TRX-1: 5V Li-Ion Power-bank testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanZor

Short story - I'm successfully running my TRX-1 solely off a typical li-ion 5v power-bank with no noise detected.

Wow. So I used the mini-usb to usb cable supplied with the TRX-1, and ran that my 10000mah Anker usb power bank and didn't expect it to work well, but it does. I also grabbed an inline usb volt / ammeter to test with to check it out.

Noise? None that I can detect, although I still have to run through the full spectrum. So far, I'm not detecting any noise from the Anker's voltage downconverter. And just as importantly, I'm not hearing any microprocessor noise from the TRX-1 being generated down a common-mode and being radiated outside the cable! Common-mode filtering is a big problem with any modern uP rig / scanner, and frankly, I was expecting the worst. Or at least something stupid like burying the dc cable in ferrites.

So this combination of an Anker powerbanks works for *me* - but there's no way I can say if other powerbanks will not be noisy. One would have to do empirical testing like I'm doing.

Charging has been turned OFF in the Global programming menus by setting the charge time to 0 (ZERO) hours. I had to kick-start the powerbank with it's own power button to have it recognize the trx-1. But once on, it stays on.

Rat-tail? Yeah, I suspect so having the cable laying around the desk, but I'm not going to make a huge deal out of it.

Some measurements at 5.1v out of the powerbank:

Idle (0.05A) Light on made it 0.06A
Conventional analog monitoring: 0.17A
P25 conventional digital: 0.2A
Charging (when no carriers active) 0.25A (I disabled charging, but tested anyway.)

Thoughts: McGuyvering a li-ion powerbank might best be done by duct-taping, erm using velcro on the back with a much smaller size, like a 3000 to 5000ah powerbank. The mini-usb will get a lot of wear and tear, so I'd just leave the cable connected to the trx-1, and charge the powerbank normally by pulling the usb plug from that. Perhaps make a very small mini-usb to usb cable instead of using the Whistler supplied one. You get the idea.

Again - I was expecting the worst from either powerbank voltage downconverter noise (not even hear on my AM airband objects), or the dreaded modern problem of poor common-mode noise filtering making it's way to the cable and back to the scanner antenna (listening to itself more or less). I can't find a problem yet, but I'm sure it's there in the spectrum *somewhere*.

Heh, it's a scanner-sexy way to go li-ion without a proprietary solution. :)

ka6wke

That's pretty slick! I wouldn't think a buck converter RFI would make it up into the VHF/UHF frequencies. Typically switch mode noise starts dropping off around 10 MHz and is pretty much gone by 30 MHz. If it's noticeable, try #78 ferrite toroid and wind 6 or 7 turns of the USB cable through it.

nanZor

Heh, I thought for sure that a direct connection would expose a noise issue, and was ready to try ferrites, but was astounded at not needing any.

Works great with no batteries installed, and if you do have them installed, change the charge time to Zero if you like, and make sure the Power-Plug icon is active.

Hmmm ... I'm not using the supplied rubber protective cover - too bulky. Instead, I'm thinking along the lines of cutting holes in a neoprene beer-cozy for speaker holes, and to hold the scanner and powerbank together. :)

Still kind of precarious though - I've already accidentally yanked the 5v mini-usb cord out a few times reaching for the scanner... Just having fun.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
I've run my TRX-1 from a old Ozark Trail power pack when I drive my 85 K5 Jimmy since it has no cigarette lighter plug for USB power. Works great but had limited capacity.

I now have a Bluetooth transmitter that runs thru a small can speaker since the TRX-1 audio output is too low to listen to in the Jimmy with the windows down & loud pipes.

I'm going to get an Anker power bank with 3 USB outputs to power the radio, Bluetooth x-mitter & can speaker. I had been thinking of doing this for a while, but seeing your post, I searched for Anker and saw that they have 3 USB output units - up to now I'd only found 2 USB models.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I have used several different power banks on tablets, phones, scanners, a Pi 3, and my DVMega and never experienced any problems.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Anker makes good quality stuff. Been using them for years.
I dont think they use a step down voltage system. I dont think they are using 12 volt battery packs. I believe they are using several high capacity 5 volt batteries each with its own charge and discharge circuit. But i could be wrong.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Anker makes good quality stuff. Been using them for years.
I dont think they use a step down voltage system. I dont think they are using 12 volt battery packs. I believe they are using several high capacity 5 volt batteries each with its own charge and discharge circuit. But i could be wrong.
Probably using several 3.7v lithium ion batteries of the 18650 battery size.

Ravpower makes good stuff also.

slicerwizard

I believe they are using several high capacity 5 volt batteries each with its own charge and discharge circuit. But i could be wrong.
What battery chemistry do you think produces 5 volt batteries?

Virtually all of these power banks use 3.7V lithium ion cells, either flat packs or 18650 cells.

Power Bank.jpg

a417

Virtually all of these power banks use 3.7V lithium ion cells, either flat packs or 18650 cells.
And they're produced to a price point, so you see ghastly power control boards & implementations on the cheaper ones, not to mention the cheapest 18650s you can find. Most of them that i've seen are "in the ballpark" of their rated capacity, as seem to use 18650s that don't meet full spec and are sold at a discount.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Just ordered an Anker Powercore Elite 20000, 20000mAh Power Bank with 3-Port 6A Output for $42 from Amazon.

nanZor

Strain relief for the usb cable?

So the Whistler supplied cable when attached has the lead going upwards. That's kinda' convenient actually in that I just used a common 1/2 wide black velcro strap to wrap around the cable near the top side of the scanner.

The velcro strap covers the Whistler logo, but doesn't interfere with the screen, and I can still see the alert LED.

While not the absolute best strain relief, at least it keeps me from wiggling the 5v mini-usb jack cabling around when I pick the scanner up to fool with it. I just wrapped as tight as I could around the top of the scanner.

Better than nothing I suppose ...

Status
Not open for further replies.