Advice needed for surveillance camera systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlford56

Hey Everyone,

I am new to this discussion place and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Carl and I am a store owner and wanted some piece of advice for surveillance camera system to install at my store because it's been a while since groceries at my store are getting lost. I think it's because of employee theft or due to some local visitors.
But I am not sure, therefore, I am thinking to install some security cameras in order to keep an eye on the ongoing activities in my store. I am also looking over the internet but don't understand what to install & where to get it from.
If anyone has some good suggestion, please help me. If possible try to suggest the cheapest cameras for this purpose. Thanks in advance :)

K7MEM

I was thinking of getting a surveillance system to put in my barn, so I can keep an eye on the horses and maybe the front/rear gates. I was then going to put it on my web site so that my borders could see how their horses were doing.

In looking around, the best prices that I have seen were at Sam's Club. They had quite a variety and included systems with 6, 8, and 10 cameras. Some of them were wireless and didn't need a lot of wiring. You just have to determine how many cameras are needed to give you good coverage. Many of the units are expandable so you can adjust as you go.

The XYL (wife for non-hams) works in a local quickie mart/gift shop (Shop Six Shooter Molly Trading Co. for all your Wild West and Rustic Home decor Everything from Beautiful hand crafted Native American jewelry, Pendelton bedding, Funky Cowgirl Apparel and lots of fantastic Home decor/), that has cameras all over the place. There have been many employees that have gotten the boot, so to speak, when the tapes were reviewed. It also gives you a little legal edge if you have it all on tape.

Most places with camera setups don't review everything, everyday. They usually only do the review when there is something suspicious going on, like groceries disappearing.

carlford56

For my store, I would require a max of 8 cameras to cover each & every corner of it. Therefore, I was suggested by a representative of q-see.com to get a 4-channel DVR system as it would also record the video & won't just run in a loop that would delete the old footage. I checked their website and had a look at this product - https://www.q-see.com/products/product_description.php?cId=135&pId=300&id=135&pid=113
It appears to me that this product is compatible with the ongoing technology. It has all the features that are required in a complete surveillance camera system.

CapStar362

ZMODO are by far the BEST for the price systems available.

dont know how much your budget is.....

ZMODO 8 CH Channel DVR Outdoor Home CCTV Surveillance Security Camera System 1TB | eBay

8 Channels of Hi-Res 600TVL on a 1TB Drive will get you plenty of coverage + Archive. Plus when not there, it has Night Vision

trying to find you a indoor system..........

Indoor: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zmodo-4-Cha...eillance_Security_Systems&hash=item54026e4ee6

8 channels is going to be better, cross coverage of hidden angles from 4 channels.

that 1TB Drive will give you 16 days of 24/7 Recording, and archive capability

Last edited:

QDP2012

Make sure picture-quality is good enough for your needs

... it's been a while since groceries at my store are getting lost. I think it's because of employee theft or due to some local visitors.
But I am not sure, therefore, I am thinking to install some security cameras in order to keep an eye on the ongoing activities in my store....

If all you want is a visual-awareness of movement in your store, then many of the systems available at your local "big-box bulk store" will accomplish this.

If you want to be able to actually identify someone clearly so that you can go to law-enforcement/court with a clear picture of their face and their "hand in the cookie jar", then you need to get a system with a high-enough resolution-rating so you can record your camera(s) feed(s) and later play them back and zoom in to verify/clarify what happened and who was/wasn't involved.

I know the quality of the consumer-grade systems has improved in recent years, but don't be surprised if the install-it-yourself 4/8-camera systems don't have enough resolution to satisfy law-enforcement or the courts.

Years ago, a store-manager I knew installed a "big-box DIY" 4-camera system to monitor/stop employee-related theft, but couldn't prove with clear-pictures what happened, and couldn't even fire the guy as a result. The manager ended up taking the blame and lost his job.

