453.175? New Haven

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKENY044

Premium Subscriber
Did anyone else catch what appeared to be New Haven PD running SWAT drills on 453.175 today?

They only used a few code's and all appeared to be NHPD codes. I doubt they would use a CMED freq (CMED-14) for op's, anyone else have any input?

KB1JHU

At around 1:00 this morning I heard encrypted traffic that seemed to be simulcast on 453.175 and the SCAN (460.150). Obviously I can't confirm it was the same traffic on both since it was encrypted, but encryption on both at the same time. I was also hearing either noise or encryption at the same time on 155.955 DPL 143. The license is for New Haven (KVG916).

GKENY044

Premium Subscriber
KB1JHU said:
At around 1:00 this morning I heard encrypted traffic that seemed to be simulcast on 453.175 and the SCAN (460.150). Obviously I can't confirm it was the same traffic on both since it was encrypted, but encryption on both at the same time. I was also hearing either noise or encryption at the same time on 155.955 DPL 143. The license is for New Haven (KVG916).

I was hearing the ENC on and off all day on 460.150, i know with the Yale graduation and the VIPs if only certain details were ENC. Im also wondering if somehow the 453.175 got rolled into the STOC's system.

Cskib32087

453.175 is one f the newer 4 chs of med channels. 453.025 453.075 453.125 453.175.
South west C-med uses 453.125 for Wilton ems and 453.075 as an additional channel in the Weston area. Northwest C-med uses them also and some towns use them for EMS.
New Haven C-med used to use it in Meriden (453.175) to take some of the traffic off med 10, but for some stupid reason went back to putting 20 + towns & 5 town medic dispatch all on 1 channel, Talk about living in the 80s, New Haven C-med takes the prize LOL

KB1JHU

Digging up an old thread here.

I have been listening to this frequency lately to try figure it out. 453.175 (167.9) is still linked to 155.955 (D 143). Yesterday I heard what could have been a surveillance op in New Haven (based on street names). I recorded activity overnight and after listening to it I have pinned the traffic down to Sussex County, Delaware. All the traffic seemed to be EMS dispatched. Sussex County mostly uses the Delaware statewide TRS, and I can't find anything about a simulcast on 453.175. That and the signal is WAY too strong to be from Delaware. The only thing I can think of is that they have a scanner hooked up to these linked repeaters and are rebroadcasting whatever they want to hear at the time.

I did dig up something that might be related. Here is a part of the Statewide Communications Interoperability Plan (SCIP)
UASI Interoperability Channel
The New Haven Urban Area Security Initiative has recently established a one site cross band repeater system (VHF High (150-160 MHz), UHF (450-512 MHz) and 800 MHz) located in the City of New Haven serving the City and the six towns contiguous to its borders. It can be used by all public safety agencies for interoperability. The network is operated by the City of New Haven on behalf of the UASI; mobile equipment is maintained by each participating public safety organization.

It mentions an 800 frequency, but if it is related, I have yet to find an 800 linked to 453.175 and 155.955

If you're in the New Haven area, listen in on these and try help me figure it out! There isn't a lot of activity and a good bit of it just seems to be key ups, but you never know what you might hear on them.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
This is nothing new!

My friend JoeTNYMedic and myself have been hearing this for at least a year now. It stunned the crap out of us when we first heard it. It definitely is PD and its not the first time they have run drills like this. It is without a doubt, a special unit ( Swat,Detectives,Multi-Regional Agencies,ect..) I dont get it but it is there and has been for a while. If someone nails it down,please post something.

Manny

KB1JHU

Just figured out the 800 based on a suggestion ecps92 posted at Scan New England and some patient listening.

853.4125 - DPL 445

New Haven PD's old MDT freq.

This has to be what I posted above, the New Haven UASI.
UASI Interoperability Channel
The New Haven Urban Area Security Initiative has recently established a one site cross band repeater system (VHF High (150-160 MHz), UHF (450-512 MHz) and 800 MHz) located in the City of New Haven serving the City and the six towns contiguous to its borders. It can be used by all public safety agencies for interoperability. The network is operated by the City of New Haven on behalf of the UASI; mobile equipment is maintained by each participating public safety organization.

Last edited:

GKENY044

Premium Subscriber
Scott,
When i posted the original thread it was indeed swat drills at the New Haven Fire Academy. However, if you heard surveillence the other night, it may be just that, keep in mind that New Haven just got its narcotics unit back up and running, and this freq may be being used for that.

