4OROPS5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otto

So, while monitoring a SERT call out this afternoon on SERT tac1 and tac2 , I heard them call out that they where going to switch their radio comms over to what sounded like "4OROPS5". Now, this is something I have never heard SERT do before, and I switched my radio to "OROPS5" which is 851.800, but nothing was heard on my radio. I tried monitoring the input which is listed at 806.800 and heard nothing as well.

Question is, is "4OROPS5" a simplex only frequency or am I missing something here?

Any of you guys know what's up?

By the way, this was from the Portland TRS system...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Nice catch! Thinking that perhaps the "4" meant a specific bank / zone in their radios. Could also be that they've programmed some frequencies for very low power, as to not blast their traffic out for everyone to hear in the metro area.

PMJ2kx

Premium Subscriber
I was going to say "yes" about simplex, but...

Portland Police said:
OROPS 1-5 are for use by the State of Oregon agencies and use repeaters in the Metro area. Channels 2 and 5 are generally used by law enforcement. WAOPS are used in the State of Washington and are not repeated in the Portland-Vancouver region. These channels can also be used in a simplex mode when the user turns off the repeated function in the pack set or car radio.

Straight from the horse's mouth.

Otto

Makes sense that that they would go simplex operations once the situation begins to ramp up. The teams had just gassed the house, and where getting ready to go in when they switched to OROPS5.
When using simplex, they don't have to pass what could be life or death radio traffic through the TRS or a repeater.

Baker845

Those freqs are simplex, but i also know that there are repeaters of those and other 800 interop freqs in portland. somewhere in my list i have a list of the repeaters.

Otto

Those freqs are simplex, but i also know that there are repeaters of those and other 800 interop freqs in portland. somewhere in my list i have a list of the repeaters.

From the list I have, it shows two repeaters for OROPS5; one on Mount Scott for Multnomah County and one on Buxton Peak for Washington County. I assume the Mount Scott repeater also covers Clackamas County. They are both listed as 851.8000 RX, 806.8000 TX 156.7 Tone.

But as another poster pointed out, they can just toggle a TA switch in their radios, and none of the radio traffic goes to the input side of the repeater.

V_A_R_I_A_B_L_E

CIA Agent
Feed Provider
If this is that lengthy barricade situation a few days ago, I'm pretty sure I heard SERT say "switch to comm 1" at one point...

Otto

If this is that lengthy barricade situation a few days ago, I'm pretty sure I heard SERT say "switch to comm 1" at one point...

I head that as well, but I think they where talking about the radio link to one of the two robots that where deployed during the stand off.

When they announced they where going to "4OROPS5" they repeated it about six times and even confirmed with BOEC that a dispatcher would be monitoring. After the switch, it was total radio silence on SERT TAC 1 and TAC 2 on the TRS system.

Status
Not open for further replies.