536hp wifi issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
I'm having an unusual problem with the wifi on my 536hp. I'm only using acces point mode. Wifi works fine in the house. The scanner is normally installed in my truck and I was hoping to use a 7" Samsung tablet for a remote display. I cannot get the wifi to assign an IP address when the scanner is in the truck. The dongle lights up and shows a MAC address, but the ip address is all 0's.
I normally run the scanner off a Dc-dc converter into the 3pin power port but, have also tried the other power port and powering without using the converter, same problem with the wifi in all cases.

The truck has been off through all of my testing.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
If your scanner is not seeing the home wifi then you need to put in an access point or range extender on your home network. Does the scanner see the network if you bring it in the house? This network adapter is not a high power wifi network adapter. Have you went through the network setup in the scanner wifi setting?

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
I'm not trying to see the home wifi, I just want to use it in access point mode to connect directly to a tablet. Access point works fine when I'm in the house, connected directly to my tablet. When I install the scanner back in the truck, I lose the access point connection.
In the truck, the scanner wifi information shows:

AP:
IP: 0.0.0.0
MAC: same in truck or house.
Version: 7.28

In the house:

AP:BCD536HP_001184
IP: 192.168.1.1
The rest is the same as above.

Jeff

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried a "Reset to Factory" then gone through the Access Point Set-up?

One thing I've seen is that occasionally the dongle doesn't want to "activate" (for lack of better words). There is no rhyme or reason to it - it just happens. If I leave the scanner running a period of time, the dongle kicks in. Some times it takes 10 minutes and other times longer.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried a "Reset to Factory" then gone through the Access Point Set-up?

One thing I've seen is that occasionally the dongle doesn't want to "activate" (for lack of better words). There is no rhyme or reason to it - it just happens. If I leave the scanner running a period of time, the dongle kicks in. Some times it takes 10 minutes and other times longer.

Yes, in fact, I've tried it a few times. I'm almost certain there's something active, even with the truck off, interfering with the wifi dongle. I've used wifi devices inside the truck before, but I think this interference might be getting into the processor inside the dongle, since the scanner sees the dongle but doesn't return an IP address.
Thought of one more thing I can try, I'm going try starting scanner & wifi outside the truck, running in extension cord. I suspect, once I get inside the truck, the wifi will drop out. It also just hit me, since I have keyless enter & go, that system is always active. Maybe I'll try & see what freq band that's operating on.

Maybe Upman can chime in on some ideas or maybe he could set something up with the app developers to allow a direct USB connection instead of just wifi with the Siren app.

Jeff.

JamesO

I think you have the Infrastructure and Access Mode idea in your head backwards??

In the house, if you want to connect the house Wifi network, you need to choose Infrastructure.

In the truck to connect directly the tablet you need to use the Access Point mode.

Or are you saying you are trying to configure the scanner the same in the house and in the truck?

Might be the dongle has a broken wire in it and when you put the scanner in the truck the scanner cannot see the dongle?

Try setting the scanner up in the truck on the seat and not installed and see what happens.

Maybe something is not writing correctly to the SD card?

Last edited:

budevans

I'm not trying to see the home wifi, I just want to use it in access point mode to connect directly to a tablet. Access point works fine when I'm in the house, connected directly to my tablet. When I install the scanner back in the truck, I lose the access point connection.
In the truck, the scanner wifi information shows:

AP:
IP: 0.0.0.0
MAC: same in truck or house.
Version: 7.28

In the house:

AP:BCD536HP_001184
IP: 192.168.1.1
The rest is the same as above.

Jeff

I don't own a 536 and haven't set one up. But, based on what you've posted, you need to manually assign a Static IP address to your 536.

In your house, your home Wifi Router is supplying the IP. It does that for any Wifi device looking for Internet access (Printers, PC's, etc..).

FYI: there are two non-routable IP address ranges typically used by Wifi. 192.168.X.X or 10.10.X.X

Regarding the MAC address. That's hardwired onto the chipset. The MAC (Media Access Control) is a combination of the Manufacturers ID and a Serial Number. Every network device has one, it's unique to that device.

Check the 536's user manual, hopefully there are directions on how to setup (assign) a static address.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
I am NOT trying to go through any router & have never used infrastructure mode. I only want to connect directly to my device...Access point mode only in both places.

I had the scanner in the house, setup AP mode for testing with my Samsung tablet. Move everything to the truck, I lose the ability to start AP mode.

JamesO, I've tried it with the scanner installed and with it sitting on the seat with nothing but power & dongle connected, doesn't work either way. It works every time in the house, I've tried moving dongle around, in both places, always good in the house. Still no good in truck.

It's almost up to 10* outside, so I'm about ready to try a few more things.

Thanks,

Jeff

Ubbe

There are wifi analyzer programs available both for smartphones, tablets and PCs.
Then you can easily check if you have problems and see if the BCD536HP are actually sending out anything in the truck.

As soon as you deal with WiFi you really need an analyzer program to avoid collisions and also determine the coverage in an infrastructure net.

