• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

911 call, First responders are sent to the wrong boro. result a child dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
From what I understand about cardiac arrest in children - an ordinary "perfect" response is already too late. So your conclusion that he died as a result of the 911 mixup seems a little premature.

Couple things:

1. True cardiac arrest in children is astronomically rare.
2. Cardiac arrest does not prompt bleeding, from any orifice, which the child was reported as suffering from in the article. (In other words, there's more to his condition than we have been told.)
3. It is indeed the New York Post which postulates that the 911 response was pivotal in his death.
4. Even if New York City is actually a number of separate cities/boroughs, it is poor planning that allows for multiple roads to be named identically in one city/locale. Having said that, it doesn't excuse the call evaluator from getting it right.

N2MWE

Premium Subscriber
I have not worked at 911 in NYC since 1983. However, I do remember that when a call came in through 911, there was a recording at the beginning of the call announcing the borough the call was coming from. When I worked there, everything was divided into boroughs, and there was an overflow system. I would not be so quick to judge the 911 operator. If it came into the Brooklyn 911 area, then the operator can correctly assume it is a Brooklyn call.
The NY Post is in the business of selling newspapers. In 27 years in a uniform, I've learned that means more to any news agency than actually reporting the facts.

rdale

No - big snowstorm coming, plus I'm forecasting for KSC & Edwards with a potential shuttle landing tonight.

From what I understand about cardiac arrest in children - an ordinary "perfect" response is already too late. So your conclusion that he died as a result of the 911 mixup seems a little premature.
the point is that it was a 212 (manhattan) number but yet the call was dispatched to a 718 (brooklyn). Please reread the article before you start judging people. Just posting this tragic story.

rdale

I understand all you're saying... The concern among a few is that your subject line says the child died because of the mixup. That doesn't match the facts.

Im glad you understand. But you gotta remember in life every second counts. Being 20 late may or may not have save this kids life. But thats up to g0d.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
the point is that it was a 212 (manhattan) number but yet the call was dispatched to a 718 (brooklyn). Please reread the article before you start judging people. Just posting this tragic story.
Area codes make no difference. I today's world, it is not uncommon to have a 212 area code on a cell phone and live in the 404 (Atlanta) area. Happens day in and day out.

Dispatched to the wrong address and someone dies? Happens in Atlanta way too often with rarely anyone getting in trouble (except for the one dispatcher that had more negative reviews and complaints against her - they finally had to fire her).

Area codes make no difference. I today's world, it is not uncommon to have a 212 area code on a cell phone and live in the 404 (Atlanta) area. Happens day in and day out.

Dispatched to the wrong address and someone dies? Happens in Atlanta way too often with rarely anyone getting in trouble (except for the one dispatcher that had more negative reviews and complaints against her - they finally had to fire her).
wrong, this was a house phone from a landline connection. there is absoultly no way a for a 212 house phone that can make a call from brooklyn. all brooklyn house phone area calls are 718.

and, the first time (only time) I called 911 on my landline, the call center had the wrong address associated with my number.
9-1-1 gets its addressing from whatever the telephone company has on record as the location of your telephone. Blame Ma Bell.

Or your VoIP provider if you have that kind of system.

Status
Not open for further replies.