Abilene PD Encroaching Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadguy

It seems that Patrol B is enc and Service A is as well. I also haven't noticed any traffic on the more "interesting" channels in quite a while.

Does anyone have any input?

It's kinda rough getting a new scanner, paying for the PV upgrade, only to have everything go dark again. I guess that's how it goes though...

Thanks in advance!

bailly2

Could sell it of course, or monitor the input frequencies attenuated with a short stub nascar antenna which may tell you if something is happening nearby, then walk around your block with your video camera and post it to youtube. With a regular stock antenna, the input frequencies not attenuated seems to get a range of 3 miles indoors

fasteddy64

APD decided to encrypt everything except Patrol A, which is now known as PD.

New portable radios (XG-75's) were issued to all officers last week, new mobiles will be installed next.

New radios will be issued to the fire department next, at which time TAC-2 will go encrypted but nothing else will be.

This is all part of the planned migration from EDACS to Phase II.

Ed

Deadguy

Maybe. I still am glad I purchased it though.

Hey Fasteddy64, that sounds like it would be a pretty cool job!

That being said, do you know (if you are allowed to say) what other talk groups we can expect to be enc?

For now I'll assume pretty much anyone that is currently PV...

Did this have anything to do with the PV upgrade for scanners or is that coincidence?

One last question (sorry, I'm full of them)...when do you think we will see Phase 2 in Abilene?

Again, thanks for the info!

fasteddy64

I don't expect anything else of the city's to be encrypted, not sure about Hendricks or ACU.

The encryption probably would have happened anyway, for sure when the changeover occurs it would have.

Phase II is probably about three years out.

Last edited:

fasteddy64

We have a batch of 10 that have been in service about three years and I am not aware of any on them.

I haven't heard about the new batch, my department hasn't issued them yet.

nd5y

Some of the current Uniden models will receive unecrypted ProVoice and you can also do it with SDRs or discriminator tapped receivers and DSD+.

Last edited:

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
It seems that Patrol B is enc and Service A is as well. I also haven't noticed any traffic on the more "interesting" channels in quite a while.

Does anyone have any input?

It's kinda rough getting a new scanner, paying for the PV upgrade, only to have everything go dark again. I guess that's how it goes though...

Thanks in advance!
It seems like that when they move to p2 Encryption is soon to follow every where,here in Brownsville they went to p2 and less than an year they went Encryption.....

Deadguy

Yeah...I figured they would jump on ENC as soon as I heard they were going phase 2. All those years on Provoice...they seem to enjoy their "privacy."

Deadguy

I noticed that sometimes the fire department traffic will patch over to what was, as of late, Patrol B in analog. Why do (did) they do this? Now that this is an enc channel will this still happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.