• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

A good thing, bad, or mix thing to be smart and trying to learn as much as you can?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
Is being smart and loving to learn good, bad, or a perfect mix?

I've always been the type who always tried to go well in school. I never really felt like school/college was work, both always seemed so easy to me. I'm a guy who thought Algebra was one of the easier and kinda fun subjects. (Many other people I know never felt that way).

Now the reason for the post title, is, I'm curious how people view those who are the types who care to always learn and try new things.

The reason I ask is simple. I've had many people, tell me that I'm amazingly talented and I really need to go seek degrees in college and that I amaze them. Yet I've had other people who told me, I analyze too much and that I'm annoying. I've even had other's who when it came to me, it was "W(who)TF is he and who cares what he does?".

I think it depends on who you associate with and talk to, on what their reaction will be.

I've always just found it funny, how in the course of one day (actually happens a lot), I can manager to bore one person, amaze the living crap out of another using the computer/radio/scanner/shortwave, baffle another, make another laugh, and then make another mad/angry at me.

I have to laugh because this post is basically analyzing, but I still would like to have some answers or at least clues. LoL. I mean, I think it's more of how everyone is different, than just you.

Also, I am curious does anyone else have this, like I said, where you basically seem to give different reactions in everybody? I mean like what I said, where you seem to impress, then maybe annoy, then confuse, then maybe impress again. I mean, where it seems like, every body you talk to, seems to have a completely different impression of you. I find this interesting, because many people always seem to give the same impression to everybody, but people like me, for some reason, seem to give tons of different impressions. LoL.

Anyway, just another post that's intriguing like one poster said about my threads. LoL.

EDIT: I think sometimes it has to do with the other person you are talking to's knowledge level as well, because I seem to impress the non-techies more than I ever really impress the techies. I've managed to amaze people just by playing a distant AM station at night or simply showing them an online scanner feed. Though I have to admit, I do sometimes impress techies with my Linux, because many techies I know don't seem to really know or care for Linux, but still seem amazed at what I can do with it.

Last edited:

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
You probably have Aspergers syndrome like most disfunctional Linux fans.

But your preaching to the choir here about getting excited about nerdy things and possessing above-average intelligence. For the most part, this board is pretty sharp even though there are several dim bulbs. It probably doesnt help your cause, but some of the smartest people I have met in terms of quantitative skills, are some of the most useless people that wouldnt be able to dress themselves if their mother didnt do it for them. The key is to apply above average intelligence well and be able to positivly influence others. Without that, you cant think your way out of a paper bag. With this in mind, I have seen many a savant waste away arguing about Dungeons and Dragons on IRC when they could be inventing the no-stink armpit or something. Ever wonder what happens to all those "child prodigies" that are taking grad classes at 13? Usually, they end up doing some dead-end mindless job or eat a wad of 00 buckshot. You would think they would be president, or space shuttle captain right? I've also seen some real dopes that are well meaning, but great with people really get things done and become very successfull. Best thing to do is to find one of these people, team up and let your talents build off each other. You innovate, he shmoozes. I'm somewhere in between oddly enough. I go through bouts of intense emotional intelligence, then withdraw and become supernerd and figure out how to save the princess and win the game with only a book of matches, my belt, and a magnifying glass.

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
I see

DanTSX said:
You probably have Aspergers syndrome like most disfunctional Linux fans.

But your preaching to the choir here about getting excited about nerdy things and possessing above-average intelligence. For the most part, this board is pretty sharp even though there are several dim bulbs. It probably doesnt help your cause, but some of the smartest people I have met in terms of quantitative skills, are some of the most useless people that wouldnt be able to dress themselves if their mother didnt do it for them. The key is to apply above average intelligence well and be able to positivly influence others. Without that, you cant think your way out of a paper bag. With this in mind, I have seen many a savant waste away arguing about Dungeons and Dragons on IRC when they could be inventing the no-stink armpit or something. Ever wonder what happens to all those "child prodigies" that are taking grad classes at 13? Usually, they end up doing some dead-end mindless job or eat a wad of 00 buckshot. You would think they would be president, or space shuttle captain right? I've also seen some real dopes that are well meaning, but great with people really get things done and become very successfull. Best thing to do is to find one of these people, team up and let your talents build off each other. You innovate, he shmoozes. I'm somewhere in between oddly enough. I go through bouts of intense emotional intelligence, then withdraw and become supernerd and figure out how to save the princess and win the game with only a book of matches, my belt, and a magnifying glass.
Well, I don't have Aspergers, but I have a friend who actually does. I'm not going to lie, I actually have OCD and ADHD, and used to have Oppositional Defiant Disorder. I am always being studied for possibly being bipolar.

