• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL/XTS5000 XTS5000 PTT fix

jeanlikethis

Hello, my XTS5000 (purchased from ebay) has an very much over used PTT button. There is no much feeling of pushing it, just press hard and the radio MIGHT be in TX mode.

Other than that, the radio is in good condition. Can I just fix the PTT button part of the radio?

Thanks and have a nice day.

mbnv992

You’d have to get a new housing for it. The PTT button itself is a non-serviceable item.

jeanlikethis

Thanks. I saw some housings for sale on ebay. Are those housings OEM parts or, some unknown 3rd party products? All the best

jeanlikethis

Thanks, your solution makes a lot of sense. The original housing is a high quality one and I do want to keep my XTS5000 in the original professional way.

Just want to make sure 700/800MHz housing (PTT, turrets and display, side port,etc) shall be compatible to my UHF one. Thanks a lot.

jeanlikethis

Thanks a lot. It is harder to find a original housed XTS5000 now, especially on UHFL band. I am happy I moved fast when there was still a chance.

mbnv992

Yep all the XTS5000 housings are the same no matter what bandspilt the radio is in. The 800MHZ ones are going for dirt cheap so just look on eBay find the best looking model 3 ( or whatever model housing you currently have ) and get that one - switch out the housing and bingo - all set !

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
It was a few years ago and the button broke on my otherwise mint condit 5000 so I put on a cheap ebay aftermarket side button & paddle repair kit but it requires the existing housing sidepiece to be hacked up carefully and the new piece super glued in. I started with tearing it apart from the middle button up to not have to use tools on the side housing. The piece was not flush so I ended up with a dremel to bring it down a bit. not ideal but at the end of the day it was working. If there's one of those new aftermarket ebay housing or original with the piece already in, I'd get that.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
When it comes to the 3000/5000 third party housings you're better off getting them requesting the side ptt not installed. They use to get them finished or some unfinished then assembled In CA. Not sure if they still do but worth a shot.

I only say this as when they put them together the glue will slide under the areas where the ptt is or buttons on side panel as they slap them together moving onto next by hand.

As for buying a used a 700mhz this is also a option and never hurts. At most you'll have a radio where you can rx the 700-800 interops using the housing for what you need.

You may check wiscomm, sandy communications or sunny communications. They may be able to get you a oem new or used decent condition oem.

There was a couple used model 2 oem or one was new other used on ebay. About 99ish bucks. But unless you wanna remove the guts you're better off doing as said getting used 700mhz radio as they are cheaper than that or same.

By the sounds of it though you have a radio that has a third party housing that was outfitted at one point on radio before you owned it. Common classic sign with the third party 3/5000 housings.

jeanlikethis

Thanks for all the messages and information. I am working on it. If can't find a original housing, I would prefer keeping what I have now. XTS5000 is a great radio, I want to keep it the original professional way.

All the best.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I have a single brand new yellow Model 1 (no display or keypad) XTS5000 housing that I was going to list on ebay. PM me if you're interested.

If you are patient and careful, the electronics can all be extracted from an XTS5000 housing and swapped over to another one.

jeanlikethis

I currently fixed the button myself. I removed the button carefully and cleaned the inside. I put another bushing to the under of the button to make sure the pushing travel is not too long.

After I put the button back, it feels much better now.

Currently, I am searching for an OEM housing for my item. It needs a new housing ultimately.