a little late~ i hope this is not a trend at all air shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlynaugh

i could not bring my scanner to Andrews AFB jsoh. i was blocked by the army military police soldiers. i was not happy that they did not allow my scanner. i was not going to any police activity just the ground and air chatter.. well i will be attending the westfield/barnes international airshow up in massachusetts in august. i hope they allow my scanner onto the base

I have seen a couple of you guys with problems at Andrews......I have been going to Andrews since 2001 and have never had a problem. The guys at the checkpoint before I get on the bus always take it out of my bag and make me turn it on and look it over really well. I have even had people that weren't sure about it call someone over to approve it, but I have never had a problem bringing it onto the base for the show. I do get bugged about the size of my camera bag every year, but after they see my camera gear they let me through.

I just went to the JSOH website and scanners are not on the "Not Allowed" list:

Prohibited Articles/Items
All other Coolers (Hard or Soft, unless medically required)
Backpacks
Camelpacks
Narcotics and Paraphernalia
Camera Bags (Larger than 1 cubic foot)
Roller Blades, Skates, and Skateboards
Weapons
(including, but not limited to knives, firearms, explosives, bio/radiological substances)
Bikes
Pets
All Food
Beverages, Open or Closed (except baby formula)
No Political Activity

I have been to about 50 air shows since the late '80's and have only been turned away once b/c of my scanner (had to put it back in my car) and that was just a small show at the local airport. If you're nice to the security people they are typically nice to you....they are just doing their jobs.

CalebATC, I don't recommend telling security at an AFB what you think....not the best way to get people to know you.

Mike

duchee

Thank you, been collecting a while now :) the list of camera and len's are impressive too BTW, how's Duluth? I lived there from 68 to 73 :) Went to Grant Elem there, my sister went to Duluth Central. It was Duluth I first got interested in radio. And I always had fun going up to the airbase too.

V
duluth probally hasnt changed much. more people lots of diffrent schools. central sold. and denfield extended. really sad news.

duchee

this is going to be a long thread. im definitely going to a air show next year. its pretty cheap here.

CalebATC

mlynaugh;1346378 CalebATC said:
That's why I avoid AFB airshows all the time. I dont mind ARB's. But AFB's, I avoid at all cost unless the Angels are going to be there, along with a few other preformers.

I own just as much as the base as the men and women on it. I'd rather see our tax dollars go to something worthwile, something that can do the job better (cough cough, Navy)

But for now, until they change there ways, I try to avoid going to AFB's. NAS's are filled with a whole lot nicer people. And their shows are usually better.

mlynaugh

Just trying to help you Caleb. I see you are only 14 and I can tell you that if you avoid AFB shows at all costs you are going to be missing out on some pretty special events over the years.

All I'm saying is to not yell at security guards that are only doing their jobs and you will have a much more pleasant time anywhere you go.

Mike

Mike Lynaugh Photography
Washington DC photographer/photojournalist Mike Lynaugh

CalebATC

Just trying to help you Caleb. I see you are only 14 and I can tell you that if you avoid AFB shows at all costs you are going to be missing out on some pretty special events over the years.

All I'm saying is to not yell at security guards that are only doing their jobs and you will have a much more pleasant time anywhere you go.

Mike

Mike Lynaugh Photography
Washington DC photographer/photojournalist Mike Lynaugh

Like I said, if they are worthwile, I will go. Such as Macdill AFB this year, great show. As long as they let me have my scanner, I'll go, most likely.

BTW, very nice pictures on your website. Were you able to visit the USS Enterprise?

simplec6

the airshow i havve i will hook up to my computer and stream it to my phone with my headset. good luck them taking my scanner away :D cant take phone away either. its part of my job lol

I was going to PM you, but noticed there are no PM's on this board apparently?

What software/programs are used to stream my scanner into my laptop and out to my cell phone?

CORN

Premium Subscriber
All but one USAF open house has allowed my scanner in. Those are Tyndall and Eglin. Tyndall seemed to have the more friendly knowledgable personel. The base that didn't was Nellis. But since they are this big bad ass testing compund i should have expected it. They think their &%$# don't stink anyways. That was my first air show to turn down my scanner prior to the Eglin and Tyndall show a few years later. Lessons learned: I put my radio in my bag and keep my mouth shut. Nellis was the first base show ever for me so as a newbie to military shows (all my prior shows since the late "70's when i was a kid until the Nellis show in 2008 have been at civil airports) i asked a SP about it and at first it was ok and i got thru security ok but once in line for the bus another one came over and it snowballed from there. So now i put my radio in my camera bag and KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT! I let them look over everything and let them make the first move about questions, etc. Never had an issue since.

I agree though that the Navy base shows are much more patron friendly and the personel is top notch. Oceana was and Pensacola NAS is as well. Matter of fact in terms of getting people in and out NAS Pensacola gets my vote. I hope Dobbins in scanner friendly. All indications are it is.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Just for info, the current Miraman MCAS Airshow rules:

Are FRS/GMRS radios allowed?
FRS/GMRS radios are permitted. VHF band and other scanners are also permitted, but transmitters/transceivers are not.

Also from that site, at a different spot, listed as 'permitted':

PCS/cellular phones, pagers and FRS transceivers
Handheld portable televisions, radios and VHF scanners

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.