Status
Not open for further replies.

slicerwizard

It flashes "Warning: System Type 31 is invalid <should be 1,2,4,8 or 16>"
When I go to system/edit setting/tables/system type it shows system type: -1. I can't change it to 8.
You just press backspace to delete the -1, then press 8 and Enter.

I have the same problem with the VHF 138 range
Just enter the correct bandplan values under System Menu / Edit Settings / Tables, and then apply the updated bandplan.

Perhaps knowing how to read entire postings would be a useful skill, too. :roll:

The link you provide has version 4.63 available. We were discussing 4.88 (as mentioned by the OP) and the fact that the latest version we can find is 4.86.
You're looking at DOS TRUNK88 4.63; Win32-TRUNK88-488x.zip is what others are grabbing.

The 800 MHz frequencies are the Default bandplan.

While there is a "Correct" way to fix your problems via the Menu, I can't remember the applicable Commands.

I recommend that you unZip a fresh copy of the TRUNK88.CTL file, and start anew.

TRUNK88.CTL can be edited with a simple Text Editor, such as Notepad. I would suggest you change the "System Type", and replace the "800 MHz Standard Bandplan" entries with the applicable 900 MHz, or 138 MHz information, before your run TRUNK88 for the first time.

The "System Type" field can be found near the top of the TRUNK88.CTL file (about 28 lines in), and the Bandplan tables are near the end.

Not the most elegant way of doing things, but it should get you going.
The easy method is detailed in the New User Quick Start section of the ReadMe.txt file that nobody reads.

Look for Bandplan Range #1. Whatever is entered into that field replace it with 900.000Mhz. If there is anything in step and offset clear them out too.
Just entering 900.0000 in the Bandplan Range #1 Base field is all that's required. TRUNK88 will immediately display "System default bandplan set to 900 MHz"

What is the advantage of Trunk88 over Unitrunker?
TRUNK88 reports all system activity, even the odd event that it doesn't understand. Motorola could add a new event/rejection/whatever tomorrow, and TRUNK88 would still report it.

And there's the no tap option - not everyone has the resources to tap their radio, or the funds for a CCdump-capable radio (or the will to tie it up on CC Dump duty...)

Even if you had one of the Uniden XT scanners, you'd be far better off using the headphone jack of an old scanner - headphone jack audio can provide 100% accurate decoding while Uniden's CC Dump is full of garbage decodes that would drive me nuts.

Northerner71

Yeah that is what he is saying.
folks like to misuse the terms "digital voice talkgroups" with "P25".
I have been guilty of this in the past myself.
Here in NC VIPER is a mixed mode system (analog & digital voice talkgroups)
with a 3600baud CC. Hence why anyone can use T88 to decode it.
Yet folks call it a analog & P25 system all the time or say that a specific
TG is "P25" instead of "digital voice".
It has become a pet peeve of mine as it only confuses folks new to the hobby.
To be totally accurate a system is only truly "P25" if it has a 9600Baud CC.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Sorry, you are right my bad. I monitor a 3600 baud analog/digital voice system. I always thought it was P25. Now I know.
I love Trunk88 because I see everything clear as day, and I get to set it up the way I want. I also like UT but do not find it as easy. Both guys deserve a huge pat on the back for giving us amazing programs for free.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
I couldn't live without running trunk88. I had too for a week when my tapped scanner died and well it was not a very good week.

Northerner71

I know the feeling. I run to my computer when something happens, not only do I like to hear what is going on, I like to see it. I wonder how many people use Trunk88 to control scanners? I do not but have always thought about it.

D

DaveNF2G

I apologize to ND5Y and anyone else who might have felt that I stepped on them with my previous comments. I did obtain 4.88D from the link as stated.

I guess my ability to read entire pages is not always reliable, either. :)

FlashP

Well, the 4.88 version acts totally whacko on one local system: it jumps back and forth between two different sysids (2502 and 03a5, the first is correct). Spends a few seconds on one, then redraws the page on the other, then repeats the process. Pretty useless.

The older version merely kicks out the message "Unknown OSW: [308 G 3A5] [320 G 2594]".

slicerwizard

Well, the 4.88 version acts totally whacko on one local system: it jumps back and forth between two different sysids (2502 and 03a5, the first is correct). Spends a few seconds on one, then redraws the page on the other, then repeats the process. Pretty useless.

The older version merely kicks out the message "Unknown OSW: [308 G 3A5] [320 G 2594]".
When most users encounter an unknown OSW message, they provide OSW logs along with other pertinent information, like the control channel data source, System Type value, stuff like that. When they do, issues tend to get resolved rather quickly.

