Sentinel: SENTINEL SOFTWARE Updating FAVORITES LISTS when updating Database

Utahscan12

When I connect my UNIDEN SDS100 to my computer / Sentinel Software the first thing I do each time is to update the Master Database:

QUESTION: If there is a new frequency that is part of one of my FAVORITE LISTS, will the new frequency be added to the corresponding FAVORITE LIST? If not, how do I make sure all of my FAVORITES LISTS are kept updated?

Thanks so much in advance.

Curt'

FORUMS SIGNATURE.png

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
If only this exact question had been asked in these forums before such that the next person could just search for the answer … hmmmm.

Since it’s a simple enough answer … no, updating db does not touch your favorite lists.

You’ll have to check for updates manually and apply them yourself either with Sentinel by appending from db or adding/changing by hand.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
When I connect my UNIDEN SDS100 to my computer / Sentinel Software the first thing I do each time is to update the Master Database:

QUESTION: If there is a new frequency that is part of one of my FAVORITE LISTS, will the new frequency be added to the corresponding FAVORITE LIST? If not, how do I make sure all of my FAVORITES LISTS are kept updated?

Thanks so much in advance.

Curt'

View attachment 142853
I would mention in ProScan, there is a feature that checks your Favorites list entries versus the main database, to see if they are the same.

Look in the very long Official Software thread for some of the discussion of this, starting about here. In the range from that post to the current end of the thread, there are several comments on this feature. Note that this only apples to systems that were imported via ProScan from the database. It does not apply to systems manually created, nor those created by appending from the database in Sentinel.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
If only this exact question had been asked in these forums before such that the next person could just search for the answer … hmmmm.
Some find it easier to start a new thread asking an FAQ & wait a half hour or more for an answer than to search existing threads and potentially have the answer within seconds. The forum search is quite a powerful, albeit under-utilized tool, one just has to be adept at using it to their advantage

Utahscan12

Since it’s a simple enough answer … no, updating db does not touch your favorite lists.

You’ll have to check for updates manually and apply them yourself either with Sentinel by appending from db or adding/changing by hand.
jtwalker,

I am new to the website, forums, and scanning. Not sure what your first sentence is implying. If I posted my question incorrectly?; my apologizes. And input on the correct way would be appreciated.

You then stated ....db does not touch your favorite lists. How do I go about seeing the 'updated' frequencies that may apply to my FAVORITE LISTS ? I do know how to 'append' my FAVORITE LISTS once I know a frequency I want to add.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
I am new to the website, forums, and scanning. Not sure what your first sentence is implying. If I posted my question incorrectly?; my apologizes. And input on the correct way would be appreciated.
Use the forum search box. Proper forum entities to search before posting a new topic.

To know what has changed you have to follow the changes as they occur in RadioReference pages for the county and system. If you are a premium subscriber you can set up a watch list to help with this.

Utahscan12

Use the forum search box. Proper forum entities to search before posting a new topic.

To know what has changed you have to follow the changes as they occur in RadioReference pages for the county and system. If you are a premium subscriber you can set up a watch list to help with this.
Thank you .. my apologizes in not following proper protocol.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
jtwalker,

This question, about 'automatic' updates, or similar wording, has frequently been raised in both the Software forum, as well as on the manufacturer specific forums (like Uniden, Whistler, etc). Your profile specifies you as a "Member", so your posts appears on the forums when you hit the Reply button, even though are still fairly new to scanners and these forms. 'Brand New' posters, classified as "Newbies" are moderated for content posted (to weed out spammers and other undesirables). In those cases, it may take some time, often hours, for the newbie;s post to be viewed by a moderator & approved to be posted. For those newbies, especially, rather than waiting an hour or more for their post to appear, if a few minutes were used to search the topic, they quite likely wiukd have had their question answered very quickly through previous posts by others.

You then stated ....db does not touch your favorite lists. How do I go about seeing the 'updated' frequencies that may apply to my FAVORITE LISTS ? I do know how to 'append' my FAVORITE LISTS once I know a frequency I want to add.
Other than manually comparing your lists with the database, there is no 'automatic' option except with using specific software (ProScan) to find what changed. That's in my previous response.

