996 vs. Rebanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos703

Will the current BC996 handle rebanding or will I have to buy a new scanner when rebanding comes along?

fireant

According to Uniden you should have no problems with the 996 on the rebanding issue. The others that should have no problems are the 246,330,396 and the BCT 15. Thats if I have not left any out. Are you thinking about getting a 996??

fireant

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Chaos703 said:
Will the current BC996 handle rebanding or will I have to buy a new scanner when rebanding comes along?

When, or maybe I should say "if", the rebanding happens (Sprint is balking) *and* *if* Motorola and/or the FCC actually changes the channel numbers that Mot systems use to assign freqs, then you'll need to flash your 996. Uniden has said that the newer generation trunk-trackers (246/396/996) have the ability to be updated for the new channel numbers.

EDACS and LTR don't rely on channel numbers, so any trunking scanner will be able to follow talkgroups on those systems after any potential rebanding/renumbering.

fireant

plaws said:
Uniden has said that the newer generation trunk-trackers (246/396/996) have the ability to be updated for the new channel numbers.

Don't forget to add the 330 to that list as upgradable.

fireant

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Rebanding is still the latest information. Uniden's statement is that while Uniden strongly expects to be able to support rebanding through firmware updates for some models, until a system is actually live with the new control channel format no guarantees can be made either way.

Chaos703

fireant said:
Are you thinking about getting a 996??

fireant

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one. But I want to get a hand held scanner and mobile mounted scanner that are cross-programable. (Is this the right term for being able to program the hand-held and then plug it into the mobile mounted unit to sync the programing?)

I know the RS scanners are cross-programable so I assume BC scanners are as well. If they are, does anyone one know which BC hand-held would be a good match for the 996? Would it be the 396?

By the way, thanks to everyone for the good rebanding info!

fireant

The 396 is the best the 996 just offers a few more features not found in the 396.

fireant

Status
Not open for further replies.