812.5 MHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Last night I inadvertantly enabled the 800 MHz search on my PRO-84 thanks to a fumbled keypress, and it soon stopped right on 812.5 MHz. I heard what was definitely a personal conversation, although just one side.

My first thought was that I was hearing an image, until I tuned my BR330 and heard the same thing (unlikely that 2 different scanners would produce the same image).

I didn't think there were any 800 MHz cordless phones...any idea what this could have been from?

LEH

Premium Subscriber
That end of the 800 is input to repeaters. So what is the frequency of 867.5 come back to in your area? Adding the 45 Mhz spacing between input and output on the 800 band.

If you heard them, they were pretty close.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
There were cordless phones there. They were/are marketed as "900 Mhz" cordless phones.

They were all the rage before the 1.2Ghz and 5.8Ghz units came out.

eorange

LEH said:
That end of the 800 is input to repeaters. So what is the frequency of 867.5 come back to in your area? Adding the 45 Mhz spacing between input and output on the 800 band.

If you heard them, they were pretty close.
A very quick search of 857.5 turned up nothing.

But I think you're right about it being an input frequency - I could only hear it while standing outside. As soon as I went inside, the signal faded and was gone. Went back out, it was there again. This is NOT typical of output signals!

----------------

Edit: According to the FCC database, this freq is owned by Nextel:

YC - SMR, 806-821/851-866 MHz, Auctioned

Are these business band radios? What is SMR?

Last edited:

robbinsj2

SMR = specialized mobile radio. This would be Nextel's regular network and any Nextel traffic on it would not have been analog.

It is not at all unusual for two different scanners to get the same images. If they have the same IF and are both triple-conversion (are any not triple-conversion any more?) then they're tuning the frequency the same way. The Pro-84 is manufactured by Uniden so you're that much more likely to find certain similarities with Uniden-branded radios.

Jim

eorange

You make a good point there.

Well, I scanned that band again with my PRO-84, and I am sure it was a cell image.

Around 811.0 MHz I heard the familiar "cell buzz", and at one point I heard it further down the band mixed with a paging signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.