452.275 MHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

I am in Forsyth County, NC and am hearing a weak repeater on 452.275 MHz with a DCS tone of 546. It comes in and out, but I very clearly heard a female voice (dispatcher?) give a locations as "at Lynch Mill Road off of 29 at the end of the exit." That is an address well into Virginia in Southern Campbell county which is well out of range of what I can hear with my HT and mag-mount antenna.

Any ideas on who this is and why I can hear it way down near Winston-Salem, NC? The only other traffic I have been able to make out is a bunch of DTMF tones at one point.

Thanks!

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
I thought of that, but apart from this frequency, I hadn't noticed any enhancement today. But even if it is skip, it would still be interesting to know who I was hearing as a quick peak at the database didn't show anything for that frequency.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
It could be that... not sure. I didn't catch much other traffic apart from what I mentioned above as there was a lot of noise on the signal.

What is the designator 10K5F1W? Can't find that one anywhere.

kc4jgc

There are folks here that can tell you right off the bat what it means. It's like mechanics glancing at a wrench and say what size it is or an old electronics enthusiast that can tell you what vacuum tube you're holding and what it's used for the millisecond you pull it out of a drawer!

I can tell you it's FM... F3E is FM voice. Let me do a quick search; I'm sure there's something on all that simply explained somewhere. F1 tells me FM digital but lemme check....

Last edited:

W4UVV

Hello all,

I am in Forsyth County, NC and am hearing a weak repeater on 452.275 MHz with a DCS tone of 546. It comes in and out, but I very clearly heard a female voice (dispatcher?) give a locations as "at Lynch Mill Road off of 29 at the end of the exit." That is an address well into Virginia in Southern Campbell county which is well out of range of what I can hear with my HT and mag-mount antenna.

Any ideas on who this is and why I can hear it way down near Winston-Salem, NC? The only other traffic I have been able to make out is a bunch of DTMF tones at one point.

Thanks!
-----------

I agree with others it is BWX. I do not agree BWX is a LTR user. The three frequency FM trs transmitter is in Lynchburg, VA located at the plant. The plant is located on Mt. Athos Road in Roanoke and definitely has the needed elevation needed for a good ground wave coverage for a 100 watt ERP system. AltaVista probably is marginal but doable reception. When I'm travelling west on Rt. 460 the Mt. Athos Road intersection is near the road's top section where the Roanoke Bypass begins. I also had no record of emission code "10K5F1W" and neither did APCO, RR or my FCC emission chart. It probably is some hybrid emission. The modulation info "W" is "angle modulation, straight FM". Well, that certainly narrows things down. But if an analog voice was heard, it definitely also supports that emission mode.

I believe you were receiving trs repeater transmissions during a temporary temperature inversion period. This anomaly typically results in compressing the transmitted signal more more to the ground terrain beyond its' typical ground wave coverage range. Also typically they don't have a long reception "life" on your end as you discovered.

John:)
W4UVV

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
-----------

I agree with others it is BWX. I do not agree BWX is a LTR user. The three frequency FM trs transmitter is in Lynchburg, VA located at the plant. The plant is located on Mt. Athos Road in Roanoke and definitely has the needed elevation needed for a good ground wave coverage for a 100 watt ERP system. AltaVista probably is marginal but doable reception. When I'm travelling west on Rt. 460 the Mt. Athos Road intersection is near the road's top section where the Roanoke Bypass begins. I also had no record of emission code "10K5F1W" and neither did APCO, RR or my FCC emission chart. It probably is some hybrid emission. The modulation info "W" is "angle modulation, straight FM". Well, that certainly narrows things down. But if an analog voice was heard, it definitely also supports that emission mode.

I believe you were receiving trs repeater transmissions during a temporary temperature inversion period. This anomaly typically results in compressing the transmitted signal more more to the ground terrain beyond its' typical ground wave coverage range. Also typically they don't have a long reception "life" on your end as you discovered.

W4UVV
That certainly sounds like what I was hearing. Thanks for the information! I don't usually expect to hear skip in the winter, but I guess temperature inversion can occur all year. I have heard that kind of stuff a while back where I could pick up the Mecklenburg TRS for a half-hour or so... very cool indeed.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
-----------

I agree with others it is BWX. I do not agree BWX is a LTR user. The three frequency FM trs transmitter is in Lynchburg, VA located at the plant. The plant is located on Mt. Athos Road in Roanoke and definitely has the needed elevation needed for a good ground wave coverage for a 100 watt ERP system. AltaVista probably is marginal but doable reception. When I'm travelling west on Rt. 460 the Mt. Athos Road intersection is near the road's top section where the Roanoke Bypass begins.

