A bit of news on the R8600 / R30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy3

Around here (Manchester) most of the digital activity is DMR, with just a few NXDN channels scattered around. Perhaps it differs from area to area, but it's hard to see how it could.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
No DMR, no trunking, no Fusion, probably no P2 P25. That's a lot of limitations for a $2000 radio. One website in Japanese stated that they initially expect to sell 250 units (that's two hundred and fifty). What kind of support is ICOM going to provide for something that limited. I was really enthused when first heard about the 8600, but no longer.

MStep

No DMR, no trunking, no Fusion, probably no P2 P25. That's a lot of limitations for a $2000 radio. One website in Japanese stated that they initially expect to sell 250 units (that's two hundred and fifty). What kind of support is ICOM going to provide for something that limited. I was really enthused when first heard about the 8600, but no longer.

Hi Steve---

What is the certainty level that there will be no DMR or Fusion? That's pretty drastic. I know that we should never believe a manufacturer when they say modes will be "added later via firmware", but would this even be possible with the 8600.

I'm thinking that one of the reasons it is taking them so long to come out with the unit is that they are trying to incorporate as many different modes as possible. I wonder if they hit some type of major stumbling block ???

Air490

There will be no DMR because Icom don't use DMR in their land mobile products, and it would be unlikely they will invest in this protocol just for a receiver.
The oft repeated figure of "250 units" comes from the Icom Japan website and refers to the expected sales per year. Not a high number, but this is a niche product.
And as to no trunking, no Fusion, etc., Icom manufacture communication receivers. They are produced to fill a particular place in the market, often driven by domestic demand. Communication receivers are a tiny, tiny part of Icom's business. There are already plenty of trunking and P25 P2 scanners on the market if that is what you want or need.

genemalet

Lifetime Member and RadioReference Board Member
Everyone, For 2 grand, you wont get it all,

NO FUSION its a Yaesu Product and No DMR. ICOM will have its own version of DMR on the receiver, its P25 and Kenwood's NXDN.

Buy an MD-380 and listen to DMR and BUY a FT1D and FT2D and Listen to Fusion.

Or better yet do what I did,

If you want to listen to everything. Buy this, it works very well for me.

AOR ARD300 Decoder

AOR AR5001D Wideband Communications Receiver

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator

as a one time owner of a R7000, then a R7100 and even a 9000 (for a month...LOL) ---

this thread seriously makes me laugh.

I can do everything that radio does and MUCH MUCH MORE with a $20 RTL-SDR and a $200 laptop.

who in their right mind would pay north of $2k for this box today?

SMH.

doug

gonefishn1

as a one time owner of a R7000, then a R7100 and even a 9000 (for a month...LOL) ---

I can do everything that radio does and MUCH MUCH MORE with a $20 RTL-SDR and a $200 laptop.

Agreed, for the money it should include all digital modes and trunking.

MStep

SMH.

doug

Agreed that there is a lot you can do with a computer and the right program. Nevertheless, there are still some of us "old-timers" out here that like the feel of the buttons, switches, and especially the tuning knob, of a physical radio. I'm pretty happy with my AOR DV1, so the R8600 has to be some fantastic piece of equipment to command a price in the $2k range. I find it a bit disconcerting that the PDF version of the operating manual has not been made available yet.

prcguy

The performance of an RTL dongle is a very small fraction of the other receivers you've owned or the 8600. The RTL dongle is a re-puropsed low end TV tuner never designed to do what its being asked to do with SDR software. It does an adequate job for most and its very cheap, but you are getting exactly what you are paying for, an extremely cheap, extremely low performing VHF/UHF receiver with a lot of features from the free software.
prcguy

SMH.

doug

Ryangn

According to Universal Radio it has officially been released in Japan so it hopefully shouldn't be too long before it's released here. According to Universal "The IC-R8600 decodes multiple digital protocols, including D-STAR™, NXDN™, dPMR™, DCR (Digital Communication Radio) and APCO P25." Here's their link - Icom R8600 Wideband Receiver, Icom IC-R8600. Can't wait to see the price.

RFI-EMI-GUY

As this radio has P25 capability, it raises the question if it will respond to P25 trunking systems and P25 phase 2. Does it follow a control channel? If not can it scan those modes in a non affiliation mode?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

FrankNY

Icom IC-R8600 Instruction Manual Available

I find it a bit disconcerting that the PDF version of the operating manual has not been made available yet.
A final (non-preliminary) brochure and a 108-page Instruction Manual, both in the Japanese language and both internally dated March 30, 2017, are available for downloading from the Icom Japan Web site.

Regards,

Frank.

MStep

A final (non-preliminary) brochure and a 108-page Instruction Manual, both in the Japanese language and both internally dated March 30, 2017, are available for downloading from the Icom Japan Web site.

Regards,

Frank.

Good catch Frank. Preliminary examination of the PDF brochure would seem to indicate that DMR and Fusion are not going to be included in the initial release of the 8600.

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
Looks like some of the features (like the I/Q output) will come in future software releases.
I am looking forward to the US release.

MStep

Looks like some of the features (like the I/Q output) will come in future software releases.
I am looking forward to the US release.

I hope they continue building upon the platform and not let it die, like they did with the R9500. I would say it will be a good six months from the time the 8600 is made available here in the states, and the time that the "jury" renders their verdict. I'm generally not one to want to be the first on my block to have a new radio, at least, not one in that price range.

Do you plan on being one of the first bagmouse??

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I hope so :)
I have a pre-order already in, so I hope to get one as soon as they are available..
I am glad to see Icom back into the wideband receiver game. I suspected they were going to kill the 8500 and then discontinue the 9500 and focus on their other products, so I think it is fantastic that they are introducing an updated receiver.
Hopefully some more news about a US ship date will be coming soon.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Even though I do not understand Japanese, the google translate of the web page was interesting. The I/Q feature is a future release.

The Japanese manual was also interesting. The receiver will have a RTTY decoder like other Icom radios. The most interesting item for me is the license page in back. It appears one of the processors is an ARM Cortex-M using Keil CMSIS-RTOS RTX.
CMSIS

73 Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.