active shooter, st charles cty, officer returned fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

teufler

12:15 am 12/29/16 on 24170, shooter is in the woods, around muegge and mexico, around old muegge. Setting up command post. Officer not hit but his vehile was, returned fire.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Thosed gosh darned TV stations. Giving out all the specific details about specific addressess and total number of victims and the time it happened. And they share that info with thousands of viewers. Not just, maybe, about 30 or so scanner listeners for a specific hobby. Just read it all on the internet.

I know you won't agree but it's basically the same thing just a few hours old. That's we hobbyists do do this. To hear it live.

Just an opinion.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
It's just not as bad as you think. There are agencies that want encryption for officer safety. At least that is what they say. Encryption has not protected one officer in this area that has been shot or attacked while on duty. But getting back to telling everyone about breaking news, sort of. The original message was on this website and intended for the people in this hobby. We all should know about being proffessional and respect what is happening and we should enjoy the hobby. Have a great weekend.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
"news" that is almost 24 hours old is not news.
read the time it started and what time he posted it.

It was posted about 20 or 30 minutes after the incident started. Not 24 hours! I was also listening at the time it took place and saw the post here shortly after. I actually received an email from the site as that state forum is on my watch list to alert me of new posts.
Maybe your time settings are off on these new forums? I think mine were but I don't think they were off by 24 hours. This incident occurred just past midnight local time. Depending on your time zone, that initial post may have appeared to be from the 28th but it was actually posted on the 29th shortly after it took place. I could see that making it look like the post was from 24 hours earlier!

I do see the OP posted the year incorrectly though. He stated 2016 instead of 2018! Is that what you are referring to? I could see that as I doubt it made national news so you would have not seen local news coverage.

Last edited:

wtp

i was in error.
i read the time wrong.
this is what happens when you retire and don't know what day it is.
also he did not give anything away that would compromise anything.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
i was in error.
i read the time wrong.
this is what happens when you retire and don't know what day it is.
also he did not give anything away that would compromise anything.

Ha! I retired recently and asking me what day it is, is definitely the wrong thing to ask. I know the feeling well.

No, nothing was said that would have compromised this situation. Had it happened just before the 5PM news, it would have been all over that within seconds anyway, probably before it was posted about online. It was definitely nothing the news media has not been doing for a many a year.

Cowracer

and this is why they want encryption!!!! it is against the damn law to repeat what you hear from a police scanner!! and you take it steps further by writing it and posting it on an internet forum.... some people just shouldn't be allowed to ruin it for others, maybe they need to make it so anyone who wants to use a scanner should be licensed, maybe (though highly doubtful) some would think before they blab it all over the internet.

They only 'want' encryption simply because its free on a digital system. A simple check of a box on a configuration screen and BOOM! Encryption is on. If any department had to go hat in hand to the taxpayers and ask for the money for all the encryption equipment for an old analog system, they wouldn't even bother.

It's like the back up camera that came on the SUV I recently bought. I really didn't want it. I wouldn't pay a dime for it if it was optional. But I have it, and I use it (only because I have it).

Same thing with encryption.

Tim

P.S. Just wait for the first time for a LEO to be put in harms way because something screwy happened in the encryption system and they couldn't communicate...

Hans13

some people just shouldn't be allowed to ruin it for others,

This is always such a childish statement. One is not responsible for "ruining it for others." It's a laughable comment made from ignorance and fear. It is scape-goating. The only people responsible for actions are the people taking the actions. :rolleyes:

it's still against the law for us to rebroadcast what we hear in any form of media.

By "rebroadcasting" are you referring to writing about it as is the case in this thread? If so, citation please.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
This did make the local news here finally late last night or early this morning. Complete with broadcastify audio clips even though none of it really revealed anything. Plus it is a couple days after the fact now.

Status
Not open for further replies.