Hope this helps,

questnz

Second that, if you want better resolution, install NVR and better IP cameras with at least 1.3 to 2 megapixel resolution for clearer and wider picture. All DIY stuff is not really suitable for commercial installations. Here is an example from Q-See https://www.q-see.com/products/product_description.php?cId=140&pId=429&id=140&pid=114. You can install IP cameras over existing network structure or some cameras by wireless connection to the router. NVR also have POE build in (Power Ower Ethernet) so you can connect cameras with one UTP cable without running extra power supplies to cameras. Do your homework, don't install cameras where you cannot even identify offender due to low resolution picture. Difference in DVR and Security Camera Resolutions

Last edited:

carlford56

ZMODO are by far the BEST for the price systems available.

dont know how much your budget is.....

ZMODO 8 CH Channel DVR Outdoor Home CCTV Surveillance Security Camera System 1TB | eBay

8 Channels of Hi-Res 600TVL on a 1TB Drive will get you plenty of coverage + Archive. Plus when not there, it has Night Vision

trying to find you a indoor system..........

Indoor: ZMODO 4 Channel DVR 600TVL High Definition Outdoor Security Camera System 500GB | eBay

8 channels is going to be better, cross coverage of hidden angles from 4 channels.

that 1TB Drive will give you 16 days of 24/7 Recording, and archive capability

Okay, so I should get a 8 channel DVR system, thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate that.

carlford56

If all you want is a visual-awareness of movement in your store, then many of the systems available at your local "big-box bulk store" will accomplish this.

If you want to be able to actually identify someone clearly so that you can go to law-enforcement/court with a clear picture of their face and their "hand in the cookie jar", then you need to get a system with a high-enough resolution-rating so you can record your camera(s) feed(s) and later play them back and zoom in to verify/clarify what happened and who was/wasn't involved.

I know the quality of the consumer-grade systems has improved in recent years, but don't be surprised if the install-it-yourself 4/8-camera systems don't have enough resolution to satisfy law-enforcement or the courts.

Years ago, a store-manager I knew installed a "big-box DIY" 4-camera system to monitor/stop employee-related theft, but couldn't prove with clear-pictures what happened, and couldn't even fire the guy as a result. The manager ended up taking the blame and lost his job.

Hope this helps,

That is ridiculous. How could he took the blame on himself when he didn't do any mischief act. I don't want to get in a trouble, I would prefer a high resolution camera instead. Thanks it was really of help.

carlford56

Second that, if you want better resolution, install NVR and better IP cameras with at least 1.3 to 2 megapixel resolution for clearer and wider picture. All DIY stuff is not really suitable for commercial installations. Here is an example from Q-See https://www.q-see.com/products/product_description.php?cId=140&pId=429&id=140&pid=114. You can install IP cameras over existing network structure or some cameras by wireless connection to the router. NVR also have POE build in (Power Ower Ethernet) so you can connect cameras with one UTP cable without running extra power supplies to cameras. Do your homework, don't install cameras where you cannot even identify offender due to low resolution picture. Difference in DVR and Security Camera Resolutions

Q-see, yeah their products seem to be much appreciated all over. This product looks good. I myself looked over the other one on their website. I think it's time to give them a call again.
I understood the difference in DVR & security camera resolutions. Thanks a lot for this gesture :)

QDP2012

That is ridiculous. How could he took the blame on himself when he didn't do any mischief act. I don't want to get in a trouble, I would prefer a high resolution camera instead. Thanks it was really of help.

My earlier statement should have been "The manager ended up getting blamed for insufficient loss-prevention [strike]taking the blame[/strike] and lost his job. A better camera system might have helped prevent theft and/or prosecute the thief.

Last edited:

questnz

I only mention Q-See because someone already mentioned as a example, it is a good product with all facilities build in, Q-See stuff is made by another security product company Dahua. There are plenty more similar products but if Q-See have a solution and maybe local support it could be the ticket. Do you get 8 or 16 ports depends on location and layout of the premises and number of cameras required.
Allow for some extra cameras in the future, For overall store security there could be mixture of the cameras some for outside eg car park, doors, entry exit points, then inside entry doors, money tills, store in general, maybe few 360 degree cameras on the roof to have an overall picture of people movements and some wireless they can be easy shift to different location as required eg extra display.
Like I said, don't rush do your homework, work on SOLUTION not the price, talk to your IT cabling people you may have to run extra UTP cabling to store patch panel or directly to NVR secure location.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.