996t- Is there a speed setting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilgriff

My 996t seems like it scans slow to me- I believe I am only using about 30% of the memory-how can I tell if it is working at the correct speed? Also, is there any way to tell if I activated the attenuator, I accidentally hit the attenuator button after hitting the function button. Is there an indicator when it is activated?

cpuerror

Make sure you set the systsem hold time to 0, this is the most common reason people complain of slow scan speed. Some people have said that by sorting the channels in decreasing frequency it has helped their scan speed. Beyond that, short of overclocking it i dont know anyway to make it scan faster.

naSTI

Cpuerror is right, and this is probably as good as you'll get for speed. Assuming you don't have a lot of intermod or busy channels where you've set a PL/DCS/NAC filter on, in which case it needs to stop and go through and test each carrier it encounters to check for the tone/nac filter.

Also, it's a shame that DISPLAY MODE 2 does not show the ATT signal. This is only available in Mode 1. Hold on any channel and press FUNC + 0 on the 996 to toggle between the two modes.

naSTI

eraweeb

Please verify for me that frequencies should be decreasing in number instead of increasing as you scan.

I was always told that you should start with the lowest freq and go up.

Thanks.

evilgriff

Made the change

Ok, I changed the hold time to 0- that helped alot- scanner is quicker now-don't have the time right now to rearrange all of the frequencies-but I am satisfied with the current change, it turns out I am only using 20% of the memory of the scanner. I would like to thank all for your help on here, the info I have gained has helped me progress with this scanner. Not sure when I will have enough experience to help someone else, however. I liked the close call enough that I just bought the pro-84 at Radio Shack for 49 dollars for a cheap portable. It works good, easy to program, small and compact-not in the same league, but still gets much that I need to receive so does the job for me.
What I really wish for is a traffic site- where "real time" up to date info was around for traffic information. I used to use CB's a long time ago and it seems like much of that is dead now- I guess times have changed so much that it will not come back.
Steve

cpuerror

eraweeb said:
Please verify for me that frequencies should be decreasing in number instead of increasing as you scan.

I was always told that you should start with the lowest freq and go up.

Thanks.

Someone once posted here that decreasing helped more than increasing. I think when I get some time I will setup some systems, one decreasing, one increasing, one random, and time with a stop watch how long it takes it to do each system. Then its either going to be myth busted or myth confirmed.

Gearjam

cpuerror said:
Someone once posted here that decreasing helped more than increasing. I think when I get some time I will setup some systems, one decreasing, one increasing, one random, and time with a stop watch how long it takes it to do each system. Then its either going to be myth busted or myth confirmed.

How may I ask do you get to "hold Time"...Or Is It delay?

Gearjam

I Can,t find the Hold time. All It says In that manual Is to "scroll to hold time and press f>"
I need a bit of help on this.

edit: Is this just for conventional systems? I can fine hold time for conv. but not the trunks

Thanks

Last edited:

Gearjam

LOL I still can,t see that... under system options? Ok this Is what I'm doing....Ihit Menu>program System>select a system>edit system option....then what do I do next?...theres nothing that says Hold Time.
Thanks for any help

Gears

Gearjam

Hold times

UPMan said:
For the 996 is is a Site option.

That's why I couldn't find It ...I can clearly see Hold time now. They were all set to 0 ...so I will just leave that setting alone.
Thanks for jumping In there Paul

Gears

Status
Not open for further replies.