ADS-B HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab5r

I purchased a FlightAware Pro Plus dongle in hopes of it interfacing with VirtualRadar software. However, after posts with two Google Groups, I am totally confused as to how to get this dongle operating with a graphical display. I'm not sure if it will even work with VirtualRadar?

I need to know WHAT program(s) that it will work with the dongle and HOW to accomplish that, please.

I have been told that it would not work with SDRPlay Dump-1090 software. That makes sense as I am using the FlightAware dongle. Another approach suggested was the use of SDR# and AirSpy software. That does not help either. I am TOTALLY confused now. There are tons of operators that are operating ADS-B; so, it seems that it should be doable.

Thanks for any help.
Jerry

gootch

Here is what I use. I use a raspberry pi computer. I had no experience with Linux or raspberry pi and it was relatively easy to set up following the instructions closely. I really enjoy watching and listening with my scanner the real time planes around my area and the free subscription to Flight Aware.

ab5r

Yep, I saw those descriptions & directions for PIAWARE, but did not want to invest that much at this time. I too am Linux Deficient. But, I am running a RaspberryPi Shake seismometer, but THEY did the software programming! Works great. Thanks for reply.

ab5r

KE5MC, Thank you. All the text didn't help much, BUT the video at he end DID. In fact, I am up and running!!!!!
Thanks a million.
Jerry AB5R

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Jerry,
Good to see you are up and running. Learning can takes many paths to the same objective.
73, Mike

ab5r

Yep, you are right. Seems like there were several Dump1090 versions out there, and I finally found one that fit the video instructions. Being an OLD TIMER, I like the "Follow the bouncing ball" method......aka step by step.

Regards

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
There is an ADS-B group on facebook that has ALL of the answers as to getting a dongle to talk to the different servers..I feed 3 servers with my cheapo Chinese dongle..

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Just adding ideas if you have an iPad, iPhone or apple pc you can get stratux and a pi 3b. I have this and enjoy 1090 and 978 hits. No internet required to use it. I use FltPlan go app it maps nicely and shows difference between1090 and 978 hits.

hfflunki

I use a piaware and I just recently went to text only format cause of lack of solid internet the cli command after you enter manual sighn in is dump1090-fa it will give you all the icao and flight info the monitor on the right is dump1090 and my rtlsdr is also pictured
e77fc4c53126b93c3b0c1723e7d0b1a4.jpg
fc15709c04576e868598968a7fdc47f1.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OKMEDIC

I purchased a FlightAware Pro Plus dongle in hopes of it interfacing with VirtualRadar software. However, after posts with two Google Groups, I am totally confused as to how to get this dongle operating with a graphical display. I'm not sure if it will even work with VirtualRadar?

I need to know WHAT program(s) that it will work with the dongle and HOW to accomplish that, please.

I have been told that it would not work with SDRPlay Dump-1090 software. That makes sense as I am using the FlightAware dongle. Another approach suggested was the use of SDR# and AirSpy software. That does not help either. I am TOTALLY confused now. There are tons of operators that are operating ADS-B; so, it seems that it should be doable.

Thanks for any help.
Jerry

Which part are you having trouble with? I’ve done it in the past but I’m about to do it again and am happy to walk you through it. Is there a point you get to and then start having problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ab5r

OKMEDIC Thanks alot for your offer. I have it working now. So, help isn't needed now. I would like to find an operator's manual for FlightAware software. It would be helpful to know more.

Status
Not open for further replies.