• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

A Little Story, CH 6, and "Keydowns".

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiation8

I am no stranger to CB radio, and I remember the first time I ever "played" with a CB radio, I will never forget it, and although I am only 28, I think I was about 15 when I first learned what CB was. My dad used to have one in his truck when he pulled Goose neck RVs for people for a living, it was a Dak Mark V, I believe and when I had asked him several times what the CB was, he always seemed pre-occupied or busy with work (or almost like he didn't want anything to do with it), but he didn't have any objections to me hooking it up and messing with it, at the time I already had a decent knowledge of DC voltage and basic electronics. At the time we also Lived in a 5th Wheel RV, and so I set the antenna on the top of the RV, hooked everything up and started playing away, at first I didn't hear a lot. One night when a friend of mine spent the night we started messing with it having a ton of fun. Long story short, it was Channel 6 I believe and I lived in Central Oklahoma, and I was talking with a guy on there from Kansas, It seemed like my friend and I spent hours talking to this guy just jabbering on and on we stayed up till about 2am.

Little did I know at the time that CB was a huge world, and AT that time Ch 6 didn't seem to be as active. Some time after that someone else taught me that Ch 19 is the trucker channel, Channel 6 is the "Super Bowl", Channel 9 is emergency, and 38 LSB.....so on and so on. Since then I have had a few radios in vehicles, and a couple bases, but from the time I first played with that Dak Mark till about 8ish Months ago, CB seems to have really died off, here recently it has picked up A BUNCH!!!! I can hear someone yabbering on just about half the channels daily.

But what I still don't know the history to, or how the super bowl channel came to be, and this whole concept of a "Keydown", Youtube it! Its quite....interesting to say the least, and how do they tell who's the "winner"?

The precursor to this, and what you guys won't believe, The reason I started this thread is that about a week ago I ran into someone (a very nice fellow) who had an older dodge looking "SUV" that looked like it had been converted from a truck, which had 4 massive vertical antennas that needed support from the front bumper to the rear.....The person will remain anonymous for obvious reasons, but he showed me the inside, and needless to say I was blown away!!!! He had 10 Massive Alternators, I lost count of batteries and a massive box looking like something out of a space ship, I asked him how much power this all was, and he asked me "Do you know what AM stations broadcast at?" I said "Yes" and he just smiled and laughed......I then asked him the whole story behind channel 6, and he laughed again, and said "It is what it is!, Its just something I do for a hobby" I thanked him for showing me his rig, and we parted ways as I "was actually late for work" but I didn't care to see this monstrosity!

Here I am thinking I am committing a huge crime running a measly 20watts....

Now I know the whole sourness between some CB guys and some Ham guys, but come on, no matter who's side you are on you have to hand it to them and give em some credit, people running ludicrous power, they built like 85-90% of this stuff, that's skill, time, and money, and argumentatively albeit for illegal "activities". But it's not like the FCC can (or will) track down EVERY single person doing this, and fine/arrest them. It seems to me, and someone correct me if I am wrong they only go after the ones who are causing a massive amount of interference. And if you know of someone who is creating tons of RFI, just simply ask in a nice mannered tone, and be polite. It's 2016 people, no need for hate and bashing people (unless they are physically damaging you equipment, no I'm kidding be nice!) for doing something they love. The place I used to live, the neighbor gripped at my landlord because I mowed my grass at 6pm because she slept during the day and worked at night......I told her all she had to do was ask if I could change my schedule being polite, and we were nice to each other from then on.

Getting off topic but I was just curious what peoples thoughts were, and if anyone had any history to CH 6 and "Keydowns", and how this all came to be....

radiation8

Thanks for that read! Interesting to say the least....

On a side not take a listen to what I recorded the other day, It's kinda sad to be honest, poor guy was just passing through........(I apologize to mods in advance if this is not allowed)

Also when he talks about pills, he is referring to the Output Transistors....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwsfQY5Yml0

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
My scanner covers cb, that's as close as I care to get anymore. :). 73, n9zas

Mustang131

But aren't most people on 11 meters also on drugs. Wasn't this 10 alternators mentioned in other CB threads? Especially when discussing illegal power on CB and how they do it. I also avoid CB now like the plague.

Your on a CB radio forum. This is a superbowl thread. Get over it.

Evgeni

Heh. So much power wasted.

Watts only matter so much.

Porbably wasting power using wide band too.

Then there's also the conditions, with bad conditions, he isn't getting out.

There's only so much that can be done with 11 meters.

The RF burns aren't worth it.

TheSpaceMann

Well it's certainly not for everyone, but that's kinda the nature of it, you get the sours, and the good ones.
Funny thing is that many hams that I know started out on CB! If you listen to some ham frequencies and repeaters today, you would swear that you were listening in on 11 meters!!! ;)

radiation8

I really wasn't trying to turn this into a CB vs HAM war, why is it that is what usually happens?

It doesn't matter what you are into, radios, cars, computers, heck even drones(Quadcopters to be correct), everyone has the bad apples. I thought this could stay on topic with out turning into that.

Yes I am aware of the animosity between the 2, but like I said before the person I met "while granted what he was showing me may be illegal to transmit on, though not illegal to own" he was generally a nice guy, and seemed very intelligent.

In the travel world CB is great!, keeps me informed with the traffic, my friends who have Jeeps/offroading use it, and heck if your board with listening to the music, just turn on CH19, when there isn't traffic great entertainment!

Mustang131

I really wasn't trying to turn this into a CB vs HAM war, why is it that is what usually happens?

It doesn't matter what you are into, radios, cars, computers, heck even drones(Quadcopters to be correct), everyone has the bad apples. I thought this could stay on topic with out turning into that.

Yes I am aware of the animosity between the 2, but like I said before the person I met "while granted what he was showing me may be illegal to transmit on, though not illegal to own" he was generally a nice guy, and seemed very intelligent.

In the travel world CB is great!, keeps me informed with the traffic, my friends who have Jeeps/offroading use it, and heck if your board with listening to the music, just turn on CH19, when there isn't traffic great entertainment!

Yep. The topic is beat to death. But the old timers on the ball are real characters.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't call Channel 19 great entertainment unless one is into listening to sewer chatter. I just am not entertained by every second word starting with F. Not sure where the entertainment is in that.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I wouldn't call Channel 19 great entertainment unless one is into listening to sewer chatter. I just am not entertained by every second word starting with F. Not sure where the entertainment is in that.
Neither am I, but keep in mind that not everyone behaves that way on the air, ch.19 or not. :wink: 73, n9zas

dmack550

Premium Subscriber
Yeah Radiation8 I get tired of the "elitist"attitude of hams. Yes we know you have a license, expensive radios yada yada.. We get it.. You are better than us hillbilly cb'ers. How about we all agree to appreciate each other's hobbies and equipment and leave it at that. There are good and bad people in each hobby(I have heard some pretty filthy hams too) so let's just enjoy both and respect both, ok???

Hans13

Well said, dmack550. The attitude of many hams discouraged me for decades from taking an amateur radio license.

Hans13

There are also a lot of hams who arent *******s...

That is also true. Unfortunately, I hve encountered far more of the bad apples than the good. Usually, it was during one of the many times I had decided to take an amateur radio license.

Status
Not open for further replies.