796 programming help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgrcuda

Hello everyone. I just moved here from Ky. and am new to digital trunking and could use some help setting up for the new Detroit and MSP frequencies. In Ky they used the P25 digital but it was conventional (easy to program). I have done a lot of reading on here but I am still having trouble. So I have a few Q's.

1) I have heard that you should only have one CC per bank, but the database lists several CC's for the same tower. I dont understand...

2) When I do put in the CC, how do you store a newly found ID? I'm using ID search but the ID's always pop up as new.

3) Is there a good place that gives easy to understand directions for 796 programming?

Hope someone can help. I'm sorry to ask stupid questions but I really did do some searching before posting, but unsuccessfully (Unidens instruction book is the pits). Thanks everyone and have a good day

bigbluemsp

I have a Pro-96 so I cant help with programming that scanner.

But the only freqs you need to enter are the red and blue ones for the towers you want to hear.

seamusg

jgrcuda said:
Hello everyone. I just moved here from Ky. and am new to digital trunking and could use some help setting up for the new Detroit and MSP frequencies. In Ky they used the P25 digital but it was conventional (easy to program). I have done a lot of reading on here but I am still having trouble. So I have a few Q's.

1) I have heard that you should only have one CC per bank, but the database lists several CC's for the same tower. I dont understand...

2) When I do put in the CC, how do you store a newly found ID? I'm using ID search but the ID's always pop up as new.

3) Is there a good place that gives easy to understand directions for 796 programming?

Hope someone can help. I'm sorry to ask stupid questions but I really did do some searching before posting, but unsuccessfully (Unidens instruction book is the pits).
Thanks everyone and have a good day
The scanner can be easily programed with the software that came with it. There is only one CC per tower/site the others are alt CC's only used when they change CC. With the 796 you can only program 1 tower/site per bank. There are 2 ways to program a 796;
1. You can put all the freqs for a site in a bank and set the CC only to off with trunking set for the bank and channels.
2. Put in the CC and alts and set the plan.
Newly found TGID's have to be programed into the scanner. Unless you're in the city of Detroit you may have trouble receiving site 701 (Detroit Simulcast). The database shows 1 CC (red) for Detroit and 3 alt CC (blue).
ps. Welcome to Michigan, where are you at?

k8tmk

The Coloma tower occasionally between their main and alt control channels. You can put them both in the same bank, because one one will be in use at any given time. And, you won't have to worry about changing it.

It seems to me that if you travel around Michigan, you could put main and alt control channels for several towers in the same bank, but you will have to make sure ther towers are far apart enough that you will be able to pick one tower up at a time. This will take some careful planning though with a map that shows tower locations. If you do study a map, you will find that the same control channels are used over and over, but there is always a county or two between these towers.

Randy

jgrcuda

796 programming

Thanks for the quick replys everyone. Using uniden software, I wiped everything clean and reprogrammed the freq's and will do some ID searching. There was a lot of junk freq's, so I decided to start over. It just seems that I don't get enough ID hits on the digital for some reason (I have about 5 for MSP). I have tried taking scanner outside for better reception, but no luck. By the way SEASUMG, we are neighbors. I am at the 12/Utica area (Roseville). Thanks again for the replys everyone...

MacombMonitor

jgrcuda said:
Hello everyone. I just moved here from Ky. and am new to digital trunking and could use some help setting up for the new Detroit and MSP frequencies.

Welcome to Michigan! :)

In addition to MPSCS (Detroit & MSP), you might also want to add the City Of Warren's APCO-25 system, right in your area! Here is the info you'll need:

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=4219

For starters, don't worry about programing all the talk-groups. Run your Trunked Scan in "Search" mode, and you'll hear them all!

Hope you already have a job lined up, as unemployment is running high in Michigan right now.

seamusg

jgrcuda said:
Thanks for the quick replys everyone. Using uniden software, I wiped everything clean and reprogrammed the freq's and will do some ID searching. There was a lot of junk freq's, so I decided to start over. It just seems that I don't get enough ID hits on the digital for some reason (I have about 5 for MSP). I have tried taking scanner outside for better reception, but no luck. By the way SEASUMG, we are neighbors. I am at the 12/Utica area (Roseville). Thanks again for the replys everyone...
If you're at 12 & Utica you're not going to get Detroit very well - Try Mt. Clemens (210), Romeo (202) Richmond (204) and Northville (206) and Warren P25 trunked system for 5 banks, Also Roseville conventional, which is also Eastpointe. Also Macomb seriff is busy (Conventional). MPSCS should be very busy in this area most of the time.

jgrcuda

796 programming

Thanks again for all the replies. Just wanted to say that I cleared my scanner and started over. On top of that I purchased the RS 800mhz antennae. All I can say is WOW. This is the best $20 I could have spent(including 90* BNC). No more garbled transmissions on the digital stuff. I've read all the great reviews and don't why I waited so long to get it. Just wanted to reply to close thread because I hate when I don't know how things turned out for others. Take care all

Status
Not open for further replies.