A Uniden Scanner for Southern Georgian Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagman007

I am a newbie to scanning, and would like advice from fellow Georgian Bayer's
as to which Uniden Scanner would be best for this region. I live up on the Escarpment
between Meaford and Thornbury.
Thanks!

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Any of the digital scanners if you want to listen to the OPP. You have a choice:

996XT, Home Patrol, 396XT. The 996 is a base scanner and the 396 hand held. The Home Patrol is sorta both, cant really carry it around unless you wear bulky clothes.

You can get by on a Uniden 346XT if you want to listen to the EMS as they are analogue.

I am not sure who policies your area of Grey Co and Simcoe Co and if they are scannable but I'd go with any of the digital ones above.

jagman007

Thanks, fellow Scanner!

"I'll do my research!"

Any of the digital scanners if you want to listen to the OPP. You have a choice:

996XT, Home Patrol, 396XT. The 996 is a base scanner and the 396 hand held. The Home Patrol is sorta both, cant really carry it around unless you wear bulky clothes.

You can get by on a Uniden 346XT if you want to listen to the EMS as they are analogue.

I am not sure who policies your area of Grey Co and Simcoe Co and if they are scannable but I'd go with any of the digital ones above.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Since the OPP patrol your area, you'll need something digital capable.

Blue Mountains works uses TRBO so you won't be able to listen with them. It's rumoured Blue Mountains fire will be going TRBO as well. Keep your fingers crossed that this isn't so.

Any recent Uniden scanner or GRE scanner that does digital should be fine.

jagman007

Thanks for Information!

Since the OPP patrol your area, you'll need something digital capable.

Blue Mountains works uses TRBO so you won't be able to listen with them. It's rumoured Blue Mountains fire will be going TRBO as well. Keep your fingers crossed that this isn't so.

Any recent Uniden scanner or GRE scanner that does digital should be fine.
***************************************************************************************************
Pardon my ignorance, but what is TRBO?
Does a base scanner have any advantages over a hand-held?

moonbounce

Buy a $25 usb dongle r820t along with SDR Sharp and DSD 1.6 and a VB Cable and you can decode Apco 25.
PM me if you need any help.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
'TRBO' refers to MotoTRBO... It's a different digital format that is becoming quite popular with many utility companies, business users and some smaller public safety agencies. There currently are no scanners on the market that work with MotoTRBO.

Status
Not open for further replies.