996T --> 996XT Cloning question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemoptysis

Hello, I have been requested to program a few 996XT scanners at work. They are mounted in vehicles and I don't want to have to pull them out individually to program them.

I have access to a 996T that isn't mounted anywhere that I can program. Is it possible to cable clone a 996T and a 996XT?

Thanks,

Joel

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
According to the wiki, no - and it's because there are numerous things the XT can do that the T model can't. A better solution is to use FreeScan and your own cable - that software supports both the XT and T models, and you should have few troubles making the transition, allowing for any differences between the 2 models, natch. (Besides, it's freeware and written by a fellow Canadian, eh? HI)

You can see the differences by comparing the 2 wiki articles on the scanners and comparing the various statistics...the stuff in bold on the XT are the differences with it's older T model...

BCD996T - The RadioReference Wiki

BCD996XT - The RadioReference Wiki

If the person who installed and programmed them was smart enough to leave the front port as the programming port (as you should), then, in theory at least, you shouldn't have to yank anything. Once you have your clone file(s) built, it should be pretty much plug and reload.

best regards..Mike

Last edited:

hemoptysis

Thanks so much for the rapid reply. I was afraid that that was what the answer was going to be... The front port is thankfully unobscured, I'll just use Freescan and a laptop.

Joel

One way I can think of to do what you want to accomplish is as follows:

1. Use FreeSCAN in your laptop
2. Download the 996T programs into FreeSCAN, do whatever programming changes if required
3. Upload the program from FreeSCAN into the 996XT

Of course you have to have the Uniden USB-1 programming cable and a laptop with FreeSCAN for this.

FreeSCAN works interchangeably and well with the 996T, 996XT, and with several other Uniden scanners. The Uniden USB-1 cable works with the 396s and 996s.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.