Add a forum group section - suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2xq

Mentor
Wayne and others, please consider adding a "Space Weather and Radio Propagation" group topic (forum?) for threads related to space weather and radio propagation.

My request derives from this http://forums.radioreference.com/hf-mw-lw-general-discussion/235279-solar-flare.html#post1719668 post that cuts across many forums including HF/MWLW, Amateur Radio, and Skip/Tropospheric Ducting and probably more. Where to put it?

Such breaking news gets lost in the threads. My post above, theoretically, could have been cross-posted in multiple forums and threads.

It was wild to watch the day unfold. The three flares since this afternoon @1922 UTC have played havoc with virtually everything. It was so bad that only 2m and 70cm repeaters close to me were audible, aircraft (108-132 MHz) were gone, and the only HF propagation was trans-equatorial. NA hams could only work the Caribbean via Sporadic E, European hams were working South America (primarily Brasil) via F2.

My experiences with solar cycle maximums goes back to the IGY of 1957-58 and I've been at a radio when the ionosphere gets played with. The afternoon blackout today was unique for me; I can't remember the last time when VHF/UHF groundwave was affected.

What say you all? Thanks for "listening."

Last edited:

w2xq

Mentor
Severe weather, as I understand it, is terrestrial. That would be quite different than space weather dealing with the sun's burps and spots that affects the ionosphere, satellites, broadcast, ham, CB, utility, VHF and UHF radio, cutting across a number of forums and threads on RR. There was another upset earlier today: 3-day GOES X-ray Flux Monitor. It turned the daylight section of the Near-Real-Time MUF Map red, something I haven't seen recently. Does this help?

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Where to put it?
There should be a thread under Community Announcements. That would supersede any other forum. Next below that would be General Scanning. Ideally it would be Community Announcements.

In order to create a thread it would need to be something that was active all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.