8TAC94 roll call in Upstate

Status
Not open for further replies.

p1879

I hear a lot of "roll calls" or "unit checks" of some type on this conventional channel. The state listings show almost all use of this frequency (in SC) on repeaters quite distant from the upstate, however I well may be mistaken --so seeking the wisdom of the forum. My impression is that it is FD, and a pretty big number of units, but it is not so clear.
thanks,
p1879

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
That's a national Interoperability channel. If you're in the upstate, you may be hearing a repeater from North Carolina? Or Georgia? However, I've never seen mention in the NC forum that those channels are used regularly.

Do you have the ability to confirm that the CTCSS tone being used is 156.7? I assume it's an analog transmission?

p1879

Yes, ARC 500 is programmed with this tone (156.7) for my radios on those SC channels where it is listed as such. It is surprising for me. It is possible I made a goof, but the frequency/tone match 8tac94. Will make an effort to get some better info.

OK, checked my sheet and i have that freq in with "auto" mode 156.7 tone and same freq. with mode "none" selected and no tone. I am pretty sure the display read 156.7 this morning, when I looked over. Need cataract surgery, so always doubtful.
I just thought it odd to hear daily traffic here.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
License WPVX325 shows a repeater on this frequency in Oconee County, not too far from Six Mile.
License WQQZ885 shows a repeater on this frequency in Anderson County, not too far from Starr.

p1879

One of the sites shown on the map (near 6 Mile) may well be at Oconee nuc station, west of the Keowee river bed/county line. Really looks that way from the map. I am located in an adjacent county, so perhaps the comms are from there. The map indicates it is an 8tac94 repeater.That sure is helpful, and interesting. Thanks guys, I will try and keep you informed, but sounds like roll-call type comms. Your lead to documentation led me to this interesting statement in the discussion :

"All shared public safety conventional 800 MHz radio repeaters shall use a CCTSS tone of 156.7 Hz for decode and encode. A second tone may be utilized for local communications. The second tone should be coordinated with the state frequency coordinator. "

A second tone and some interesting traffic, maybe? The implication is that we might be missing something if we solely monitor the 156.7 tone.
p1879

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
A second tone and some interesting traffic, maybe? The implication is that we might be missing something if we solely monitor the 156.7 tone.
p1879

That is a good point. However, I'm not aware that the repeater will be configured to support the 2nd "local" tone. Maybe so, but I would guess that statement refers to simplex (non-repeater) traffic on that frequency? Just a guess on my part. If that's true, you'd have to be close by a transmitting unit to hear it.

p1879

I feel certain this logging is the Duke Power Oconee Nuclear Station. Today (EST) at about 12.04 PM they had a round of radio checks lasting for around 4 minutes. Net lead was "control", tone 156.7, same frequency. They called around12 Sierra units,18 Bravo units, a couple of Charlie units. Signal a bit rough--some of these could have been multiple calls to units that did not initially answer.

They have a really impressive comms /rad monitoring/ meteorology structure made out of large "I" beams, like the exoskeleton of a massive rectangular castle tower. This structure does not taper down, and may well be 24X24 ' square - or perhaps larger. Just my inexpert guess for all that, but the monstrosity is very close to the highway as you drive past the "Station", and it does have antennas and other gear up top.

They had a round of radio checks right after midnight last night too. This seems a bit off for "company" use on a national interop channel, but Duke has Power. I think I may retire this frequency, as this is my "quiet " radio, and radio checks do not interest me.

I used to hear the Oconee site check in many years ago on a vhf low band interop frequency--and when the Channel Master 5094 was up, I heard the Savannah River Site check in a couple of times. Might have been the state Emergency Management Division net. That seems a stretch to me, but I did hear it, the Radio Shack Pro 2006 ruled!

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Yes, I think they did retire 46.08/46.48 which had been the SC EMD low-band network frequencies. They now do weekly roll calls on EMD talkgroups on Palmetto 800, with EMD identifying as Warning Point and calling county agencies by name for check-in.

There is also a weekly DHEC roll call for hospital and medical facilities on the DHEC talkgroups on Palmetto 800.

And lastly, there is a daily roll call on the SC Regional Govt talkgroups on Palmetto 800. These occur nightly at 3am. For Troop 3 (SCHP dispatchers conduct the roll calls), Oconee Nuclear Security is one of the agencies asked to check in each night.

Status
Not open for further replies.