• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

9/11/01 Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon

Database Admin
I was mainly focused on the TV but later in the day I had some of the NORAD freqs plugged in that people were reporting acitivty on.

GM

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I had mine on starting 11:15 am, when I got home from the Community College. I could see the smoke from my vantage point and since I'm in a close proximity to NYC, I put the RS Pro-79 on "full scan alert." The radio waves were jammed for NYC (whatever I was able to pick up) and the local area for Middlesex County NJ was very active with various detours, road closures, info. gathering, etc. I also heard Civil Air Patrol for the first time, as well as FEMA, and other incident command frequencies at the time. I was unable to pick up any trunked systems, so unknown what was going on with Troop B's system. I was told that there was a hour-long hang time with repeater transmissions, due to the the North Tower collapsing, and one of NJSP's main towers on it.

akuter

Premium Subscriber
Not scanning, but I have a paid near real-time air traffic program, and I watched the grounding of all aircraft.

mancow

Database Admin
Yes, I heard B2 "Death" flights streaming out of Whiteman AFB. I also heard KC Center tell cranky pilots that wanted to continue on to their destination that if they didn't get in line to land they would be forced to land. Also, the GHFS HF system sounded like CB at one point.

mikie333

GM said:
Yes, I had mine on starting 11:15 am, when I got home from the Community College. I could see the smoke from my vantage point and since I'm in a close proximity to NYC, I put the RS Pro-79 on "full scan alert." The radio waves were jammed for NYC (whatever I was able to pick up) and the local area for Middlesex County NJ was very active with various detours, road closures, info. gathering, etc. I also heard Civil Air Patrol for the first time, as well as FEMA, and other incident command frequencies at the time. I was unable to pick up any trunked systems, so unknown what was going on with Troop B's system. I was told that there was a hour-long hang time with repeater transmissions, due to the the North Tower collapsing, and one of NJSP's main towers on it.

what kind of things did you hear?

cristisphoto

mikie333 said:
really, where???

MSNBC.com had a page that linked you too al the tapes for weeks after they released to the public...

I just wished they would sell them as whole nother media so you dont to be online just to hear them as they are LOOONG...
They could give the money that someone pays to a victims fund...
I.d buy them personally but hey I m wierd like that LOL
Crista

b52hbuff

I started up a Trunk*Star recording/log on the morning after the attacks. The most 'chilling' thing I ever heard was hearing an F-16 intercept on a civilian 747...

jerseymilair

I heard DEATH 99 the following day and had several A-10's from Willow Grove nearly shattering the windows of my house. I lived 1 mile from the Oyster Creek Nuclear Generating Station at the time. Also monitored numerous NORAD and AWACS callsigns along with most of the callsigns from Atlantic City's 177th FS.

Status
Not open for further replies.