6640 LDOC - Hawaiian 2, SFO and MedLink

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Here's a somewhat rare catch of a complete recording from HAL2 to MedLink via SFO phone patch. For sake of privacy, I've removed the child's name that was given over the radio.

9-22-2011 @ approximately 0430z on 6640khz LDOC.

Small child passed out for approximately one minute. HAL2 consulting with MedLink physician. HAL2 is coming from Honolulu to LAX.

http://home.comcast.net/~cnick6/6640.mp3

pathalogical

Great catch ! I've also heard med calls on 6640, though not as involved as this one. Was it coincidence that there was a doctor on board ? Or is it becoming common to have one on board ? Wanting to start an IV seems to be a very specific treatment.

AlaskaMike

Wanting to start an IV seems to be a very specific treatment.

Not really--starting an IV is one things that would be done in almost any situation where they weren't sure what's going on. The reason is that they don't really have any downsides or risks, generally speaking.

I'm no doctor, but I was an EMT for several years.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Chances of having a doctor on board any given flight are pretty good. I've been on 3 flights that had medical emergencies on board and each time flight attendants requested if there were a doctor at least 2 doctors stood up and helped out.

Status
Not open for further replies.