• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

5.2 Earthquake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone said that they felt this big Quake last night. I didn't feel anything over here. They said on the news that people in central Iowa felt it but not here. Did you feel it? I live just north of Omaha.

BNSFrailfan said:
Everyone said that they felt this big Quake last night. I didn't feel anything over here. They said on the news that people in central Iowa felt it but not here. Did you feel it? I live just north of Omaha.

I live in Cali didn't feel it. Even if it was here a 5.2 ain't a thing, sleep right through those.

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
If I remember the map from the news correctly, the epicenter was east of the Mississippi. Omaha is on the other side. Was the quake felt on both sides of the river?

DaveNF2G said:
Was the quake felt on both sides of the river?
Yes,it was.I was watching STL News at both the initial quake and the 4.6 aftershock.As a matter of fact,they seem to be describing the ability to feel it more than I,and I'm closer to the epicenter by 30 miles.
I was awakened at 4:37am believing that my dog was scratching at the bedroom door(wanting to go outside).I yelled at the poor girl to knock it off when all of a sudden it dawned on me...it wasn't her.
I immediately jumped out of bed and ran straight to my trusty 2052 to hear the sounds of the bi-county 911 freq's going crazy with all kinds of phones ringing in the background.At this moment I felt assured that I didnt need to see a shrink,and I owed my dog an apology.:D
Glad there was no injuries and damage was minimal.

It was on the Wabash Valley fault system ...

http://www.iris.edu/seismon/zoom/events/?lon=-87.86&lat=38.54

DATE LAT LON MAG DEPTH REGION
18-APR-2008 15:14:16 38.54 -87.86 4.5 10.0 SOUTHERN INDIANA
18-APR-2008 09:37:00 38.45 -87.89 5.2 11.6 SOUTHERN INDIANA
18-APR-2008 09:36:56 38.57 -87.89 5.4 5.9 SOUTHERN INDIANA

My wife woke up with the first one - I slept through it. I felt the aftershock though!

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Weather/story?id=4682373&page=1

The earthquake struck southern Illinois about six miles north of Mount Carmel, at 4:37 a.m., violently shaking people from their beds, swaying Chicago skyscrapers and vibrating the earth as far east as Georgia.
violently ??? swaying skyscrapers? I think they are over doing it a bit!

Go-24 said:
It was on the Wabash Valley fault system ...

http://www.iris.edu/seismon/zoom/events/?lon=-87.86&lat=38.54

DATE LAT LON MAG DEPTH REGION
18-APR-2008 15:14:16 38.54 -87.86 4.5 10.0 SOUTHERN INDIANA
18-APR-2008 09:37:00 38.45 -87.89 5.2 11.6 SOUTHERN INDIANA
18-APR-2008 09:36:56 38.57 -87.89 5.4 5.9 SOUTHERN INDIANA

My wife woke up with the first one - I slept through it. I felt the aftershock though!

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Weather/story?id=4682373&page=1

violently ??? swaying skyscrapers? I think they are over doing it a bit!
Oh my God :shock:

Wheras we in Ca. have a whole bunch of faultlines that absorb quake energy, you guys at mid continent have these huge uninterrupted plates that can transmit energy many hundreds of miles further than here, according to the USGS. By the way a 5.2 will not only wake me the hell up it will have me hopping for my front door as I struggle to get pants on! You guys had a sizable quake out there. Makes me wonder why though--hmm:(

ridgescan said:
Makes me wonder why though--hmm:(
I posted in a thread somewhere about the 600 +/- unexplained quakes out in the ocean - the timing could just be coincidental either that or something major is going on down there.

I live west of St. Louis and I didnt feel it. I was outside at the time of the quake and did hear dogs barking and some odd noises which sounded like someone was walking on the other side of my house.

Some of the folks I work with 5-25 miles closer to St. Louis felt it, the closer to the city, the stronger the shaking was (for obvious reasons). I did notice the aftershock a few mins after 5. I was in my garage and the garage door started making some odd creaking noises, similiar to what I would hear during strong winds, but it wasnt windy.

I felt it and it lasted close to 10 seconds. I also felt one of the aftershocks about 11:15am the same day. Pretty cool to experience since little to no damage was done, and no one was hurt. Last one I felt was about 20 years ago!

Roger in Southeast Indiana

LEH

Premium Subscriber
ridgescan said:
Wheras we in Ca. have a whole bunch of faultlines that absorb quake energy, you guys at mid continent have these huge uninterrupted plates that can transmit energy many hundreds of miles further than here, according to the USGS. By the way a 5.2 will not only wake me the hell up it will have me hopping for my front door as I struggle to get pants on! You guys had a sizable quake out there. Makes me wonder why though--hmm:(
Well if you check back in US history, in early 1812 one of the strongest (if not the strongest) quakes in recorded US history took place in the area of New Madrid, MO. As you pointed out, there are numeorus fault lines in the mid continent. They may not move as often as those in CA, but when they do, it will make the SF quake of 1906 look like a day at the park.

When you have a quake strong enough to make the Mississippi River run BACKWARDS, you have a fairly strong event.

Status
Not open for further replies.