Rotating your coax: A guide for newbies

N9JIG

Sheriff
Everyone knows that the coax is the most important part of a scanner antenna system. What many people forget is that, like the tires on your car, you need to rotate the coax from time to time. Spring is the optimum time to rotate the coax for most people, when it is warmer than winter and not too hot as summer. A lot of people are looking for outside projects after a long winter so spring is the best time for this important task.

Why should I rotate my coax? Well, for the same reasons you rotate your tires; even out the wear. On receiving antennas electrons flow in only one direction; from the antenna to the radio. Eventually that wears down the makeup of the copper in the center conductor of the coax. The breakdown at a molecular scale adversely affects the ability for the copper to conduct electrical impulses. Since RF signals on receive antennas are so miniscule to begin with, this can negatively impact the ability for the coax to pass weak signals.

Strong signals don't suffer as much of course, as they can overcome to broken down molecular structure of the copper as it ages. Weaker signals are attenuated at a higher level as they do not have the strength to push thru the degraded copper. This causes weaker signals to be even more weak or even not heard altogether.

Rotating the coax will allow the copper's molecular structure to wear at a more even pace. Since the effect is, of course, directional, those weaker signals are heard just fine again once you reverse the coax.

The biggest issue with rotating coax (and why so many people do not bother with it) is that it is a lot of work to take it down and put it back up again. Also there sometimes are issues with connectors. If you have a BNC on one end and a PL-259 on the other, you may have to use adapters or cut off the connectors and install new ones. It is for this reason that I always buy my coax a few feet longer than needed so that I can cut the ends and install new connectors each spring. Some of them have the same connectors at both ends so it isn't an issue. I could use adapters, but they cause other problems.

Now that the weather is warming up (and before it gets too hot here in the desert) I am going up in the attic and pulling all my coax to I can reverse them. I always label my coax with a red tape on one end and blue on the other, so in even years I have blue ends in the shack and red at the antennas. Odd years are, of course, reversed.

By properly rotating your antenna coax it will last much, much longer than without. I have some coax that is 40 years old and is still going strong, having been rotated almost every year since I bought it! You probably could get away with going 2 years between rotations but I wouldn't suggest going much longer than that as the molecular breakdown might get to the point where it is irreversible.

If you have made it this far then hopefully you have checked the date of this post.

W5ATX

Premium Subscriber
Actually he's right, ever see a pair of directional speaker cables or ones that require a certain amount of hours to "break them in" ? what's interesting is that if you're using a piece of coax connected to a transceiver, then rotating the coax isn't necessary as long as you're transmitting over 10 MHz and with about 100-watts or more. Ever wonder why most HF ham radios are 100 watts? it's because the power transmitted to the antenna will "align" the ions inside the PE or PTFE insulative jacket that separates the 2 layers (remember it's a co-axial cable) and increases velocity factor from 86% to 92%. since there is no magnetic flux assistance on a receive-only antenna hooked to a scanner, it will eat at the copper instead of the insulator so it's good idea to rotate the coax. If you do this about every 6 months it will scrub any directional impurities picked up from atmospheric radiation (alpha and beta x-rays will still penetrate the shield) and sometimes there are some left over from the manufacturing process. so to solve this, there's an expensive machine (called an encabulator) that will permanently pre-align the ions, but the cost is about 4x more per foot. And since its only good for a few more dB, most of us hams don't mess with it. Here's a quick video of the encabulator machine made by Rockwell Automation:
better late than never, happy April Fools! :geek:

merlin

I have to disagree with this. Never heard of such thing.
Many people are going to commercial or industrial grade coax.
Even with cheaper coax, RF voltages and currents will never degrade the conductors.
The only thing that may cause a degradation is water or moisture intrusion into the coax.
If installed properly and connectors properly sealed, that may never happen.
Kinks, abrasions, cuts, puntures can damage coax of any sort.
Again, proprly installed, no reason a run of coax cant last 40 years,
Just about all coax has a minimum bend radius and a flexing spec.
Coax also has a maximum voltage and current spec.
Unless those specs are exceeded, an exposed antenna will corode to useless before
coax failure.
Sorry, I couldn't come up with an April fool thing for this.

Reactions: wtp

W5ATX

Premium Subscriber
I zoomed in on the part number of the special coax in case you missed it. :giggle:

COAX.jpg

wtp

don't plug coax into AC
that mske the electrons go back and forth very fast.
in will then feed back into the wiring and double the voltage and blow out everything in the out.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I feel like such an idiot. I didn’t realize until today what significance the post date had. I only have four runs of coax, but spent all day Sunday rotating my coax. Fortunately I put a courtesy wrap of electrical tape on so getting the weather proofing off wasn’t that big of a deal.

Oh well. I was wondering why I had never heard about this before.

ecps92

I feel like such an idiot. I didn’t realize until today what significance the post date had. I only have four runs of coax, but spent all day Sunday rotating my coax. Fortunately I put a courtesy wrap of electrical tape on so getting the weather proofing off wasn’t that big of a deal.

Oh well. I was wondering why I had never heard about this before.
Only thing missing was the proper SPF to protect the Coax

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
You should massage your coax every year for optimum performance. What happens is a build up of electrons around the bends, blocking other electrons from a free flowing path. By massaging and bending these areas will help reduce the blockages resulting in increased range, lower noise, and better power output at the antenna

Last edited:

W5ATX

Premium Subscriber
You should massage your coax every year for optimum performance. What happens is a build up of electrons around the bends, blocking other electrons from a free flowing path. By massaging and bending these areas will help reduce the blockages resulting in increased range, lower noise, and better power output at the antenna
Don't forget to re-apply the UV blocker after you massage it. I know it sounds bass-ackwards to apply the lotion after you rub it out but some people overlook this crucial step.

Ok i better stop or this april fools joke is going to go on for a week. :LOL:

Not necessarily a bad thing this day and age, we could all use a little humor.

The real funny part is some people thought this was a serious thread!