KB1JHU

If they were using it for surveillance, it's a terrible idea, since it's apparently intended to be an interoperability system. It certainly sounded like it, but it could have been training. Either way, all 3 frequencies are definitely linked and it certainly fits the description of the UASI system. One thing to note is that when there is traffic on any of the repeaters, there is an awful tone in the audio. Makes it hard to understand what is being said.

ecps92

Patched for the Swat Medics assigned to the Operation to be in-the-loop?

Sounds like more Listening is needed.

If they were using it for surveillance, it's a terrible idea, since it's apparently intended to be an interoperability system. It certainly sounded like it, but it could have been training. Either way, all 3 frequencies are definitely linked and it certainly fits the description of the UASI system. One thing to note is that when there is traffic on any of the repeaters, there is an awful tone in the audio. Makes it hard to understand what is being said.

GKENY044

Premium Subscriber
Ya never know what they'll try next though. In all honesty everyone has 460.150 in their scanners down here and its known that NHPD uses it for their U/C ops. having limited resources it wouldnt be a bad move if on occasion use a freq no one listens to. The only reason i originally noticed was because i had "med 11-14" in my radio.

KB1JHU

Ya never know what they'll try next though. In all honesty everyone has 460.150 in their scanners down here and its known that NHPD uses it for their U/C ops. having limited resources it wouldnt be a bad move if on occasion use a freq no one listens to. The only reason i originally noticed was because i had "med 11-14" in my radio.

That was how I found it. Then I discovered the link to 155.955 when the license was changed from that being the NH Coliseum to the eligibility being "APPLICANT IS A MUNICIPALITY AND THE RADIOS WILL BE USED IN THE COORDINATION OF PUBLIC SAFETY FIRST RESPONDER PERSONNEL" and the location was changed to East Rock.

I had both in the scanner and that annoying tone matched perfectly.

GKENY044

Premium Subscriber
Scott a few other minor points, 155.955 pl 85.4 was the old coliseum security frequency.
and as far as delaware the annoying skip was going on the other night on NHPD F2 460.450 from down there, one a month a very very clear signal comes up our way, sometimes strong enough to chase NHPD off channel 2.

I'm going to monitor the freqs and see if i can maybe through something out there.

KB1JHU

Scott a few other minor points, 155.955 pl 85.4 was the old coliseum security frequency.
and as far as delaware the annoying skip was going on the other night on NHPD F2 460.450 from down there, one a month a very very clear signal comes up our way, sometimes strong enough to chase NHPD off channel 2.

I'm going to monitor the freqs and see if i can maybe through something out there.

I think that's what was getting into it. There is a simulcast of the Delaware TRS Sussex County Fire/EMS TG on 453.175 in Bethany Beach. The DB lists the output PL at 67.0, and that may well be the input to the repeater for normal use, but they may have the TRS simulcast coming from a remote location on 458.175 with PL 167.9

I didn't find any licenses on the input to the 155.955 in Delaware, so that's why I think it's on the UHF end. I doubt it's coming in on 800

I suppose I could post in the Delaware forum and see if anyone down there can confirm activity on 458.175 with the 167.9 PL

Posted in Delaware forum: http://www.radioreference.com/forum...sussex-co-traffic-getting-into-ct-system.html

Last edited:

Cskib32087

It is the UASI system. 3 Motorola Quantars patched together at east rock all Analog & Digital capabile.
All of them can pass encryption. According to the grant it is for port security.
The UHF has a squeel on it anytime it keys up. the VHF covers real well.
Im told the SCAN repeater was relocated to east rock not to long ago, so maybe it got patched in, I have herd encryption on the scan channel before I have also copyed branford PD on it in digital a few times

ecps92

Seems to be called NHASH [New Haven Area ? ?] maybe some Google searches later today, might dig up more info

It is the UASI system. 3 Motorola Quantars patched together at east rock all Analog & Digital capabile.
All of them can pass encryption. According to the grant it is for port security.
Im told the SCAN repeater was relocated to east rock not to long ago, so maybe it got patched in, I have herd encryption on the scan channel before I have also copyed branford PD on it in digital a few times

cbear14

Nhash

NHASH=New Haven area special hazards .This involves ,3 Unused NH CMED frequencies ,used by the joint New Haven area hazmat teams.

GKENY044

Premium Subscriber

I am not sure about the quantity but New Haven does have portables with encryption capabilites and at times does use them. Their dispatch however cannot monitor it. Every now and then you'll hear the dispatcher tell them to turn it off.
The weekend billy white was arrested it was non stop encryption on SCAN.

pro961

Noise on channel

Heard Radio repair working on system Tuesday. When he finished annoying tone was gone. System sounded good.

Status
Not open for further replies.