Now please don't anyone get me wrong, I'm not trying, to act like I'm better than anyone nor trying to insult anyone. I'm just having a thread about something that happens to me as my everyday life basically.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
RedPenguin said:
Well, I don't have Aspergers, but I have a friend who actually does. I'm not going to lie, I actually have OCD and ADHD, and used to have Oppositional Defiant Disorder. I am always being studied for possibly being bipolar.

Now please don't anyone get me wrong, I'm not trying, to act like I'm better than anyone nor trying to insult anyone. I'm just having a thread about something that happens to me as my everyday life basically.

Thats quite an alphabet of issues. I know all about ADD. I've been treated for years for it. Do you think that some of your over-analyzing is a result of the medication (if you are being medicated for it) I should scan and post some of the graphs and plots I did while taking futures and deriviatives in college. On one hand they are genius works that are comprehensive and approach a slide rule in complex accuracy. On the other hand, they are completly idiotic as they tell me the same thing a simple function or equation would without al the pretty pen and ink drafting. A pure waste of time, but I felt that they were essential for me to fundamentally understand the subject at hand. The "smart" student would learn what they need to know (the equation) and let things be and move on. But me, 40-60mg of ritalin, and an iPod full of Prog Rock said "lets see how the math "ticks".:cool: " Now the level of understanding that I was getting by obsessing over the function would lead me into inane subjects such as predicting the demand for steel under different rates of inflation in various industrial nations. Amazing **** let me tell you, but it wasnt winning me any job offers as my enthusiasm and knowledge was a little intimidating and even off-putting, and probably annoying. I then tossed the pills out the window (nah they are in a drawer for when I really do have to predict the price of used beatles records in china;) )But I pulled back enough to let my natural confidence through and my quirks show up as just that, quirks, and not dissorders and you know what? The offers came, attention and companionship followed. I mean if you gotta take pills because the dragon/clown will eat you if you dont, then hey man take the pills, but i'm afraid that some of your symptoms you describe may be related to the psychosis of too much methlyphenidate/amphetamine salt. The other end of it is just growing up. Not a bad thing, just naturally when the time is right.

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
Hmmmm

Well my family is just full of stuff. Much of many family can't stand people's "silliness".

I'm from a history of social anxiety, OCD, clinical depression, and a whole bunch of other stuff, I don't know the right words for.

At times, I feel like talking to people, and being extremely social, then in an instant, it's like, I want to go hide, then in another instant, I want to be social again, then I want to hide. I never seem to hide all the time or be social all the time, it's like my mind seems to want both. LoL.

I can see what you mean by finding out information like how much stuff is and where, I never quite did that, but, I sometimes I wonder, what if we didn't have the phone, the computer, or something else? LoL.

I basically try to solve problems and often feel that I came up with fairly ok and sometimes really good solutions, but often, I'm just ignored. For example, I ride the public buses a lot, and had some good solutions, some were agreed upon by bus drivers that I talk to, but nothing I ever say, seems to be taken seriously. LoL. (My local bus company has a history of passing people up after someone calls for the bus in it's Rural division, so I had some suggestions on how to help stop that or minimize it).

I guess the reason, that I seem like I could be boosting or trying to impress is, I have a personality kinda like a comedian, I like to make people laugh and notice me, yet I have some qualities that can push people away. For example, I can be in a funny/sarcastic mood when it's not appropriate or I can try to be funny with people, who don't like it.

Anyway, I'm out again. LoL.

mancow

Database Admin
Oppositional Defiant Disorder

Sounds like another one of those fancy excuses to over medicate a kid when all he really needs is a good ass beating. :roll:

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
HeHe

mancow said:

Sounds like another one of those fancy excuses to over medicate a kid when all he really needs is a good ass beating. :roll:
HaHa, I know what you mean. I of course never had any say back then, that's just what the doctor(s) believed on me back when I was a child/younger.

Anyway, I think sometimes many people are way too quick at diagnosing disorders/diseases, and I think many people say they or someone else has OCD or ADHD/ADD just because they have one or two "symptoms". LoL.

mancow

Database Admin
Yep...it's all about $$

I was at local grade school a couple of years ago and I saw an office lady opening up a huge multi tray tackle box. I about **** myself when I saw that each lure spot had a pill bottle in it. There had to have been 50 kids getting doped up every day.

It's criminal.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
<rant>
Amazingly in the 70s to mid 80s none of those terms existed - at least were not thrown around enough for people to know about them and misuse them. When the doctors prescribe the hell out of one medicine for too long and finally get called out for handing it out so trivially and/or the pharmacutical companies aren't making enough money off of the meds, suddenly some new 'diagnosis' or 'disease' (with typiccally a 3-letter acronym) comes on the scene.

