536HP Mobile on a long trip with GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4gps

Several questions, I searched this forum for anything GPS related but did not get any hits which seemed odd. Traveling from SC to NJ Metro NYC non stop for a one day trip and coming right back via I-81 which takes me thru NC,VA,WVA,MD,PA and NJ roughly 600 Miles. I have set up a OLD GPS and it seems to be working I see the GPS icon light up and I have set my range to 20 along with Location Based Scanning in the menu what else do I need to do ? How do I know I am scanning based on my GPS location vs my loaded memory groups without driving out of range? Is there a good web site showing state laws about scanners in vehicles? I think most/all states allow scanners by licensed amateurs but not sure and I know the NE is a rather law ridden area. Last time I was up in the area it did not apply to me since I was both a LEO and EMT and we were allowed in addition to my amateur license but things I am sure have changed in roughly 30 years. Not even sure how much of this stuff would be encrypted so I am going to take a quick look at least at my destination info here in the database.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
You should see the GPS Icon, Also you see the agencies (units) that are not with in the range of the scanner disappear. ( at least they disappear on my scanners ( But of course I use a couple of 436hps for the trip to my hometown in Louisiana))

Ok hope this helps.

k4gps

I am home right now and I really only have my county programmed in. I live in a hole in a rather large county SO.... I really have an expensive scanner for what I can receive, I can only pick up my county and portions of the state highway patrol, not much else other than utilities/ham/air. So one agency on a 800 P25 system and Highway Patrol on a small slice of their system that reaches here. It still seems to show my usual groups, there is some distant VHF that will come in but I have not seen any of that. Maybe it's out of range.

k4gps

I am kind of new to this scanner, I have had it for a few months but again with little to listen to not much experience other than turning it on and listening to my county as I had programmed it back in December. GPS showing, location based scanning was selected BUT it appears as if it's still scanning my pre-programmed quick keys.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
On GPS, be sure the full database is turned on which you can do via the menu(Set Scan Selection>Select Lists to Monitor and set Full Database On) or editing the profile.

To confirm your GPS and scanner are "doing their thing", disconnect GPS from scanner. Then enter "90210" as the zip code and note which systems are loaded/turned on (hopefully California "stuff" ).

Lastly re-connect the GPS to the scanner and give the GPS a few minutes to lock on to satellites and send location data to scanner. You should see the California stuff go away and things for your current location load and turn on.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Select the "Service Types" that you want to listen to. If you don't narrow it down, you'll find that you're hearing everything in the area and the scanner will never stop talking.

In "Select Lists to Monitor" turn on "Full Data" base.

Then go "Select Nationwide Systems". I turned them all off since I really only wanted to listen to public safety as I was driving around.

The go to "Set Up GPS" and set the Range. I think UPMan recommended 0 miles a couple of years ago.

Finally, check the Wiki here. There might be more information.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Set range to 0 when using GPS

I use mine all across the US driving you will love it

Sent from my iPhone 8 using Tapatalk Pro
Jason WX4JCW
Unication G4, BCD536HP

Last edited:

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
1e5a9189b5dc27c1172055d530599d40.jpg

Jason WX4JCW
Unication G4, BCD536HP

k4gps

Set range to 0 when using GPS

I use mine all across the US driving you will love it

Jason WX4JCW
Unication G4, BCD536HP

Sounds counter intuitive! You would think RANGE would be any transmitter site in x miles set of your GPS location?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Sounds counter intuitive! You would think RANGE would be any transmitter site in x miles set of your GPS location?
You're misunderstanding the way location control works. See this:
How it Works: Location, Location, Location

Range, for whatever is loaded by location control, is based on the sum of the ranges for a system and that set in the scanner. The scanner might be set at zero miles range. But if it is less than, say, twenty miles from a system that has a range set at 20 (or more), that system would be loaded and scanned until you moved past the range for the system. For comparison, if you had a range of ten miles set in the scanner, that 'twenty mile range' system would be activated for scanning when you got to 30 miles or less of the system's base location.

k4gps

OK that I can understand! So if the range settings are somewhat accurate in the RR database the 0 setting would be more than adiquate.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
OK that I can understand! So if the range settings are somewhat accurate in the RR database the 0 setting would be more than adiquate.
Exactly. On your trip, you're probably most interested in what is happening along your route. Is there an accident or some other incident that may make you detour, or at the least, delay you? If you use a much larger range on the scanner, you might end up with so many systems active, that you could not tell what was happening where.