W4UVV

John, at the risk of sounding like I'm picking nits, the BWX facility is in northern Campbell County some 60 miles east of downtown Roanoke, in fact it's even east of Lynchburg. The exit for Mt Athos Road is off 460 east of Route 29. That puts it about 30 miles northeast of Altavista.

While the plant may have an elevated TX/RX antenna at/near their Campbell facility, are we sure about any connection (figuratively or otherwise) to Roanoke?

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
452.275 D546 is a SIRS link for Patrick County. As such it will pick up traffic from 39.54 from all over the place depending on band conditions.

It is NOT BWX which as has already been posted, is a P25 trunked system.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
452.275 D546 is a SIRS link for Patrick County. As such it will pick up traffic from 39.54 from all over the place depending on band conditions.

That sounds even more likely as I can indeed hear Patrick County on VHF... UHF is a bit harder, but if I get the antenna in the right place, I can copy them. Thanks!

W4UVV

John, at the risk of sounding like I'm picking nits, the BWX facility is in northern Campbell County some 60 miles east of downtown Roanoke, in fact it's even east of Lynchburg. The exit for Mt Athos Road is off 460 east of Route 29. That puts it about 30 miles northeast of Altavista.

While the plant may have an elevated TX/RX antenna at/near their Campbell facility, are we sure about any connection (figuratively or otherwise) to Roanoke?
--------------
BoxAlarm187:

:pI will attempt to heal you very simply from your recent nix picking attack :(regarding the BWX temperature inversion incident. First what was the end purpose of my post? It was to research as best I could with the available internet resources, which also are available to you and other posters, except for my past monitoring experiences. From them I attempted to make a reasonable educated guess.

My end purpose was not was a forensic site survey and analysis of BWX's transmitter/receiver site and location.:unsure:.

From my past travel experiences on Rt. 460 to and from the Bristol area, my home area, I did not have the time luxury of noting much geographic details about the Mt. Athos road's exact location in Lynchburg. I remembered the exit was near the top of the hill traveling west and beginning of the Lynchburg bypass and mentioned it only as a point of reference. My main concern at the time was attempting to avoid a traffic accident by one or more :geek:idiots doing :love:Daytona 500 like frequent lane changes charging up the hilly road to the Lynchburg bypass:eek:.

Regarding sentence four: Everyone has his own way of doing things.:giggle: As for me, part of my research routine efforts include doing a FCC Menu Reports search. For this situation, the BWX license is for a three frequency trs. I made a note of the repeater frequencies and did a frequency search for "452.2750 mhz". for all licensees in VA. Next I sight checked any obvious commercial site LTR provider(s) using that same frequency. In this case, the only possible site provider in the general area was Professional Communications, Blacksburg, VA with their antenna site located on Poor Mountain.

I next sight checked the frequencies. 452.2750 mhz. = YES; 452.4375 mhz.= NO and 452.9875 mhz.=NO. STOP! RED LIGHT ALERT!!! A LTR operator has to provide all three BWX trunked frequencies and this LTR provider did not. Conclusion: BWX was not a trs user on this LTR system and there are no other LTR providers listed for all three frequencies. My conclusion was BWX is a standalone trs. END OF SEARCH!(y)(y)(y)

In conclusion, if you had taken the time to do the same BWX frequencies check as I did, I'm sure quickly you would have concluded the same thing:).

The difference was :DI did the BWX frequencies used check and :oops:you did not do the BWX frequencies used check.

BoxAlarm 187, no harm intended, but you can see now how simple it was to heal your nix pix attack.:). The reason I remembered to do this frequencies check every time for such a situation(s) was because in the past I also had forgotten :cry:to do it and on future occasions was reminded of my past oversight. I've been there and done that. It's all just part of a learning experience.

If you want to read about mistakes, browse some of my past posts on various DMR tier installations.

W4UVV

Last edited:

W4UVV

---------
I tend to agree with you but I do not have any way of validating what a member posts. Your post also makes sense and also easily could have been a temperature inversion transmission.

W4UVV

Status
Not open for further replies.