800 MHz Glass Mount Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
I have notice the 800 MHz glass mount antenna mounted on the back window of some of the local PD vehicles are pointed down and may be touching the back glass. My question is, which the antenna pointed down and maybe touching the glass is this not good for the radio? I have heard that they moved the antenna down to wash the vehicles, but forget to raise the antenna back to the upright position.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Won't hurt it.

Surprised a PD is using glass mount antennas. They work for 800MHz just fine, but there are better solutions. Glass mounts were always the "easy" solution, which translates into -cheap-.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
When I was riding the trolleys on/off (Some of the trolleys) I did notice the 800 mhz Antenna was pointing down. Seems they RX fine and TX fine.

rob_d

Premium Subscriber
Probably to be less conspicuous.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Won't hurt it.

Surprised a PD is using glass mount antennas. They work for 800MHz just fine, but there are better solutions. Glass mounts were always the "easy" solution, which translates into -cheap-.

I've read that some metallic based window tints can degrade performance.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Yesterday I saw a Sheriff Car had a antenna pointing down. I guess he had in the car wash or he just left it like that.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've read that some metallic based window tints can degrade performance.

It can, but that metallic based window tint usually prevents the on glass antenna from working in the first place. If the vehicle has a functioning on-glass antenna, then it's likely not an issue. Defroster wires can cause issues, but maybe the vehicle doesn't have a defroster.

All the more reasons to do it the right way. Drill the hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.