PSERN live

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Last week, I didn't have SDRTrunk up (I was busy on a project), so I'm not sure when, but Sound Transit Link Light Rail is now live.
Lots of traffic between trains and dispatch this morning on the 1 line.
TG 03753, 03755, 03759, - multiple others.

Hopefully, when I have some more time, I can pin down the TGs better.
Time for a team effort getting the TGs figured out and into RR....

Tortue

Been having great reception with site 1/27 "King County West" throughout Seattle Metro area. I haven't traveled further south than Michigan Ave or further north than Northgate, but reception has been excellent inside of large buildings as well as outdoors.
I'm using a knob position for just 1/27 and another for a full site list. So far, 1/27 is locking in within a second or two.

freqseeker

If you take the "new" talk groups numbers you are seeing on PSERN, and multiply them by 16, you will see that talk group assignment over on KCERS.

The Motorola Type II systems used talk groups divisible by 16, but the P-25 systems don't.

- Chris
Great tip. So for example KCSO SW 23280 would be 1455 on PSERN.
Thank you Chris.

twem2

Premium Subscriber
Seattle Public Utilities have switched over, as of this morning.

I got some testing which identifies some TGs more precisely than the database has for the KCERS equivalent.

Everettmci

Premium Subscriber
The PSERN radio system is currently in testing at this time. Here is a note I found on the Radio Reference web page for King County Washington that explains what's going on with this new system. Some of the dates are not correct I don't know when first wave cutover is scheduled but would not be surprised if this happens first quatre of 2023. And the last wave cutover is first quarter of 2024 as the system is about a year behind schedule at this time.

System Notes

The Pugent Sound Emergency Radio Network (PSERN) has established one radio system that will drastically improve its coverage, capacity, capability, and connectivity to provide King County with reliable emergency radio functionality. The new Motorola P25 Phase II system will provide several new and improved features such as better reliability, improved interoperability, increased capacity to keep up with King County’s growing population, additional radio sites to provide improved coverage to help make sure responders maintain communication during emergencies. In addition, the aging 20-year old analog system will be replaced with state-of-the-art digital technology. The new digital network is in it's intitial testing stage, with the Wave 1 cutover to being in early 2022. The final cutover is expected in the first quarter of 2023, and the old analog legacy system will be deactivated at that Time.
Larry McIntosh

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
The PSERN radio system is currently in testing at this time. Here is a note I found on the Radio Reference web page for King County Washington that explains what's going on with this new system. Some of the dates are not correct I don't know when first wave cutover is scheduled but would not be surprised if this happens first quatre of 2023. And the last wave cutover is first quarter of 2024 as the system is about a year behind schedule at this time.

System Notes

The Pugent Sound Emergency Radio Network (PSERN) has established one radio system that will drastically improve its coverage, capacity, capability, and connectivity to provide King County with reliable emergency radio functionality. The new Motorola P25 Phase II system will provide several new and improved features such as better reliability, improved interoperability, increased capacity to keep up with King County’s growing population, additional radio sites to provide improved coverage to help make sure responders maintain communication during emergencies. In addition, the aging 20-year old analog system will be replaced with state-of-the-art digital technology. The new digital network is in it's intitial testing stage, with the Wave 1 cutover to being in early 2022. The final cutover is expected in the first quarter of 2023, and the old analog legacy system will be deactivated at that Time.
Larry McIntosh

Deployment Waves

nessnet

Premium Subscriber

Issue 54
December 22, 2022

Announcements
  • Project Connecting with Agencies: Project staff has started reaching out to each agency assigned to Wave 2 so that individual Radio Deployment Plans can be confirmed per agency. More information will be provided in early January 2023, but please review the Radio Deployment Preparation Checklist for the types of information that the Project will need from each agency.
  • Public Safety DAS Property Webinar January 4th: Register for the Seattle DAS Migration to PSERN Webinar to learn about how properties in the Seattle Area will need to prepare for the DAS Migration Process and how DAS Vendors need to support them. All Seattle DAS Properties on record have received direct notices and those communications can be reviewed in the DAS Requirements.
Wave 1 Transitioned to PSERN!
As of November 30, 2022, both Sound Transit Operations/Link Light Rail and Seattle Public Utilities have successfully transitioned to the new digital PSERN System for daily operations. This marks the end of Wave 1 Radio Deployment and is a significant milestone in the PSERN Project. Thank you to all who collaborated to make the Wave 1 Transition possible!

