• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

6.1 meter rule ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

In searching the F.C.C. Data base for frequencies and agencies, I've come across
stations listed as "Fx1". I know this is a "control station" that is usually associated
with "mobile" units. But, in "Google-ing" for the 6.1 meter "rule" definition, I'm
even MORE 'cornfused', LOL! I'm looking up stations in the 150-174 mhz range.

"6.1 meters" is 20 feet. Does this mean the antenna support can be only be 20'
above the mounting structure? Does it mean the "control station" can only be 20'
from the associated repeater (FB2)? It wouldn't be of much use if it could only
transmit 20 feet, LOL!

I used to be in the communications business back in the late 60's/early 70's, but
I have dementia (Alzheimer's-like symptoms) and I just can't bring that information
"forward" in my brain. It's darn frustrating at times. I KNOW, I "know", I just can't
"remember". I'm NOT complaining, I do the very BEST I can each day and try to
help everyone I can with radio or communication questions. When you "teach"
someone, you "share" what you know, but at the same time, you re-learn it your
self. ;-)

"Thanks" for any help, ahead of time.

Blessings,
Respectfully submitted,
73 (Best Regard)

Don/KA5-LQJ

Grid Square: EM-32

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
The rule states that a control station's (FB1) antenna may be no higher than 6.1 meters above the ground. A higher antenna requires licensing as a fixed station (FB2).

6.1 meter rule

DaveNF2G said:
The rule states that a control station's (FB1) antenna may be no higher than 6.1 meters above the ground. A higher antenna requires licensing as a fixed station (FB2).
The "6.1 meter rule" also applies to antennas on the tops of buildings .. specifically

if the antenna is no higher than 6.1 meters above the highest point of the building, there are no FAA notification requirements needed for the "antenna support structure" in such cases, even if the building height is greater than 150 feet..

The "6.1 meter rule" exempts the requirement to register the building via an antenna tower registration listing ..

nd5y

Dave has it partially right, Elaine has it wrong.

Here is the 6.1 meter control station rule:

Sec. 90.119 Application requirements.

(b) If the control station(s) will operate on the same frequency as
the mobile station, and if the height of the control station(s)
antenna(s) will not exceed 6.1 meters (20 feet) above ground or an
existing man-made structure (other than an antenna structure), there is
no limit on the number of such stations which may be authorized.
Appropriate items on FCC Form 601 shall be completed showing the
frequency, the station class, the total number of control stations, the
emission, and the output power of the highest powered control station.
Applicants in the 470-512 MHz band must furnish the relevant information
for all control stations.

It has nothing to do with the 6.1 meter antenna stucture registration requirement.

Last edited:
Quoting Tom :

nd5y said:
Dave has it partially right, Elaine has it wrong.

Here is the 6.1 meter control station rule:

Sec. 90.119 Application requirements.

(b) If the control station(s) will operate on the same frequency as
the mobile station, and if the height of the control station(s)
antenna(s) will not exceed 6.1 meters (20 feet) above ground or an
existing man-made structure (other than an antenna structure), there is
no limit on the number of such stations which may be authorized.
Appropriate items on FCC Form 601 shall be completed showing the
frequency, the station class, the total number of control stations, the
emission, and the output power of the highest powered control station.
Applicants in the 470-512 MHz band must furnish the relevant information
for all control stations.

It has nothing to do with the 6.1 meter antenna structure registration requirement.
" antenna(s) will not exceed 6.1 meters (20 feet) above ground or an
existing man-made structure (other than an antenna structure), "

Actually, what I'm sharing here is the fact that the "6.1 meter rule" applies to many
areas of the FCC rules and not simply control station antennas ..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the FCC's website:

The following types of antenna structures are exempt from the FAA notification requirements and FCC registration requirements:

1. Any antenna structure that would be shielded by existing structures of a permanent and substantial character or by natural terrain or topographic features of equal or greater height, and would be located in the congested area of a city, town or settlement where it is evident beyond all reasonable doubt that the structure so shielded will not adversely affect safety in air navigation.
2. Any antenna structure of 6.10 meters (20 feet) or less in height except one that would increase the height of another antenna structure. Examples of the "20 foot rule."
3. Any air navigation facility, airport visual approach or landing aid, aircraft arresting device, or meteorological device, of a type approved by the FAA, the location and height of which is fixed by its function.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional details on this can be found at:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/antenna/index.htm?job=about_getting_started#d36e13

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.