A new item adding to a NYPD cops crime fighting belt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ff026

Feed Provider
it's not serious trouble, the "typed letterhead" that the article refers to is a UF-49 or 49. they are done for all types of things!

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
That's just bureaucratic speak for "If we don't make this hard, people will fill their houses with these things." and they would too. So they require a form, signed by the supervisor, to get another one if you lose it.

Spec

The sad truth is that it's another piece of crap you have to wear or take a rip for. Years ago we started to carry latex gloves in our caps or somewhere on our belt to protect us. Then it was mandatory . Then came the the useless 20 minute gas masks that were later changed to the military types. Take a good look at the uniform...it's getting close to what the average GI wears in Iraq :) I'm not saying they are bad things but when the start ripping you for not having your Pruell that's over the top. Now on second thought it could be looked at as more weight to carry keeps the cop trimmer. Bottom line is you have to clean up after each contact as you really can't tell who's carrying what these days.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
the real question is ..Is that a Vertex on his belt? I thought NYPD was in bed with Motorola?

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
Take a good look at the uniform...it's getting close to what the average GI wears in Iraq :)

Yeah man, I've seen it, it's pretty crazy. I used to work security on a site where I was tromping through the woods on foot for 7+ miles a shift and thought I felt like infantry then...NYPD is pretty much carrying as much junk now as I used to.

It took a few years for my back to get right again from carrying all that weight on a gun belt too and I only did it for about 5yrs. Getting to the point where straps over the shoulders are needed to balance the load.

ff026

Feed Provider
It is not a requirement as of yet to carry it, it is optional. As far as the vertex's go it has been discussed here before. Most Precinct's and PDU's have the vertex, ESU has the Vertex and the SSE5000. Motorola bought vertex over a year ago.

sc800

Most cops I know will NOT be wearing that. White container with bright blue lettering, contrasting to a background of a dark blue uniform and black duty rig. They might as well put a bullseye on that thing.

JoeyC

They might as well put a bullseye on that thing.

HUH? :confused:

This is personal protective gear, and probably a good idea considering all the scum they encounter daily. There is nothing about it that suggests "I am a cop, take aim at me." :confused:

sc800

I would have to disagree. On a nightshift standing footpost, or especially if they are trying to sneak up on someone in an alleyway or similar, they have a bright white container on their duty belt with NYPD in an oversized bright blue font. I would say that it would become a target.

ff026

Feed Provider
I would have to disagree. On a nightshift standing footpost, or especially if they are trying to sneak up on someone in an alleyway or similar, they have a bright white container on their duty belt with NYPD in an oversized bright blue font. I would say that it would become a target.

Absolutely true!

JoeyC

In all seriousness. A uniformed NYPD cop would be recognizable as a cop in his uniform alone. A can of gel on his belt no more makes him a target than his service revolver, tazer, badge or patch would.

JoeyC

After taking a second look at the photo I still don't see the big deal. The dispenser looks to be about 3inches long, yes has big letters, but given the size of the overall device in relation to the size of the officer, doesn't look like a bulls-eye to me. Worried about the white on dark appearance? Black tape.

People are often quick to criticize employers for policies they deem stupid or unnecessary. If it wasn't for your litigeous society these measures wouldn't be common. Problem is, somebody is probably receiving medical treatment (or has sued) and work comp is footing the bill as it was work related. As an attempt to mitigate future occurances the department, OSHA or whoever says the department should now carry around this gel as a deterrent to future contaminations, limiting their liabilitys in the matter.

Spec

Trust this..they'll last 6 months, fall off, get broken, be given away etc etc.and the city will cut the money for the stuff and not replace the units. After the One PP gang all stop feeling good.. It will become a moot point as so many things do here.

Last edited:

auxscan

Trust this..they'll last 6 months, fall off, get broken, be given away etc etc.and the city will cut the money for the stuff and not replace the units. After the One PP gang all stop feeling good.. It will become a moot point as so many things do here.

I think its pretty common sense in the feild of law enforcment that you'll encounter germs, unsanitary situations. Why force cops to carry a white pouch on their all already packed belt, when a travel size sanitizer fits perfectly in any pocket.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
In all seriousness. A uniformed NYPD cop would be recognizable as a cop in his uniform alone. A can of gel on his belt no more makes him a target than his service revolver, tazer, badge or patch would.

Apparently, you don't know the theory of not being easily seen or heard. The key holder immediately behind the sanitizer is a perfect example. It is designed to keep the keys from jingling and to hide the keys from view, so that the bright metal doesn't catch light while the wearer is attempting to operate in a stealthy mode. In a dark alley or building, where the element of surprise might be the only advantage a cop has, a bright white item might give away their location, making it a liability to wear, and providing a targeting location, should someone wish to aim at them under less than perfect lighting conditions. Years ago, they started training officers to hold their flashlights off to their side when operating in dark conditions because people would target on the light. It may not be perfect, but the less you have that can catch light, the better off you are.

JamesPrine

I imagine someone will design a 'police tactical hand sanitizer dispenser' in stealthy, silent black sooner or later <g>.

I worked with a huge (around) policeman back in the late 70's who wore a Sam Browne belt that was something Batman would have envied...Smith & Wesson Model 65 revolver, full-size wood nightstick, Motorola radio, S&W handcuffs, keys, Buck Hunter folding knife, G.I. first aid kit, Safariland speed loaders for the .38 Special cartridges, six 12-gauge shotgun shells, and a box of FIFTY spare .38 Special cartridges! That boy couldn't run fast, but if he caught you, you were in BIG trouble LOL.

Oh yes, the Model 65 was 'buffed out' until it looked like it was shiny nickel, and he had custom wooden stocks with tiny badges inset on the sides.

But I suspect that this hand sanitizer 'option' is going to cost a lot of money and will disappear as soon as another politically correct "feel good" issue appears...c'est la vie.

BTW, I used to lug around 3 sets of metal handcuffs and had plastic flex cuffs in my hat, too. Ah, for the good old days...

Status
Not open for further replies.