PSERN Project Schedule
The following Project schedule is subject to change, but is accurate as of 12/8/2022:
  • Radio Deployment & Transition: January 2022 - June 2023
  • Full System Acceptance: December 2023

Radio Deployment Progress
View the Radio Deployment Timeline for an overview of when deployment activities are scheduled to begin per wave, but the following is the general status per wave as of 12/16/2022:
  • Wave 1/SPU & Sound Transit Operations – Link Light Rail: Wave 1 deployment is considered COMPLETE, however there are five portable radios that were identified late and the Project is still working to get those exchanged for PSERN radios.
  • Wave 2/Seattle Area Agencies/Public Safety Portables: Seattle Fire and UW Police have all of their mobile PSERN radios (81% of Wave 2 portables). The remaining Wave 2 mobiles are in progress. 740 portables have been deployed to Seattle Fire, which includes 7% of the total portables to be deployed in Wave 2. Seattle Police portable deployment is planned to begin shortly. Radios to other Seattle Area agencies and other public safety agencies will be deployed as radio templates/codeplugs are ready. The target is to complete Wave 2 by February 2023.
  • Wave 3 (South of I-90 Agencies): The Project is filling in open Wave 2 mobile installation spots with Wave 3 public safety vehicles and 111 have been deployed since October. As Wave 3 public safety mobile radio templates/codeplugs are ready, those agencies will be contacted to schedule their installations. The target is to complete Wave 3 by April 2023.
  • Wave 4 (North of I-90 Agencies): Wave 4 is now scheduled to begin in February 2023 when radio templates/codeplugs are planned to be available and will continue until June 2023.
Agencies should be actively preparing each of their radios to be exchanged based on their radio ID number. Additionally, agencies with mobile radios need to ensure that the Project has the current vehicle asset number for each mobile radio ID number. More guidance can be found in the Radio Deployment Preparation Checklist.

PACNWDude

nessnet beat me to it.

I am sitting on APX6000's for private firefighters once PSERN gets this up and running. I screenshot the attached part, so I could forward it along here at work. Expensive radios being held in limbo until the county has a codeplug for me.

PSERN Dec2023.JPGAlready six months behind the original schedule......will be nice to clean out part of my lab a bit and field these 6000's.

jondeaux

Last week, I didn't have SDRTrunk up (I was busy on a project), so I'm not sure when, but Sound Transit Link Light Rail is now live.
Lots of traffic between trains and dispatch this morning on the 1 line.
TG 03753, 03755, 03759, - multiple others.

Hopefully, when I have some more time, I can pin down the TGs better.
Time for a team effort getting the TGs figured out and into RR....
I've been monitoring on both scanner SDS100 side as well as SDRtrunk side and have same observations.

I set up 4 categories on the sds100 to track the transition over.

jondeaux

If you take the "new" talk groups numbers you are seeing on PSERN, and multiply them by 16, you will see that talk group assignment over on KCERS.

The Motorola Type II systems used talk groups divisible by 16, but the P-25 systems don't.

- Chris
I just checked out the active talk groups I have been hearing on the PSERN traffic and best I can tell, the multiple of 16 seems to be accurate or best case scenario in what I'm hearing.

jondeaux

Here are some observations I have made that I got from the SDR read outs. There are 3 neighboring sites that haven't been identified or submitted on RR DB. If anyone wants to do the honors here is what I have on my end. I recently refreshed my SDR usb sticks and went with a smaller antenna for indoor use.

