4wd cruising VHF channels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a VHF (as I've seen and heard some do) for my rig.
My reading has that it's only for marine/ air?

What uses does VHF have when out 4wd'ing?

Is it worth the purpose?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a VHF (as I've seen and heard some do) for my rig.
My reading has that it's only for marine/ air?

What uses does VHF have when out 4wd'ing?

Is it worth the purpose?

What type of VHF? Neither marine nor aviation (air) radios are legal to use for off-road.

Assuming you are in the US, the only legal VHF, without getting a specific license, would be a MURS radio.

Sent using Tapatalk

SDRPlayer

Premium Subscriber
This is the Australia Forum.

spot on!
Unless you have an amateur licence, there isn't anything on VHF for free (unlicenced). There are a few HF groups you can join under a common licence such as VKS-737 and you use the latest Codan radios (very cool!). There are sporadic UHF repeaters around the country accessed via the usual 40 ch CB.

Xplorer00

Premium Subscriber
You have no options for VHF radio unless you have your Ham radio licence, then you have access to 2m VHF band (144-148 MHz).

Most 4x4's have UHF CB radio (40 or 80 channel) installed, then depending on the terrain, have a small or large antenna.

The only other way is if you have a paid licence for a VHF frequency with ACMA, and that licence covers the areas you will be 4WD'ing.

rustynswrail

You can apply for a simplex Australia wide VHF assignment, it will cost you around $800 for the first year, then $200 every year thereafter adjusted for CPI. You are limited in that you cannot use the assignment in the one location for more than 30 days continuously. As you will be using it for 4WDing I doubt that would be an issue. Also the assignment would be made on a no interference basis, in other words you cannot cause interference to another user, if you do you have to cease using the assignment immediately. Again depending on your location it is unlikely to occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.