996/396

Status
Not open for further replies.

les108

I am currently sitting on the fence in regards to buying a new scanner.Currently ISP and other Law enforcement agencies are using digital for there day to day operations.
My choices are narrowed down to the bearcat 996/396.I am wondering are there any users from the Central Indiana area that can provide some input in regards to the pros and cons of the radio being involved in day to day usage..
Digital is my primary concern..and my county will be switching to digital within the next 12-18 from inital reports that I have heard.

Thanks

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
One is a mobile, the other is a handheld. You need to determine on your own which one fits your needs better based on the feature set...

Go-24

One advantage of the handheld is mobility - you can easily pick it up and take it with you from room to room. Will you be using it in a stationary location? If so then thats not going to be an important issue for you.

Currently usage of scanners in a mobile application (outside the home) is against the law in Indiana. So that might be something you should consider too ... I have both and use them equally.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Go-24 said:
Currently usage of scanners in a mobile application (outside the home) is against the law in Indiana. So that might be something you should consider too ... I have both and use them equally.

Unless you have a HAM License, then it is perfectly legal..A Ham License is $14 to take the test..I took it, and only studied for about 2 hours. Not a very hard test..

les108

Go-24 said:
One advantage of the handheld is mobility - you can easily pick it up and take it with you from room to room. Will you be using it in a stationary location? If so then thats not going to be an important issue for you.

Police scanners are part of my working equipment(news media),and I am licensed ham operator also.

les108

Do you have any real issues in regards to the reception of the Tippecanoe County TRS..??

Go-24

My reception is great, but I'm not too far from the west lafayette tower ;)

Hmmmm, maybe I better get me an elmer ;) though what does a scanner and a ham radio operator have in common? Two totally different things IMO, but I guess I wont argue with them.

K9GTJ

I would not want to only a base unit. While I love my 996T, my Pro-95 remains a work horse for me. (Kokomo/Howard Co is not digital.) A handheld can go anywhere at anytime ad battery power can be handy.

Maybe you need to get one of each. ;)

les108

kokomo1 said:
I would not want to only a base unit. While I love my 996T, my Pro-95 remains a work horse for me. (Kokomo/Howard Co is not digital.) A handheld can go anywhere at anytime ad battery power can be handy.

Maybe you need to get one of each. ;)

Good point perhaps I need to clear out some room on the visa for both......LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.