500's LED's

Status
Not open for further replies.

I purchased a GRE 500 in February and already the LED light is giving me problems. The RED is gone, the YELLOW is gone, the MAGENTA is gone, all that remains is GREEN & BLUE.

Has anyone heard of this problem before? Any solutions? I really don't want to ship it back to the USA. Tried turning it on/off, etc....

Looking for suggestions...

tks

areeceepb

Have you messed with the colors at all in the menu? Make sure everything is still set up FF00FF, 00FFFF, etc... Is there anyway someone might have went in and messed them up?

DonS

If red, yellow, and magenta are gone, it almost sounds like a problem with the red LED.

Have you verified, as mentioned above, that the color values in the GLOB menu haven't been changed? Perhaps you could try editing one of those colors, increasing the "R" value for any of them to see if the LED changes.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I've had an intermittant blue LED that causes a flicker on occasion. GRE offered to swap under warranty, but I didn't feel it was enough of an issue that I wanted to be without for the week or two.

docmitch

Leds

I have had problems with my LEDS from day one ( Christmas ). The blue changed to green, the magenta stopped, then they came back, change back and forth at random.
Last night, I saw the article about the loose screw, I pulled the cover, and sure enough, the screw was about to fall out. I tightened it up, and this morning, I turned on the scanner, and all my colors were back for about 20 minutes !!!
The problem seems to be with temperture or maybe voltage drop?? My scanner is number 001851, it works fine otherwise. I have submittd a ticket to GRE, with no reply!!
Thanks.

D

DaveNF2G

My blue LED has started flickering.

Sounds like bad soldering.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
My green LED flickers and goes out. Sent it back for repair on Tuesday. It'll be interesting to see what the problem turns out to be.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

seq788

Led

I have been having LED problems also! My blue LED is fine one minute, off another, or very weak and you can barely see it. Not sure if it's worth reparing.

(My serial number is just above 1000)

KC9NEG

I heard of one radio with a red LED that was DOA. My s/n is just above 1000 and I haven't had any problems yet. Haven't opened unit and checked for loose screw yet, either.

Todd/Indy
KC9NEG

DonS

My radio is pretty old (for a PSR-500) and has been running 24/7 since I received it. Every "object" has an LED alert. My LEDs are fine, so far.

Scanpal

PSR-500 LED's

I originally bought my 500 back when there were some people having various issues with their 500's, and the first firmware update had been released to deal with the issues. I bought my scanner from a dealer that assured me that all of their PSR-500's already have the updated version of the firmware running in them. Then, I made the mistake of requesting to have the scanner "bench tested" before it is shipped out, so that any problems could be identified "before" I received the scanner. Well, I ended up with a scanner in the 1300 ser. no. range, that was in a beat-up box, and I had the awful feeling that I had just received a scanner that someone had "sent back". Anyway, I was scanning through the LED's via the "global" menu, and when I got to LED #5 , which is blue, it was lit, but then went extinguished, right before my very eyes. I sent the scanner back for a "warranty exchange", and received a replacement ( after making it abundently clear that I did not want the scanner bench tested.) which has a serial no. in the 1800 range. Everything was in pristine order as requested, including the box, and I have not had a problem with any of the LED's so far, or with anything else. Lesson learned for me, is to never, ever, request to have a scanner "bench tested" when I make a purchase. It took about a month and a half to get it all straightened out.

LED's go bye bye

Thanks to everyone who replied.

No one has messed with the GLOB setup and it has not been exposed to any extreme temp range or voltage. Seems others have been having the same problems. Sometimes its OK for a while then the lights just change to the wrong colors. Very odd.

Like someone else mentioned, I could send it back, but is it worth the hassle, packing, postage, insurnace, time without the unit, and hoping it will come back without something else wrong. I think not. Guess I'll have to make do with Green & Blue. Sigh......

Perhaps the next version update would fix it? One can dream......

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
It's not a firmware problem, so no version update will fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.