996 power adapter problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boulder

has anyone had any problems with the home power adapter for the 996? When i turned mine off last night it was working. When I plugged it in this morning it doesn't work. I can take it out to my truck and plug it in the vehicle wiring and it works fine, just not on the home adapter.

N9WP

I haven't had this problem but I remember on reading here a while back that other people did. Maybe someone else can jump in.

rhutch

Boulder said:
has anyone had any problems with the home power adapter for the 996? When i turned mine off last night it was working. When I plugged it in this morning it doesn't work. I can take it out to my truck and plug it in the vehicle wiring and it works fine, just not on the home adapter.

Do you have a multimeter? If so Just pug the adapter in and see if you have voltage, could be something as simple as a broken wire in the adapter, If it Just go buy another 12 v adapter. When you plug it in the vehicle are you using the same conection on the back of the unit? If it works there that rules out the radio.

Boulder

i got a new AC adapter in today for my 996 and plugged it in and it works now, came on no problem. Just got the scanner in November, and out of the blue the power adapter doesn't work anymore with no warning at all...seemed kinda weird with no cuts or knicks on the power cable though. DC adapter in my truck worked fine, don't know what went wrong with the AC adapter though, but it's working again.

Highpockets

Boulder said:
i got a new AC adapter in today and plugged it in and it works now, came on no problem. Just got the scanner in November, and out of the blue the power adapter doesn't work anymore with no warning at all...seemed kinda weird with no cuts or knicks on the power cable though. DC adapter in my truck worked fine, don't know what went wrong with the AC adapter though, but it's working again.

Take the old one apart, maybe you can fix it as a spare, may be something simple.

Viper43

Or you could ship it off to Uniden and they may replace it for you since the unit should still be under warranty.

Boulder

Highpockets said:
Take the old one apart, maybe you can fix it as a spare, may be something simple.

was going to try to do that tomorrow and see if hopefully i can fix it no problem and have another spare

Boulder

Viper43 said:
Or you could ship it off to Uniden and they may replace it for you since the unit should still be under warranty.

that's also a good idea viper...will do some checking on that tomorrow.

scanrrman

I had an AC adapter go out during a vacation. I just had an adapter go bad on a pro97. Half the day running, half the day charging. How long is an adapter good for?

Boulder

scanrrman said:
I had an AC adapter go out during a vacation. I just had an adapter go bad on a pro97. Half the day running, half the day charging. How long is an adapter good for?

not sure. Looking at the owner's manual for the 996 it says uniden warrants for one year to the original retail owner this uniden product to be free from defects in materials and craftsmanship. Only limitations listed below that mentions nothing about an AC adapter. Will call uniden tomorrow and see if it is covered or not.

Viper43

Like anything electronic theres no expiration date., they die, normally due to heat related causes, cold solder joints etc. No way to know, I have some that are going strong after 20 years. But if it's under the warranty of the original equipment warranty I'd see if it would be replaced as long as there are no obvious signs of miss-use like the dog chewing on it....

Boulder

Viper43 said:
Like anything electronic theres no expiration date., they die, normally due to heat related causes, cold solder joints etc. No way to know, I have some that are going strong after 20 years. But if it's under the warranty of the original equipment warranty I'd see if it would be replaced as long as there are no obvious signs of miss-use like the dog chewing on it....

there is no damage to the adapter cable still in good condition no cuts or gashes in the coating or anything and no pets here. just one of those things pretty much. Will call uniden in the morning and see if it is covered on the warranty.

delta_p

I use a USB-1 but I got a bad serial-to-scanner cable out of the box with my 396. You just reminded me I emailed Uniden customer service to see if they would replace under warranty. Still haven't heard a peep, been at least 3 months. Maybe you'll have better luck.

PP

Viper43

delta_p said:
I use a USB-1 but I got a bad serial-to-scanner cable out of the box with my 396. You just reminded me I emailed Uniden customer service to see if they would replace under warranty. Still haven't heard a peep, been at least 3 months. Maybe you'll have better luck.

PP

You should call, not email when it deals with faulty equipment that requires return, email can be deleted, and you have no clue who is on the other end, at least on the phone you get a real person to track back to, and most companies keep close tabs on phone support & returns.

Boulder

Called Uniden customer support this morning on the 800 number and was told that the warranty does cover the power adapter for the 1 year. Was given a fax number to fax in the copy of the receipt where I bought the scanner and they would send me another adapter at no charge. Just thought I'd let everyone know

Status
Not open for further replies.