-

SYSTEM:3AB[939] NAC:3A7[935] RFSS:01[1] SITE:1D[29] LRA:00[0] CHANNEL:0-1233 DOWNLINK: 858.712500 UPLINK: 813.712500 STATUS:[VALID INFORMATION, ACTIVE RFSS CONNECTION]

SYSTEM:3AB[939] NAC:3A7[935] RFSS:01[1] SITE:1E[30] LRA:00[0] CHANNEL:0-1353 DOWNLINK: 859.462500 UPLINK: 814.462500 STATUS:[VALID INFORMATION, ACTIVE RFSS CONNECTION]

SYSTEM:3AB[939] NAC:3A7[935] RFSS:01[1] SITE:1F[31] LRA:00[0] CHANNEL:0-1233 DOWNLINK: 858.712500 UPLINK: 813.712500 STATUS:[VALID INFORMATION, ACTIVE RFSS CONNECTION]

-

As mentioned before I have also received some recent radio traffic on these TGID's.

I am currently monitoring the strongest site for me which is West King County site (854.4875)

TGID: 3755, 3759, 3753, 3761, 405, 3765, 449

-

I did check the previously mentioned multiple of 16 on these talk groups, and I have been able to connect them to all but 1 talk group from KCERS, so for me that information looks like it might be correct. I'm not that knowledgeable on those things, but if anyone who wants to confirm, validate, and verify that above information as correct, please do us the honors and submit it up to RR DB for us if you can.

Last edited:

Tortue

Hey jondeaux,

I'm in N. Ballard and using the West King site as well. It's been reliable for me within 8-10 miles of my location, so far.

Light Rail ops, Seattle utilities and sporadic testing by the PSERN techs have been the majority of the transmissions.
I monitor several hours every day, waiting to hear public safety transmissions, nothing yet.
Once it happens, I'm sure there'll be a flurry of postings with updated info for the RR database.

I'm using a Uniden 325p2 set for single site and a Unification G5 set multi-site and they're both coming in crystal clear (as clear as the 325p2 speaker will allow).

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
I'm using a Uniden 325p2 set for single site and a Unification G5 set multi-site and they're both coming in crystal clear (as clear as the 325p2 speaker will allow).
When the LE traffic starts, you'll probably hear nuthin' but silence... especially with those scanners. :devilish:

jondeaux

Hey jondeaux,

I'm in N. Ballard and using the West King site as well. It's been reliable for me within 8-10 miles of my location, so far.

Light Rail ops, Seattle utilities and sporadic testing by the PSERN techs have been the majority of the transmissions.
I monitor several hours every day, waiting to hear public safety transmissions, nothing yet.
Once it happens, I'm sure there'll be a flurry of postings with updated info for the RR database.

Any chance I can check out that g5 in person. I'd like to get one and I'd really love to see it in person to understand how it works and functions. I'm in the u district just odd ne 50th

ad7th

Premium Subscriber
Any chance I can check out that g5 in person. I'd like to get one and I'd really love to see it in person to understand how it works and functions. I'm in the u district just odd ne 50th
You will love one, they are great and i use mine all the time to listen to WSP and Tacoma PD. As long as they are not encrypted you will hear way better then a scanner.

Tortue

Sure, we can meet up for a show and tell.
However, I'd hold off in buying one until we know how much LEO/Fire chatter will be encrypted. I may be selling mine...
Check out the Unication sub-forum on RR. With a bit of reading, you'll get the gist of the benefits and shortcoming of these radios.
I rarely use it at it's full potential, but as a scanner, it's limited in that it can't scan multiple systems.
The HOLD/RESUME (on channel) feature is an afterthought and a bit clunky for my taste. The programming and operating software(PPS) is absolute crap (IMO), full of pitfalls and minefields. My software complaints list is much too long in this context, so I'll leave it at that.
That said, the hardware is what every other consumer grade scanner should be. That's what sold me.