ACARS in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb872033

Interested in monitioring ACARS in Cromwell...dont know wether this is the appropriate place to post this or not soooo mods feel free to move it if seen fit...what are my chances of picking up these data bursts? wanted to know before i download anything that i need...has anyone monitored from this area? seems like an interesting part of scanning that i have yet to dabble in...input appreciated...i have an old bc-350a that i would ike to use for this endevor and a roof mounted hustler dcl BTW thanks again!!

JB

jb872033

I know this...i have ability to monitor these frequencies and actually downloaded the program but i am wondering about monitoring range...will i actually pick up these bursts in relation to where i am and where the airports are? in terms of range i am reffering to (am i too far away)...i dont get much air band traffic in general and cant realyl find like a directory or anything

JB

Last edited:

cg

Premium Subscriber
you may see only the aircraft (downlink) portion of the message. the ground (uplink) while higher power may not have much earth coverage. You may need to be relatively close to the transmitter

chris

MikeMike

Premium Subscriber
You should pick up a decent amount...

I think you'll be surprised on how much you may pick up since the altitude of the aircraft greatly increases your line of sight ability to catch the signals.

You'll catch the International push each night as planes from the NYC area head over seas. I listen too them come up from the NYC area as they navigate to MERIT intersection and then are cleared direct to HFD and beyond. In the afternoon you'll most likely pick up a decent amount of return International traffic as well. Traffic to/from Boston bisects the area but again, how much you pick up will depend on your antenna set-up.

I haven't done any ACARS decoding in a few months but as someone else previously said, chances are, you'll only get the airborne side of things. I don't think I ever received any of the uplink messages from my location here on the shoreline which I was surprised about since I get the ground side from a number of ATC facilities both in CT and on Long Island. I thought that if the ground side of ATC came in clear, the uplink side would have too since those uplink transmitters typically reside at or near ATC facilities as well.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Give it a whirl and let us know how it goes.

Best,
MikeMike

Status
Not open for further replies.