Can I hire a tutor for 396XT? Between Myrtle Beach, SC and Wilmington, NC

TonypBrat

I bought a 396XT from a friend and fellow RR member. It was programmed with NC Viper, Brunswick County and New Hanover County. But I have managed to mess that up somehow and cannot scan anything. This is so over my head.
I now live in Holden Beach, NC which is on the NC Coast between Myrtle Beach, SC and Wilmington, NC.
I have owned many scanners since 1976 using them as a newspaper and NASCAR photographer. My most recent scanner was a RS Pro-97 that was worn out and died several months ago.
I have been trying to read and understand online manuals and youtube videos with no luck.
thanks,
Tony p

TonypBrat

Much easier to use software to program a large trunked radio system such as VIPER. Consider Proscan with an RR premium sub, well worth the investment
Much easier to use software to program a large trunked radio system such as VIPER. Consider Proscan with an RR premium sub, well worth the investment
Thanks Whiskey3JMC,
The scanner is programmed. But I am really struggling with the actually using it. I think I am just going to sell the 396xt and buy a RS Pro-97 like the one that finally stopped wotking, and use that. At least I know very well how to use it.
I appreciate all the help!
Tony p

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
The scanner is programmed. But I am really struggling with the actually using it. I think I am just going to sell the 396xt and buy a RS Pro-97 like the one that finally stopped wotking, and use that. At least I know very well how to use it.
I appreciate all the help!
Tony p

I do not believe the PRO 97 uses 700 MHz freqs which a lot of VIPER has transitioned to, though not in New Hanover Co.

TonypBrat

I do not believe the PRO 97 uses 700 MHz freqs which a lot of VIPER has transitioned to, though not in New Hanover Co.
I do not want nor need Viper or 700 where I live, at least not for now. Everything I really want to hear is between 151.xxx and 453.xxx at least for now..
thanks,
Tony p

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I do not want nor need Viper or 700 where I live, at least not for now. Everything I really want to hear is between 151.xxx and 453.xxx at least for now..
thanks,
Tony p
Okay sorry, I thought you mentioned VIPER earlier.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
the more you play with the scanner the more you will learn how to use it and dont forget to read the user manual for the radio and software.

TonypBrat

Okay sorry, I thought you mentioned VIPER earlier.
I did mentioned that the scanner was programmed for NC Viper as well as New hanover, and brunswick. But for some reason, namely my not understanding how use the scanner, or maybe I have hit some wrong buttons and do not know how to access these programmed groups. I dont know if I accidentally locked them out, or deleted them. I just find this scanner very difficult compared to any annalog scanner I have ever used. And the youtube videos and supposed ez instructions are just not helpful to me.
I appreciate your help.
Sorry If I sound so confused, but I am very confused!
tony p

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
there are no easy to use scanners today, they all have a learning curve, some steeper than others, and the only way to learn how to use them and program them your self is play with them.

TonypBrat

there are no easy to use scanners today, they all have a learning curve, some steeper than others, and the only way to learn how to use them and program them your self is play with them.
Been playing with it since Sunday Night....
Would be a LOT easier if there was some instructions that make sense.
Even youtube videos for 396XT are not much help.
thanks
Tony p

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Been playing with it since Sunday Night....
Would be a LOT easier if there was some instructions that make sense.
Even youtube videos for 396XT are not much help.
thanks
Tony p
You might look at some of the videos for the 325P2. While the 325P2 is a newer model, with features not available on the 396XT, and a slightly different keypad, the base programming for conventional & trunked systems is the same.

Did you take a look at Scanner School, which RaleighGuy mentioned in a previous response?

tvengr

Well Known Member
If the scanner is programmed using quick keys, you may have turned off systems and groups. Here is a PDF file which will answer all of your questions about using quick keys.

Attachments

• Uniden Scanner Quick Key Instructions DMA.pdf
    11 KB · Views: 7

RickH

Tony, I am so sorry you are having problems with the 396XT. Bet a lot of us experienced “self Inflicted problems” when we moved to the newer models. Not having a Windows based computer makes it even harder. Have searched for scanner programs that run on Macs, but haven’t found anything.

TonypBrat

Tony, I am so sorry you are having problems with the 396XT. Bet a lot of us experienced “self Inflicted problems” when we moved to the newer models. Not having a Windows based computer makes it even harder. Have searched for scanner programs that run on Macs, but haven’t found anything.
I will have a Windows 10 laptop in two days.