/Ubbe

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Your best way is you are going to have to connect to your home network with a close remote access point and connect to it that way you will have more range less interference and the next door kid can not hook to it as your network is password protected vers the you want with leaves the scanner open to anybody.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
OK, I think I have found the issue with my wifi. Just to make sure everyone understands...I have NEVER connected my scanner using infrastructure mode. It has never been connected to any router. I am ONLY trying to use access point mode to connect directly to my tablet.

When I try to start access mode away from the house, I get the "failed" bonk, no "AP:" field data and the IP address doesn't get assigned (stays all 0's). When I get within range of my home wifi, I can start access point mode. Just to reiterate, I'm not entering any password in the scanner for my home wifi any time and am only selecting access point.

So, has anyone successfully connected via access point mode when away from any other wifi network? I'm still checking, but it looks like as long as it's in range of a wifi network when starting up, it holds the connection until powered off. The best way I've found is if I turn off my home router, then go back into the scanner wifi setup and select access point again, it will fail.

Thanks,
Jeff.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
Somewhat of a fix

Latest results, it appears the(my) wifi dongle just needs to see some sort of network, doesn't need internet, just a network. I have an old Verizon Mifi hotspot with no sim installed, took it out to the truck & turned it on. The scanner started AP mode with no problem. It would be great to get some input from Upman, to see if this is just a problem with my wifi dongle or something more widespread.

So, at least I've found a work around for my situation, for the time being. I now have a variety of "remote head" options for my truck.

Jeff.

jsmn4vu

SOMETHING has to assign an IP address to your unit. When you're getting 0.0.0.0, it means your unit is not seeing a DHCP server (that would assign an address). I'll bet you'll find that the IP address, those times that it worked, was being assigned by a router.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
SOMETHING has to assign an IP address to your unit. When you're getting 0.0.0.0, it means your unit is not seeing a DHCP server (that would assign an address). I'll bet you'll find that the IP address, those times that it worked, was being assigned by a router.

Yes, I just believed the scanner would assign one. I don't remember reading anything about needing to be in range of a network to use access point mode.

Jeff.

JamesO

Latest results, it appears the(my) wifi dongle just needs to see some sort of network, doesn't need internet, just a network. I have an old Verizon Mifi hotspot with no sim installed, took it out to the truck & turned it on. The scanner started AP mode with no problem. It would be great to get some input from Upman, to see if this is just a problem with my wifi dongle or something more widespread.

So, at least I've found a work around for my situation, for the time being. I now have a variety of "remote head" options for my truck.

Jeff.

So what happens when you turn the Mifi hotspot off??

Is the tablet connected to the Mifi hotspot or the scanner??

Something is very strange here.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm using a similar setup in my vehicle. Scanner is in Access Point, an old iPhone is the remote device being used as a "Remote Head".

In Access Point the dongle should assign and IP address. Mine shows 192.168.1.1. Why yours shows up as all 0s is beyond me. Have you tried entering a value through the keypad, just for the heck it (you might not be even able).

You do not need to be in range of any network to use Acess Point mode. In fact if your remote device (Samsung, iPhone) sees a network other than the dongle, you won't be able to achieve a connection to the dongle.

As you are thinking, it appears that your truck is the wildcard in this thing. Another thing I'd be tempted to try is getting a long extension cord. Then with the vehicle a distance away, see if you can make the AP connection. Leave the scanner running, then bring the vehicle back and move the scanner into the truck and see if the connection holds.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I'm having an unusual problem with the wifi on my 536hp. I'm only using acces point mode. Wifi works fine in the house. The scanner is normally installed in my truck and I was hoping to use a 7" Samsung tablet for a remote display. I cannot get the wifi to assign an IP address when the scanner is in the truck. The dongle lights up and shows a MAC address, but the ip address is all 0's.
I normally run the scanner off a Dc-dc converter into the 3pin power port but, have also tried the other power port and powering without using the converter, same problem with the wifi in all cases.

The truck has been off through all of my testing.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff.

Set the scanner up in AP mode the scanner will give you the IP then just connect the tablet to the scanner. There is no router involved and it works well as I do it all the time in my truck. Just be sure the tablets WIFI is set to the Scanners WIFI signal and not to your home network.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
So what happens when you turn the Mifi hotspot off??

Is the tablet connected to the Mifi hotspot or the scanner??

Something is very strange here.

Nothing is connected to the hotspot. If the hotspot is off though, and I'm out of range of the house wifi, the scanner will not show an IP address and I can't connect the tablet to the scanner.

Jeff.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
Set the scanner up in AP mode the scanner will give you the IP then just connect the tablet to the scanner. There is no router involved and it works well as I do it all the time in my truck. Just be sure the tablets WIFI is set to the Scanners WIFI signal and not to your home network.

Mine doesn't give me an IP address when I start up AP mode unless I'm in range of some sort of network. Not connected to the network, just in range. When you initially start the access point connection are you in range of any wifi network? From what I can tell, I only need to be within range of some type of wifi when I initially select access point on the scanner. After the initial startup and as long as the scanner stays on, I don't think I need to be near a wifi network. I plan on testing the theory some more tomorrow.

Jeff.

Status
Not open for further replies.