A cheap 'n easy Taurus install

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWtoSFO

Right now I've got 4 scanners, all handhelds. I've used my Pro-97 exclusively for 3 years now and haven't found a reason to step up to a mobile unit, so I just plug away with what I have. The only thing I don't like about handhelds is the sound quality, though the 97 is pretty good. I used to just drop the scanners in the cup holders and they would stay, but they were hard to hear. So I went to Fry's and took care of it for about $20. Now I can see and hear what I want and it doesn't provide a distraction. Reception is from a RS mag-mount on the decklid.

Mind you, I'm not on a budget, I just spend most of my money on another hobby. But this would work for someone on a budget or apprehensive about using power tools on their car.

Attachments

• Car1.jpg
    Car1.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 1,548
  • Car3.jpg
    Car3.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 1,497
  • Car2.jpg
    Car2.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 1,468
  • Car4.jpg
    Car4.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 1,457

EncryptionMan

NWtoSFO "Mind you, I'm not on a budget, I just spend most of my money on another hobby. But this would work for someone on a budget or apprehensive about using power tools on their car."

Looks pretty cheap to me for someone not on a budget.

Id say it is hazard. Permanent mount seems like a better option in the area below the dash using a mobile mount scanner. Once you have been listening long enough and memorize the buttons you will not even have to look down. There are nice mounting options for the Taurus as we have many in our fleet. I have never installed a scanner in a vehicle before but for power you have easy access to the 12V port directly above the floor area (some cars even have two there) it would be an easy point to grab power. One device I ordered a while back (I will look for the part number and manufacture) is a removable mount that sits an an angle it would fit a mobile scanner nicely. Mind you, I have a center console with XTL 5000's and have to look down (taking my eyes from the road on very rare occasions) that setup seems like a danger to me. Sorry for the negative post.

Scampi

Love it!
I have my GPS mounted at the same spot in my Mercedes, a nice way to spread the equipment out a little.
I think the dash get's kinda' "heavy" in the middle if everything is mounted there...besides, that way no one else is playing with my GPS ;P

SAR923

Two issues. The first is the view blockage. The CHP takes a dim view of things hanging from your rearview mirror let alone a radio that's going to arouse their interest even more. Second is that the radio will be exposed to that Valley sun all summer, which can't be good for the radio in the long run. I'd try to move the mount down to somewhere between the seats.

SAR923

CLTX11 said:
Edit: just saw this thread...sure is funny nobody is complaining about his install even though its identical.

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106367

Hmmm...you apparently missed my comment addressing the identical issue. I'd first worry about the effects of direct sunlight on the radio, especially washing out the LED when it's hot. As far as view blockage, a lot of states, including Alabama, don't seem to give a darn how much junk you hang in your windshield or even if the windshield is full of cracks. Given a number of years experience as a peace officer in California, I know that's not the case and the CHP is pretty aggressive about citing drivers with any obstruction to forward view. The OP presumably posted the picture so he could get comments from the members here. I told him what I thought. The best way not to deal with the "RR Police" is not post pictures. That way you'll never have to worry about getting your feelings hurt.

kd6ecz

There was a warning in the instruction manual of my Garmin Nuvi 680 that mentions that it's unlawful in California (and one other state) to stick the thing to my windshield using the supplied suction cup mount. I'm not sure what the reasoning is but I am guessing that the law applies to anything being stuck to the windshield. I don't think too many cops pay attention to the law however because I see quite a few folks driving around with GPS units stuck to their windshields here in So Cal.

af5rn

CLTX11 said:
Edit: just saw this thread...sure is funny nobody is complaining about his install even though its identical.

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106367
It's not identical. One is in Kalifornia and the other one is not. That is the reason for the difference. I don't think anyone really gives a rat's arse where this guy mounts his radio. But it would be un-brotherly to not make sure he is aware that he's flirting with a CHP hassle. After all, not every driver is aware of the law. I would certainly want to know if someone saw something wrong with my install, otherwise why would I post it here?

NWtoSFO

Appreciate the responses, both positive and negative. I hadn't actually driven the car with the radio in this position when I took the pics, but I soon noticed that I didn't like it sitting right in front of my face. I moved it to another location that doesn't obstruct any view, and I can still see it without having to avert my eyes very far. And, yes, it is still suctioned. Flirting with a CHP hassle is not something I'm trying to invite, so the advice here was used wisely. I'll get it powered properly soon, but for now it works for me.

af5rn

Mounting radios up in easy view is definitely something that seems intuitively smart, but doesn't really pan out in practice, at least for me. The experienced scannist knows exactly what he is listening to without even needing to look at the display, and can work the controls without looking as well. It's just extremely rare that I need to actually look at my scanners to operate them. Heck, that could be why there are so many visually impaired radio hobbyists.

Of course, if you are still not intuitively proficient with your radio (the generic "you", not you in particular), then you probably shouldn't be trying to operate it while driving. Nobody wants to hear their own major accident get dispatched. :lol:

SCPD

QRT
Not bad, My Bro mounted his XM like that. What works for you is what matters most. Good clean install.

geoff5093

It's funny how this member is getting bashed about the location, where there was another thread not too long ago with a 396T in the same location, and everyone was saying how great it was.

N1BHH

Not another gripper mount. I advise people to never get those, because the spring tensioner wears out quickly and your radio investment can become a pile of useless electronics when that happens. I have seen it happen with several scanners. I have PanaVise ClipCaddy #777 for holding many of my radios, securely mounted on a couple different locations in my van. There are others out there under different brand names. I am so busy, haven't taken pictures yet. The ClipCaddy is very inexpensive and easy to install. It's best to use the supplied screws and a sturdy bracket mounted to the dashboard in whatever fashion is available, next to your car stereo as an example, or next to your glove box. In other words, a solid hold on the radio, saves you the pain of replacement in the end. At least the radio is being seen and when you need to adjust something, you don't take your eyes off the road.

af5rn

geoff5093 said:
It's funny how this member is getting bashed about the location, where there was another thread not too long ago with a 396T in the same location, and everyone was saying how great it was.
Obviously you didn't read the posts above yours before posting.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
SAR2401 said:
Two issues. The first is the view blockage. The CHP takes a dim view of things hanging from your rearview mirror let alone a radio that's going to arouse their interest even more. Second is that the radio will be exposed to that Valley sun all summer, which can't be good for the radio in the long run. I'd try to move the mount down to somewhere between the seats.

Naah, I don't think it'll be a problem (see below).

-AZ

Attachments

• chips.jpg
    chips.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 640
Status
Not open for further replies.