W5RGP

Got it... working now thanks!

just be really really really careful in va and wva if you get pulled over before they get to you turn off all your favorites and set it to weather only then turn it off, Dont ask me how i know this LOL

Im an OTR truck driver i have a 536 permanently mounted under the stereo in a 2018 freightliner cascadia
and can make those changes listed above in just a few seconds :) :)

some states dont care if you have a ham license or not they will give you crap va and wva are the only ones ive ever had problems with they act like its a radar detector or something

troymail

Silent Key
Several questions, I searched this forum for anything GPS related but did not get any hits which seemed odd. Traveling from SC to NJ Metro NYC non stop for a one day trip and coming right back via I-81 which takes me thru NC,VA,WVA,MD,PA and NJ roughly 600 Miles. I have set up a OLD GPS and it seems to be working I see the GPS icon light up and I have set my range to 20 along with Location Based Scanning in the menu what else do I need to do ?
A range of 20 is waaaay too large -- recommend 0 to 5.
How do I know I am scanning based on my GPS location vs my loaded memory groups without driving out of range?
The only way you know is if/when you see systems listed that seem like they should be getting scanned (i.e. SC frequencies while in NJ). Having said that, there are some REALLY large "circles" (ranges) fo some frequencies/systems/sites which could lead your radio to try to scan something from VA while in PA or NJ, etc. This will be even worse if you have a large range set on your scanner.

Also - you might want to take a short local road trip to see how it works for the long trip. My first few trips trying to use these features only lead to lots of frustration (the radio almost got tossed out the window at 70 MPH) and you don't need that while driving in areas you aren't familiar with.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
How do I know I am scanning based on my GPS location vs my loaded memory groups without driving out of range?

Enter a California ZIP code, like 90210, with the Main Database enabled. You'll see the scanner load California systems, and it may scan them briefly. But as soon as it gets a position from the GPS, the scanner will reload local stuff.

Note: Entering a ZIP code resets Range to 20 miles. If you do this test, you will have to manually reset the Range value to 0-5 miles.

Here's a video of what you should see. The scanner in the video is a modded 436 with internal GPS, but the principle is exactly the same.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!ApJIS-l4xqPtgtxA5SYYKzyJBosLiw

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
You won’t run out of range at 0

Jason WX4JCW
Unication G4, BCD536HP

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
While probably not precisely correct, I look at the Range button as being an extender of database ranges. Thus is the database range has something set for 20 miles and I use a Scanner Range of 5.0 miles, the scanner will attempt to "scan" the whatever at 25.0 miles instead of the 20 you'd see with the Range set to 0.

Good arguments can be made both ways on whether to use a large, medium or small Range value. It's a preference thing. My preference is larger so I'll hear about something earlier so I can avoid it. But everything is subject to change based on actual conditions.

troymail

Silent Key
While probably not precisely correct, I look at the Range button as being an extender of database ranges. Thus is the database range has something set for 20 miles and I use a Scanner Range of 5.0 miles, the scanner will attempt to "scan" the whatever at 25.0 miles instead of the 20 you'd see with the Range set to 0.

Good arguments can be made both ways on whether to use a large, medium or small Range value. It's a preference thing. My preference is larger so I'll hear about something earlier so I can avoid it. But everything is subject to change based on actual conditions.

...except that the radio will potentially waste time looking at frequencies/sites that are too far away to receive... This is also bad for distant analog channels - you'll get lots of "static" vs. stuff close enough to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.