Accepting Money for Broadcast ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornbread33

As you all know it is quite expensive to buy equipment to Broadcast with.
My Question is , would it be wrong or Violate RR guidelines to accept donations for providing a Feed ?
I am currently disabled and do not have a Income and I'm just trying to Prepare for the future and the cost of upgrading my Equipment.
I was thinking of adding a Feed to my Blogspot page where i could run adds through Google AdSense to Receive Monthly checks, but I want to do things the right way and the honest way so thats why im asking here , thanks

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
No not at all. Only thing we ask is to keep solicitations in the "Additional Details" area and out of the "status", alert, or "secondary description".

Last edited:

PeterGV

K1PGV
... I'm sorry to have to say that getting any "profit or compensation resulting, in whole or in part, from the use of" ScannerCast violates the ScannerCast license terms (see them on my web site at the bottom of this page).

Of course, if you WANTED to use ScannerCast and accept donations to help defray your expenses (and not make any profit)... if you were to send me an email and ask for a license to do so, I would be happy to provide you one at no charge.

Peter
K1PGV

D

DaveNF2G

Using radio traffic that you received directly over a radio for profit violates Federal law.

PeterGV

K1PGV
Lest anyone wonder, Cornbread33 has been granted a license (at no cost) to use ScannerCast and collect voluntary donations on his web site.

It was darn good of him to ask and not simply assume... shows the man is of good character.

Peter
K1PGV

SQUAD109

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

DaveNF2G said:
Using radio traffic that you received directly over a radio for profit violates Federal law.

Then how does rr and all those scanner apps make money ?

K

kb0nly

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Then how does rr and all those scanner apps make money ?

Those scanner apps your paying for the cost of developing and licensing the app itself, not for the feed content. I believe RR gets around this the same way, if you pay for a subscription to the site your just paying for the site content and not the actual feed content.

Correct me if i am wrong??

D

DaveNF2G

The people who write the software can charge for development and sale of the programs.

Users of the software don't have the same rights or privileges. While the person who wrote a particular program may authorize users to collect fees or donations, such users cannot use the excuse that they are being compensated for development costs. Their feed exists solely because someone else is communicating via two-way radio.

Personal gain from the interception or use of those communications is illegal.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin

Personal gain from the interception or use of those communications is illegal.

Per the FCC's own website:

Section 705 prohibits a person from using an intercepted radio communication for his or her own benefit. One court held that, under this provision, a taxicab company may sue its competitor for wrongfully intercepting and using for its benefit radio communications between the company’s dispatchers and drivers. A more recent Supreme Court decision, however, questions the ability of the government to regulate the disclosure of legally-obtained radio communications, and this area of the law remains unsettled.

Interception and Divulgence of Radio Communications

Nowhere does it state or even suggest that one can't charge a fee or accept donations to provide a service, such as streaming audio online. The law refers to the misuse of the specific information itself heard within the radio transmission for personal gain. It's a pretty big stretch to assume the law also covers streaming audio.

one11sgt

As a Police Officer myself, I'd like to be compensated for providing the transmission that allows your feed to provide audio to his app......

Sound a little ridiculous? I think so.......

A donation for cost compensation is good.....profit..no good. Im talking morally here not legally.

Status
Not open for further replies.