Chinese reconnaissance balloon spotted over the United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Interesting news hitting, there are reports that there is a Chinese reconnaissance balloon currently floating over the United States. The WSJ reports that the US government "acted immediately to protect the collection of sensitive information" - which presumably means they are jamming it or otherwise implementing some countermeasures to prevent the balloon from collecting or sending info.

Anyone know where it currently is? It was spotted by a commercial airliner this week.

Reports also indicate that President Biden ordered it to be shot down, however the military was concerned about potential casualites on the ground if they did so.

So, amateur ELINT sleuths, any idea where this balloon currently is? We might start looking by checking ADS-B for interesting military aircraft activity, possibly any new TFRs in place where some specialized military aircraft operations may be occuring.

prcguy

The balloon entered Montana through Canada a few days ago. You might be able to find high altitude wind data over the last few days to see where it might be headed then a plane spotting app targeting mil aircraft to find a hot spot.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Last I read it was around Billings, MT. Additional reports noted that it came in over the Aleutian Islands then through Canada, and was last in Montana, so figure whatever tracking path. My guess is it is above 50k and I'm not finding anything identifying as a balloon at that altitude using ADS-B, not that a spy balloon would send a signal. ;)

P.S. If anyone observes HBAL817, that's not it.

drapheus

In my area all flights where stopped, grounded, and or diverted. Orders from SLC Air control sent to Billings Air Traffic Control.

"Senior defense official confirms Chinese high-altitude balloon was seen over Montana"
From Kulr8 news website in Billings Montana.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
there are 3 KC-135's on ADS-B without callsigns all loitering between Shelby and Havre MT right now, presumably supporting assets that are doing the dirty work (jamming it, getting ready to shoot it down etc)

I think they all 3 came out of Fairchild AFB in Spokane.

Pretty remote out there, but there are a lot of ICBM missile fields in the area. I would imagine there might be some pretty good Mil-Air going on in that area.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
I'd be surprised if anything more than a close flyby in afterburner couldn't take it down.

I was initially thinking of a nice high powered laser designator, but, it might take more power than that depending on the materials used.

My guess is that they are mostly gathering info from it since it might wipe all the data if collects if it descends too quickly.

A RC--135 would be an appropriate thing to have in the area, at least in my mind.

Thanks
Joel

Treaty7

there are 3 KC-135's on ADS-B without callsigns all loitering between Shelby and Havre MT right now, presumably supporting assets that are doing the dirty work (jamming it, getting ready to shoot it down etc)

I think they all 3 came out of Fairchild AFB in Spokane.

Pretty remote out there, but there are a lot of ICBM missile fields in the area. I would imagine there might be some pretty good Mil-Air going on in that area.
I monitor first responders and aircraft along the US Canada border from South Eastern Alberta, including counties surrounding Havre.
Its been business as usual past few days.
Better chance any military aircraft especially surveillance would come from Malmstrom airforce base near Greatfalls.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
My guess is that they are mostly gathering info from it since it might wipe all the data if collects if it descends too quickly.

I remember watching some military show a long while ago that showed a way to pickup downed pilots by having a pilot inflate a balloon with helium and use a cable attached to a harness on them to raise the balloon up and using a aircraft with a “V” shaped attachment on the front that would fly over and snag the pilot and lift them in the air. You could probably use a similarly equipped aircraft to do the same with the balloon.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
PSX_20230202_192110.jpg

I saw SAM 173, 737 going over Billings, Montana at 19:15. Anybody know what that is?

I was just wondering if this special air Mission had anything to do with the balloon?

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
At this time 19:00, I am not seeing any military aircraft in Montana on ADS-B Exchange. There are 2 at Spokane.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
View attachment 135632

I saw SAM 173, 737 going over Billings, Montana at 19:15. Anybody know what that is?

I was just wondering if this special air Mission had anything to do with the balloon?
I think that is the SecDef returning from the Philippines. He probably flew by to check it out

Status
Not open for further replies.