Whatever happened to the good old days when the parents actually raised their children properly and nipped this crap in the bud. All signs usually point back to bad parenting, at least when it comes to the 3-letter acronyms.
</rant>

RedPenguin - I have the attention span of a gnat when it comes to listening to what people have to say - but it's more an issue of being a bad manager of time and always feeling pinched for it - and everyone else seems to not give a damn about time and have no problem taking all day to accomplish tasks that I finish off in minutes because I am always putting my mind to the task(s) at hand. But I'll tell ya now that you would/do annoy the hell out of me rofl. At the same time though, I can tell you're not an idiot. So I can actually deal with it. It's the ranting mindless dolts that I have a problem with. You know the type - They like to go on and on about all sorts of things that they obviously can't speak intelligently about because they don't know it or haven't experienced it.

I still think of you, somewhat affectionately, as Andy Rooney though.

Mike

ibagli

Premium Subscriber
mancow said:

In my experience, a lot of cases are that, and the unfortunate overdiagnoses overshadow the kids who really do need help.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
RedPenguin said:
Well my family is just full of stuff. Much of many family can't stand people's "silliness".

I'm from a history of social anxiety, OCD, clinical depression, and a whole bunch of other stuff, I don't know the right words for.

At times, I feel like talking to people, and being extremely social, then in an instant, it's like, I want to go hide, then in another instant, I want to be social again, then I want to hide. I never seem to hide all the time or be social all the time, it's like my mind seems to want both. LoL.

I can see what you mean by finding out information like how much stuff is and where, I never quite did that, but, I sometimes I wonder, what if we didn't have the phone, the computer, or something else? LoL.

I basically try to solve problems and often feel that I came up with fairly ok and sometimes really good solutions, but often, I'm just ignored. For example, I ride the public buses a lot, and had some good solutions, some were agreed upon by bus drivers that I talk to, but nothing I ever say, seems to be taken seriously. LoL. (My local bus company has a history of passing people up after someone calls for the bus in it's Rural division, so I had some suggestions on how to help stop that or minimize it).

I guess the reason, that I seem like I could be boosting or trying to impress is, I have a personality kinda like a comedian, I like to make people laugh and notice me, yet I have some qualities that can push people away. For example, I can be in a funny/sarcastic mood when it's not appropriate or I can try to be funny with people, who don't like it.

Anyway, I'm out again. LoL.

Hah, well I was just giving you an example of when I would be over-analytical. I guess it is better to say that if I have an interest in a particular topic, then I really obsess and get to know it front and back. Today it might be 1950s diners, tomorrow it might be WWI and inter-war zepplins. Who knows whats next. I've become the go-to guy for trivia night at the local pub because I can be relied on to know what type of ape is the most sexually deviant ( the bonobo chimp :D )

I dunno about the change thing. People dont change too often, and rarely by mere suggestion. Usually because they really cannot change what and how they do things. Thats something to learn with age.

as far as everything else, it may help to not rely on classifying your traits along the DSM IV. You are you, and just leave it at that. If you have problems with authority, dont allow yourself to chalk it up to opposational disorders. Chalk it up to something you need to change, rather than have other people change. It sounds like you may be going through some of the typical teenage changes a little late,(not puberty, the whole "where do I fit" thing) which is fine. Many people do this late these days. Just chill and accept it as normal, rather than abnormal behavior which is medically treated. You will know what you need to change by peoples reactions. If your actions have the desired effect on people (good or bad) your doing the right thing, if not, then you can change. It sounds like your on the beginning of the "getting to know yourself" stage, and all I can do is wish you good luck and to just go with it. :cool:

blinddog50

Name Change

The RR Mental Masturbation Forum.

C'mon Guys, take it to Dr. Phil.
Lighten up.
People are like chemicals.
Some mix together better than others.

Life sucks.....Get a helmet.

trace1

RedPenguin said:
I've always been the type who always tried to go well in school. I never really felt like school/college was work, both always seemed so easy to me. I'm a guy who thought Algebra was one of the easier and kinda fun subjects. (Many other people I know never felt that way).
Excellent, good for you a positive attitude should take you far in life and help you achieve your goals...

RedPenguin said:
Now the reason for the post title, is, I'm curious how people view those who are the types who care to always learn and try new things.
Are you really sure that is the reason?

RedPenguin said:
The reason I ask is simple. I've had many people, tell me that I'm amazingly talented and I really need to go seek degrees in college and that I amaze them. Yet I've had other people who told me, I analyze too much and that I'm annoying. I've even had other's who when it came to me, it was "W(who)TF is he and who cares what he does?".
So are you looking for others to praise you here or belittle you?

RedPenguin said:
I think it depends on who you associate with and talk to, on what their reaction will be.
And you'd be correct...

RedPenguin said:
I've always just found it funny, how in the course of one day (actually happens a lot), I can manager to bore one person, amaze the living crap out of another using the computer/radio/scanner/shortwave, baffle another, make another laugh, and then make another mad/angry at me.
And your point is?

