ADS-B without the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I want to add ADS-B capabilities to a Ham Radio ARES EmComm Trailer. Primary use will be when the Internet is unavailable. Most of my research has shown that current receivers/software require Internet hook-up. I don't want that. suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

kma371

QRT
No internet is required. You can use soft ware like PlanePlotter to decode data from the SDR receiver.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
ads-b no internet

Build a stratux setup with a pi3b. Shown here there's two sdr's for 978 and 1090 the info is sent out wifi from the pi to any ipad or macbook with wifi. Works great no internet required. I have not tried to connect with other wifi devices. The GPS add on puts your stratux on the map. Pretty simple build. The box I had 3D printed from thingyverse.com.

Attachments

• IMG_0480.jpg
    IMG_0480.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 781
  • IMG_0481.jpg
    IMG_0481.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 770

spongella

Premium Subscriber
No internet needed, just a computer with the correct software ( I use SDR# and ADSB Scope), a SDR dongle and an antenna that covers 1090 MHz. You can easily build a simple ADS-B antenna from RG/6 coax.

There's a bit of a learning curve to using an SDR dongle though. Good luck and I hope you get a station set up soon.

The antenna is important, it should be outside for best results.

Last edited:

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
I use a $20 dongle, connected to the laptop in my truck, running Dump1090 and Plane Plotter. No internet necessary. I routinely see aircraft in CO, WY, KS, NE and NM, on my daily commute around Denver.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info/help. Because of a long story, I do not allow MAC into the trailer. So that limits my options. An external antenna is not a problem and I wanted something a bit more "robust" than a dongle, but that may be the way to go. I thank you for sharing your knowledge. I'll let you know what I ended up with.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
No MAC

You can connect Stratux to a droid tablet also. There are Droid EFB apps available for free.

D

DaveNF2G

There are several older hardware solutions that work just as well and don't require construction or programming skills to set up.

I still use a ModeS Beast. There is also the MicroADSB, along with some others.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
Well, now I know what not to do. I purchased the FlightAware Prostick Plus hoping it would work for me. Now I find (I should have read the fine print first) that to get it to work, I need to purchase a Raspberry Pi3, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and power supply. (Did I miss anything?) Once purchased, it needs internet connection and some 2+ hours of programming to maybe work. A bit more complicated that I was hoping for. But, hey, I learn something new. I had hoped to operate with a Netbook and not have a lot of cables connecting everything together. I will get it to work. I do thank you for your comments and guidance.

morfis

...... I wanted something a bit more "robust" than a dongle...

No idea what you mean by 'robust'?
I've used various 'hardware' decoders and find that the simple 'dongle with a raspberry pi work as well as any of them did (and at a fraction of the cost).

What you need will depend on exactly what you want and what equipment you have available already for the initial set up.
I have several rasberry pi 3's with multiple dongles set up on them. All headless and set up was done from a PC with internet access (the only time internet access is actually required is for download of software).

Didn't take long to download an OS image (lite rasberian version) then add in the required software (in my case dump1090 mutability and spyserver). Everything set to start on boot. They connect to my network over wifi but could connect as easily (though aesthetically more messy) using cat5. The network runs a copy of modesmixer which then feeds a custom version of Virtual Radar Server (or planeplotter if I want to run in bloated memory leak mode!) for the display.
The setup would work without modesmixer but it's in there for another reason.

(the other dongles and spyserver are for various other monitoring projects)

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Agree, the dongles are robust.

I developed a custom raspberry pi solution, using Python, that collects and displays ADS-B data on a mini TFT display mounted right on the pi. Civilian and military aircraft are identified. The results are logged which I later load into a SQL database for analysis. The internet is only used to get the current date and time. I have logged tens of millions of rows of data with no issues.

Attachments

• ads-b-small.jpg
    ads-b-small.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 504

KO4RJX

Premium Subscriber
Well, now I know what not to do. I purchased the FlightAware Prostick Plus hoping it would work for me. Now I find (I should have read the fine print first) that to get it to work, I need to purchase a Raspberry Pi3, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and power supply. (Did I miss anything?) Once purchased, it needs internet connection and some 2+ hours of programming to maybe work. A bit more complicated that I was hoping for. But, hey, I learn something new. I had hoped to operate with a Netbook and not have a lot of cables connecting everything together. I will get it to work. I do thank you for your comments and guidance.
While I will agree a RaspberryPi works best with the flightaware set up, it takes 10 minutes to download the image and load it onto a SD card. No 2 hour "programming" is required.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Build a stratux setup with a pi3b. Shown here there's two sdr's for 978 and 1090 the info is sent out wifi from the pi to any ipad or macbook with wifi. Works great no internet required. I have not tried to connect with other wifi devices. The GPS add on puts your stratux on the map. Pretty simple build. The box I had 3D printed from thingyverse.com.

what brand of SDR's are you using? Its a slick setup.

gpsdepot

Premium Subscriber
no you dont

I have a few of the FlightAware sticks, they are USB and will work in any pc.

You do not have to use a Pi.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I thank you all for your responses to my plight. They have helped. I ended up with an RTL-SDR device, a FlightAware Mode S filter, SDR#, Dump1090, and PlanePlotter. A bit convoluted, but it works. Now I am going thru the learning stages of getting the SDR# settings to work best with the Mode S signals. Also trying different setting on the Charts of Planeplotter. I have a LOT to learn and try out.
Again, thank-you for your help, ideas, and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.