As jt noted, you are a Premium Subscriber. You can set up your "My RR" page and designate which counties, trunked systems, and state agencies to watch. That creates a customized page, the first one you see when logged into the site. Agencies and trunked systems where a change has been made in the last 24 hours will be highlighted in green. If a change has been made more than 24 hours, butwithin the last seven days, will be shaded yellow. For conventional (non-trunked) frequencies, the name of the county where that frequency is used will be green for changes in the last 24 hours, and yellow if within the last 7 days.

Quite often, especially with trunked systems, the change may be a slight text or background setting, that has zero impact on how that item should be purchased. You are in Utah (per your profile), so you have a statewide system that may well be shaded green at times. But when you look at that system in the database, the change quite often will be in a different city and county, which do not require any changes in your settings. Look at the items changed. For 'background settings', on trunked systems, you will see no change on the page, so none will be needed on your part.

Utahscan12

This question, about 'automatic' updates, or similar wording, has frequently been raised in both the Software forum, as well as on the manufacturer specific forums (like Uniden, Whistler, etc). Your profile specifies you as a "Member", so your posts appears on the forums when you hit the Reply button, even though are still fairly new to scanners and these forms. 'Brand New' posters, classified as "Newbies" are moderated for content posted (to weed out spammers and other undesirables). In those cases, it may take some time, often hours, for the newbie;s post to be viewed by a moderator & approved to be posted. For those newbies, especially, rather than waiting an hour or more for their post to appear, if a few minutes were used to search the topic, they quite likely wiukd have had their question answered very quickly through previous posts by others.

Other than manually comparing your lists with the database, there is no 'automatic' option except with using specific software (ProScan) to find what changed. That's in my previous response.

As jt noted, you are a Premium Subscriber. You can set up your "My RR" page and designate which counties, trunked systems, and state agencies to watch. That creates a customized page, the first one you see when logged into the site. Agencies and trunked systems where a change has been made in the last 24 hours will be highlighted in green. If a change has been made more than 24 hours, butwithin the last seven days, will be shaded yellow. For conventional (non-trunked) frequencies, the name of the county where that frequency is used will be green for changes in the last 24 hours, and yellow if within the last 7 days.

Quite often, especially with trunked systems, the change may be a slight text or background setting, that has zero impact on how that item should be purchased. You are in Utah (per your profile), so you have a statewide system that may well be shaded green at times. But when you look at that system in the database, the change quite often will be in a different city and county, which do not require any changes in your settings. Look at the items changed. For 'background settings', on trunked systems, you will see no change on the page, so none will be needed on your part.
Thanks so much for all of this information ......... very helpful and easy to understand.

Curt'

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Thank you .. my apologizes in not following proper protocol.
Hello, Utahscan 12.

Speaking only for myself, I don't think you need to apologize for asking a question that's been asked before.

I asked the very same question a year or so ago, and it doesn't bother me one bit to try and help someone who may not yet be adept at wording a RadioReference query very effectively. There are probably a half-dozen ways to ask that question, and until you asked this time, I didn't know that ProScan could be used to detect changes, as hiegtx pointed out above.

Happy monitoring!

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

Utahscan12

Johnnie,

Thank you for taking the time to respond, and for what you said. I don't look at a 'hobby' as something that should be nothing more than enjoyable and a great way to pass time. Scanning is that to me. I look at the forums as a big room, with a lot of people. I try to always respect the people in the room, and appreciate the understanding when I may not follow protocol. I WANT to follow protocol, but when I don't I appreciate understanding.

Thank you again Johnnie,

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Johnnie,

Thank you for taking the time to respond, and for what you said. I don't look at a 'hobby' as something that should be nothing more than enjoyable and a great way to pass time. Scanning is that to me. I look at the forums as a big room, with a lot of people. I try to always respect the people in the room, and appreciate the understanding when I may not follow protocol. I WANT to follow protocol, but when I don't I appreciate understanding.

Thank you again Johnnie,
You're very welcome, Utahscan12!

It's 'way past time for everyone on this planet to start being a little more patient and polite with each other.

Thanks for your kind words.

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)