AC power cord for Uniden HomePatrol 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherrikat

Can someone (UPMan?) tell me if a regular AC power cord is available for the Uniden HomePatrol 2? I should receive the unit tomorrow from Amazon, but, as I understand, it only comes battery-enabled and with an alternate USB port to power it from your computer. I intend to use it as a desktop unit, so plugging it into the wall would be great! :)

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Can someone (UPMan?) tell me if a regular AC power cord is available for the Uniden HomePatrol 2? I should receive the unit tomorrow from Amazon, but, as I understand, it only comes battery-enabled and with an alternate USB port to power it from your computer. I intend to use it as a desktop unit, so plugging it into the wall would be great! :)

A commonly available wall wart that supplies standard USB interface power is fine. Cell phone charger etc.

For lower powered units, the batteries will not charge when the scanner is on. Higher powered units ( >1000 mA ) will charge the batteries when the scanner is on.

Check the HP2 owner's manual, bottom of page 29 and top of page 30, for detailed info and specifications.

Just as a side note, even when you are connected to AC power, the batteries should be kept in the scanner for certain functions to operate (such as recording and replay). Those functions will not operate on AC power alone.

Last edited:

Sherrikat

Thanks to both of you! Yes, I did find one on Amazon that specifically says it will work on the HP2. I thought I looked before, but . . . ?? Oh, well.

Fxdscon, I think you mean that a "wall wart" is just a cell phone charger type thing. That's good, 'cause I can just run over to Walmart or Office Depot and pick one up! :)

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Mine is plugged into my PC all the time, as this connection is used for database updates as well. You should keep batteries in it too because recording and replay will not work without batteries. I charge my batteries in an external charger.

ChrisABQ

The power cord that I purchased from Amazon powers and charges the unit fine. The USB, however, is quite different. If the scanner traffic is slow, it will charge the batteries during operation. If it's busy, there will be a very slow drain on the batteries while plugged in.

Sherrikat

ChrisABQ, yes, that sounds like another reason to go with a regular power cord. And, plugging things into my laptop on the table in front of me sounds like an awkward "wires everywhere" situation!

Baker845

Does any one know why Uniden stopped supplying ac wall power plugs with there handheld scanners?

Baker845

Thanks, that's odd reason not to supply them. For the price of the handheld scanners it be great to have them supplied.

Baker845

Makes sense, no one should be charge batteries in the scanner. But just power supply to power the scanner other then batteries that plugs in the wall would be nice. I had BC-125AT scanner and powered the scanner with USB cable plugged into the wall, it had a lot noise on the everything I would receive.

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Yes. If you don't want to charge in the scanner (which is perfectly OK to do most of the time), then select "Don't Charge" when prompted.

majoco

Stirrer
But take note of what Baker245 said...

I had BC-125AT scanner and powered the scanner with USB cable plugged into the wall, it had a lot noise on the everything I would receive.

Those wall-wart power supplies have a square-wave oscillator in them that radiates wide band noise and may interfere with your radio.

Baker845

When I had that scanner, i only plugged it in once into the well with USB cable plug because the interfere took out everything i would receive.

Sherrikat

Sounds like this will take some experimentation. Just got the package an hour ago! Unfortunately, just promised a friend I'd go shopping with her, LOL! Will play with it later!

Status
Not open for further replies.