RedPenguin said:
I have to laugh because this post is basically analyzing, but I still would like to have some answers or at least clues. LoL. I mean, I think it's more of how everyone is different, than just you.
Why do you find the need to laugh?

This post seems to be filled with your desire to be recognized for your accomplishments...

RedPenguin said:
Also, I am curious does anyone else have this, like I said, where you basically seem to give different reactions in everybody? I mean like what I said, where you seem to impress, then maybe annoy, then confuse, then maybe impress again. I mean, where it seems like, every body you talk to, seems to have a completely different impression of you. I find this interesting, because many people always seem to give the same impression to everybody, but people like me, for some reason, seem to give tons of different impressions. LoL.
For some reason I'm reminded of this...

People are strange when you're a stranger
Faces look ugly when you're alone
Women seem wicked when you're unwanted
Streets are uneven when you're down
When you're strange
Faces come out of the rain
When you're strange
No one remembers your name
When you're strange
When you're strange
When you're strange
When you're strange
When you're strange
When you're strange
When you're strange
When you're strange
When you're strange
When you're strange
When you're strange
When you're strange
When you're strange
RedPenguin said:
Anyway, just another post that's intriguing like one poster said about my threads. LoL.
And, then isn't it that, that this post is all about?

RedPenguin said:
EDIT: I think sometimes it has to do with the other person you are talking to's knowledge level as well, because I seem to impress the non-techies more than I ever really impress the techies. I've managed to amaze people just by playing a distant AM station at night or simply showing them an online scanner feed. Though I have to admit, I do sometimes impress techies with my Linux, because many techies I know don't seem to really know or care for Linux, but still seem amazed at what I can do with it.
Again, this post seems to be filled with your desire to be recognized for your accomplishments...

But that's okay, 'cause that is what is so great about the country we live in. We're free to say whatever it is we like...

As long as it doesn't offend anyone else, right? ;)

Bandingabout

When you're strange
When you're strange
When you're strange
When you're strange
When you're strange
When you're strange
When you're strange
When you're strange
When you're strange
When you're strange
When you're strange
When you're strange
When you're strange
When you're strange
When you're strange

A credit for Jim and The Doors is in order here. Dude, get yourself some philosophy material and get to your core. Then get over it. It changes.

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
trace1 said:
So are you looking for others to praise you here or belittle you?
Well, I would like to say neither, but probably deep down, in my psychological, without even really truely realizing it, it was probably related to what you said in your two quotes below.

trace1 said:
This post seems to be filled with your desire to be recognized for your accomplishments...
I think you have correctly eyed out what the exact issue is. I thought I had this licked, but I guess, that my mind is still looking for accomplishment.

I'm not positive but I think it has something to do with self-esteem, because, I've always had it in school, and in school really no one cared about what anyone else could do. They usually were too busy with what they were doing. Then again, there was always gossip sometimes.

trace1 said:
Again, this post seems to be filled with your desire to be recognized for your accomplishments...
Again, I think you hit the core of my problem, that I think that I need to fix. I kinda figured out that this was a problem, but I never was really sure, but from what everyone has said, I can tell, that I feel like I'm in need of recognizability for something. I don't truely know why, because I feel that I'm in an O.K. life, I mean, many people are proud of me (Not, I'm not trying to bloat), just stating a fact. Yet for some reason, it's like somewhere deep down, it's like something is missing. I think it's related to obsession of some sort.

I'm done with any posts like this, I mean, it seemed like a good idea at first, and I guess it kinda was in a way, I figured out what some of the things that I need to change are, but I think it was just an annoyance to everyone instead. Oh well. At least I did this in the Wasteland not any of the major forums, LoL.

Anyway, I'm out.

EDIT: You know, it's so weird, because I've always got annoyed at my one friend, who always thought of his self and was egotistical (said about him by others also), and now it seems like, that's basically what I am, but maybe not as blunt as him. I kinda feel hypocritical now. Oh well.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
It's been my personal experience that smart people (like me) get great paying jobs doing highly technical things. I'm a business/data analyst and right now, as I type this, my computer is running an automated whois lookup against the domain portion of over 700 email addresses to help identify records in our database that may have inaccurate email addresses in it. Neat.

It's also been my personal experience that us smart people often have to report to people that you couldn't trust to out-scrabble a houseplant yet make considerably more money than we do. The people they report to are even dumber and make even more. And the people THEY report to (they usually have VP in their title) are usually the ones who managed to screw up some spreadsheet or database and as the emails trickle down the chain, guess who ends up un-screwing things up? Yeah... that would be me. The "Smart Guy".

Sigh. Sometimes it's better to be the dummy.

-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.