800 mhz antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueline_308

I have one just like it. It's mounted 25' AGL using a rotor, fed with LMR-400. I easily hear TRS's 40 miles away. Your coax will make it or break it at 800MHz and above.

RISC777

Man, that looks like one I've got. Who's the manufacturer? If it's Cellular Specialties, I'll win a bet I have with myself. ... lol

As blueline_308 said, when you're in the 800s the feedline is more imporant than VHF and UHF, especially when the run(s) are longer. If you opt to get it, seriously think on getting something along the lines of LMR-400 or Belden's 9913 3/8" line to cut down on attenuation/loss. And you can get either pre-terminated at your specified length (N male to BNC male).

If you've got 800 systems in different areas and you have or will put up an exterior mast, a rotor would be a nice thing to have, and they're not that expensive either. Just make sure to get one with a brake.

`Doug

pinellasfirefighter

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
wilson cellular... where could i find the mast with a brake is there a web site? if you have something simliar what the performence on it? how far can you pick up and hows signal? i`m in florida and its flat here. i`m only trying to pick up one county over besides my system and its maybe 10 to 15 miles away. by the way i will be using lmr 400..

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Hey pinellasfirefighter...you know the beam is DIRECTIONAL and is going to hear the direction you point it...otherwise TRS systems behind the beam and to the sides will exhibit greatly reduced signal strength.

I like building antennas so the little groundplane might just be the thing...I can't see a directional antenna when the systems I want to monitor are all directions from me.

RISC777

pinellasfirefighter said:
wilson cellular... where could i find the mast with a brake is there a web site? if you have something simliar what the performence on it? how far can you pick up and hows signal? i`m in florida and its flat here. i`m only trying to pick up one county over besides my system and its maybe 10 to 15 miles away. by the way i will be using lmr 400..

Two things...

1.> 10 to 15 miles away? Spend around $30 or $35 total including shipping and get a Scantenna ST-2 that ships with 50' of feedline. You will need to adapt to the scanner via an 'F type female to BNC male' adapter. That same exact antenna I am picking up digital from 70+ miles away. Heck, any decent omnidirectional "should" do the job provided you've got it on a "tall enough" mast. (My ST-2 will pick up better than my Diamond D-130J on LMR-600, but that's me and where I am and what I monitor...your mileage may vary.)

2.> A rotor is a separate item that is not going to ship or come with any mast. (I'll try to find a link or two to post for you.) The 'brake' is part of the rotor, some are sold with and some without. The benefit of the brake is the rotor doesn't wear out as quick because the brake does the slowing/stopping instead of the rotor's motor doing that function.

`Doug

pinellasfirefighter

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
so that scantenna does the trick.. is the scantenna like a yagi and i`ll have to point at the tower.

Last edited:

intrepid97

You could get an omni-directional 800Mhz base antenna,Which i'm sure would have to do a fairly good job.

Barney6

Premium Subscriber
I have an Antennex FG8246 omnidirectional antenna on my balcony hooked up to a BC780 with 25' of LMR-400. On good nights and early mornings I can pick up Hillsborough, Pasco and Pinellas Cos. I am located in southern Citrus County. Hope this helps, Chuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.