Q about amateurs frequency allowed to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radio2love

Hello radio amateurs.
Im pretty new to this forum, and my experience in using radio transmitters/walkie talkie is limited.
Basically it's the first time Im going to use my radio in US and I have couple of questions about the frequency I allowed to use.
My radio allow me to pick up almost any frequency but I'm not sure if in US each state (or each county) has their own amateur frequencies.
For instance, I checked, that I can use 462.6125 in Dutchess County NY without interfere with any government entities.
I don't know if this is the same for other states in USA ? For instance, I'm going to Grand County (Utah) and Mesa County (Colorado) this summer.
Do I have to check the local legislation against each state/county Im going to use my radio or FCC rules covers all states?
Please advise guys. Thank you

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Oh boy, here we go.

Your amateur licence grants you privileges to transmit on amateur radio frequencies only. 462.6125MHz is not an amateur radio frequency so you are not allowed to transmit on it.

Do you even have an amateur radio licence? Someone with an amateur radio licence would know the answer to such a basic question.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the RR forums. This is a regularly discussed topic here. Why not start by telling us who you are and what your transmitting intentions are? You need to be licensed to transmit on all FCC bands with exception of FRS and Citizens Band
For instance, I checked, that I can use 462.6125 in Dutchess County NY without interfere with any government entities.
This is FRS channel 3 so it should be free to use. Monitor the frequency for activity first as not to interfere with anyone else using the frequency

Radio2love

Thank you folks, but my question are not related to licensing.

I would like to know if the allowed (to use) amateur frequencies in NY state are the same as Colorado or Utah.
Could you please advise?

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
What radio do you plan to use? Some aren't FCC approved for use on FRS/GMRS/MURS and as such can't legally be used.. (Confusing isn't it :) )

Some of the cheap Chinese radios out there are only legal for amateur (ham) radio. To operate on amateur frequencies, you have to write (and pass) an exam and then obtain an operating license.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator

I would like to know if the allowed (to use) amateur frequencies in NY state are the same as Colorado or Utah.
Could you please advise?
Yes.

Radio2love

What radio do you plan to use? Some aren't FCC approved for use on FRS/GMRS/MURS and as such can't legally be used.. (Confusing isn't it :) )

Some of the cheap Chinese radios out there are only legal for amateur (ham) radio. To operate on amateur frequencies, you have to write (and pass) an exam and then obtain an operating license.
so FRS and MURS freqiencies in NY are similar to Colorado and Utah ?

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber

Could you please advise?
Well technically it is related to licensing since you need to be licensed to use the amateur bands. Why not have a look at the link below. As long as your class of license allows you to operate on the intended band it doesn't matter what state you operate in

so FRS and MURS freqiencies in NY are similar to Colorado and Utah ?
Yes, these frequencies are the same nationwide

Radio2love

I spent couple weeks talking with FCC about licensing. The final reply was: "Equipment authorized under Part 15 does not need a license to transmit".
Anyways, thanks for your prompt help verticals!

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I spent couple weeks talking with FCC about licensing. The final reply was: "Equipment authorized under Part 15 does not need a license to transmit".
Neither amateur radio or GMRS/FRS/MURS are part 15. And again, exactly how did you talk to the FCC? Inquiring minds want to know.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider

You need to review part 15.

Part 15 does not cover GMRS, FRS, MURS, CB or amateur radio. Basically nothing you are asking is related to part 15.

nd5y

Amateur radios and scanners that cover certain frequency ranges require Part 15 equipment certification for the receiver. That doesn't mean a license isn't required for transmitting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.