What to Listen To on HF in NYC?

retrosonic

Hi folks. Technician license here. After a long layoff, I'm just getting back to using my Baofeng GT-3TP.

I dont seem to be able to find any active frequencies here in NYC, listening mostly at night. I dont hear anything. have they all moved to some kind of digital system?
I apologize for not being "up" on my digital radio knowledge.
Can anyone reco some good frequencies to listen to, or reco a new radio to buy>?

Many thanks,
Retro

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
That radio is not an HF radio, for one. As far as amateur radio is concerned, it would cover 2m and 70cm. So what exactly have you tried? Which frequencies, etc.?

retrosonic

Hi alcahuete. Thanks for the reply. When I put it on scan, nothing comes up. I've tried many of the frequencies that I used to listen to. Is it possible that they have moved to some sort of digital system?

w2xq

Mentor
MetroCor.net is the frequency coordination organization for the New York metro area. Look at the listings for 2M and 70CM to determine what repeaters you might be able to listen to. You not only need the frequencies but any required PL tone setting. You might also try listening to the standard 2 meter simplex frequency of 146.520 MHz.

You may want to join an amateur radio in your area -- Clubs -- and members may be able to help.

You should know that your GT-3TP radio will only pick up FM signals, not DMR, DSTAR or C4FM. MetroCor's listings include the mode.

As to activity at night, you may find activity peaks during the weekday morning and evening drive times.

HTH.

Solidjake

When I ran my Yaesu in the car almost all of the channels from southern NJ to Queens were quiet at night and this is from 0200-0330

N3KZ is great if you can reach it linked system down to Philly.