I thought it was strange that I was only seeing two channels on this system. It looks like it is screwed up bad...
Ouch! That's bad!

FlashP

Attachments

• 03A5-B20osw.txt
    3.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 2502-B20log.txt
    35.1 KB · Views: 154
  • 03A5-B20log.txt
    39.8 KB · Views: 167

campd715

Premium Subscriber
After reading through some of the posts in this thread I have to ask, "what's up with the recent "lame" and "useless" comments? There's an old adage that says," you'll get more bees with honey than you will with vinegar" and the same principal applies here as well. Biting the hand that feeds you is not the way to go. Besides, SlicerWizard (Andy) probably needs both hands to type up future feature requests !

TRUNK88 is a fantastic program and I personally believe it's the best at what it's designed to do (Motorola 3600 baud). Included in the zipped file are the ReadMe.Txt, Notes.Txt and Changelog.Txt files. They are very informative. If ,after reading through them, you still have problems, send in a post and you'll find that Andy is very receptive and helpful.

Dennis

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Very impressed with 4.88's capability to decode systems from the headphone jack. I'm using a Yupiteru MVT-7100 receiver and seeing 100% decoding on a local TRS. Although the majority of my radios are tapped this is a very nice advancement for those that would like to try this software but haven't been able to due because of no discriminator output.

I'd love to see this technology advance but I would guess that decoding a 9600 baud datastream in this manner might not work.

Thanks, Andy.

Northerner71

I started this thread because I think Trunk88 is an amazing program, one that I would gladly even pay for and that is rare. I have been running a tapped scanner for three years now and would have loved the option to use the headphone jack then. My pro 96 was a b@#ch to tap.
@FlashP It is a free program, just because it doesn't work right away play alittle, when I first started it took awhile to get it going and then another couple of days to understand it. Now I would be lost without it. So in the future people who download things for free and it is not what they were expecting just be quiet about it. Others may like it.
Everytime I download a new version the first thing I do is read Andys notes. There are always little changes (except 4.88 which was a big change). As everyone here knows I am always looking forward to Andys updates, keep up the great work Andrew. Trunk88 RULES!!

FlashP

You didn't post the 2502 OSW log file. It's the most important file.

Unfortunately, none was created! For some reason, it creates two log files but only one OSW. The software is toggling between the two sysids so fast, there's no time to really troubleshoot. I repeated the attempt a few times today, and while both displays show the green OSW text at bottom left, you only get one osw file - but it's seemingly random which one. So the attached pair are not from the same session at all.

As for the comments, I love the program but not the upgrade... trying to balance out the raves in the original post.

Attachments

• 03A5-B21osw.txt
    7.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 2502-B21osw.txt
    860 bytes · Views: 95
Last edited:

slicerwizard

As for the comments, I love the program but not the upgrade... trying to balance out the raves in the original post.
So if I understand correctly, your only issue with the program is how it's handling system 2502 - a system that has been set up incorrectly by its owners / technicians.

The OSW logs prove that the site you're monitoring is announcing itself as SysID 2502, site 10 and SysID 03A5, site 10, but somehow it's TRUNK88's fault for not knowing that it's actually the same system/site.

You don't like the way current versions of TRUNK88 are handling the garbage that this site is broadcasting - you prefer how TRUNK88 4.86 handled it. Funny thing is, if you'd taken the time to report the error that 4.86 was generating (and the fact that site 10's ACC was never reported), this issue would've been resolved long before 4.88 was released.

Now that you have finally reported the problem, TRUNK88 will be modified to handle the inconsistent data that the system is spitting out.

SCPD

QRT
Northern / Andrew - don't shoot the messenger. He is reporting the symptoms. He knew not the cause. This isn't the first time Andy has dealt with a wonky system.

On a very separate note; I'm excited to see this much activity from Andrew. Welcome back, man. We missed you.

dste

Boeing

This is how I solved the toggle problem...

2502.ctl
----------------------------
;;[Settings]

System Type = 2

SysID #1 = 03A5h

SysID #2 = 2502h

Trunk88.ctl
--------------------------------------

03A5+2502, "2502.CTL"

---------------------------------------------------------

Still many Unk OSWs. Supposedly this is a Moto Type II system trying to become something else and running concurrently on the same control channels.

slicerwizard

Still many Unk OSWs.
Many? Have you reported them (along with some OSW logs) ?

Supposedly this is a Moto Type II system trying to become something else and running concurrently on the same control channels.
All I've seen is a misconfigured system, but additional OSW logs, perhaps from other system sites, may reveal more. So far though, it just looks like a plain old SmartZone system with one simulcast zone (6 sites) and nine non-simulcast sites. I don't see any "trying to become something else" stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.