NewsArt A blast from the past - the famous Tokyo Akihabara district

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
and the Tokyo Radio Department Store, where you can find radios, parts and even valves (tubes for us Americans)...a real tear jerker for those that remember those days. And if you were really in the know, rumor had it that you could even find some grey market (i.e. illegally modified ham and CB gear, for example) stuff here...

Guest Post: A visit to Tokyo’s Akihabara district

From SWLing.com - have some tissue paper or hankies ready ... Mike

GB46

Interesting post! I'm reminded of the so-called "Radio Row" in downtown Manhattan that I used to visit back in the 1960s. It was either on or near Cortlandt St., if I remember correctly. At least, I used to get off the subway at the Cortlandt St. stop. The street was full of radio stores, some of them with good military surplus gear. I acquired an ARC-5 transmitter there for next to nothing, but couldn't put it on the air, since my technician class ham licence was restricted to VHF. I monkeyed around with it and tried to use it as a VFO in place of the 8 mHz crystal oscillator that was the first stage in my 2 meter transmitter. This melted a coil in the transmitter and I had to wind a new one. It also blanked out the TV downstairs. :LOL:

BTW, speaking of tear jerkers, a friend and I once had summer jobs taking inventory for an auto parts supplier affiliated with GM. My friend was tasked with destroying dozens of older model Delco car radios using a sledge hammer. They were new old stock, and he said he nearly wept while smashing them to bits. Fortunately, I didn't have that responsibility. Instead, I counted small auto parts and wrote the quantities down on tickets hanging from the bins. Someone else would follow me and count the same parts, writing his count on a stub torn off my ticket, so that the accuracy could be verified.

Boombox

Sony ICF5900 for about $350. Price seems about appropriate. I hope it works well!

majoco

Stirrer
Sounds just like Lisle Street and Tottenham Court Road, London in the 50's and 60's! More surplus stores than you could ever imagine!

Status
Not open for further replies.