Yaesu: Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray_uk

Hi Group
Just joined up. I been on the CB a few years now. My Uncle was a Radio Ham user. Unfortunately passed away last year. I was left a brand new Yaesu FT 991. Havent a clue, but Im interested in becoming an amateur myseft and will be joining a club very soon. I will be just scanning at the moment and need to know what antenna connector I need on the HF side of the Radio. On the left is the common PL259, but the other not sure Maplins don't stock them. Anybody here got this Radio and what connector I need
Thanks for reading
Ray

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Ray-

According to the manual both antenna connectors are PL-259's. Your Uncle may have modified the radio. Can you post a picture of the back? Someone is bound to recognize it then.

ray_uk

Thanks for getting back to me. Here is a pic of the connector This is the UHF side on the Yaesu FT 991
I haven't got a manual for the transceiver, its definitely not a PL 259.
Thanks

ray_uk

Hi
Still not the socket. sorry Close, but the centre is a male pin. I need the connector from a G5RV to the Radio
Thanks
Ray

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
You need to post a picture.. It'll save a lot of guessing.

If you're not sure how.. Go to the 'Go Advanced' button below. Then choose "Manage attachments'. That will let you 'Choose File' on your hard drive and then upload it.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Ray-

A bit off topic but you can download the manual as a PDF from Yaesu's website. If you can't upload a picture, you may want to Google 'coax connector' and go through pictures until you find it.

A G5RV is usually a HF antenna so you should plug it into the HF antenna jack. Even though you are not licensed you can adjust a tuner for best signal heard without transmitting-A G5RV will likely require the tuner.

Hop this helps

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
WA0CBW, you are correct, my mistake when I posted

PL-259. Those are the male connector going to the SO-239 jack. Brain went south for some reason.

Also to the OP, below is a site with a chart showing the different connectors:

http://www.air802.com/files/RF_Connector_ID_Chart.pdf

Can you identify the jack from those listed?
hth

edit: that site is showing a PDF chart; hopefully you can download it. And there should be a "+" or "-" sign to enlarge or decrease the size of the images.

73s

Last edited:

Rred

If you don't have the real thing, download a PDF of the manual from Yaesu. That normally will also identify all the sockets. Most newer radios have a "secret factory reset" option, which will also be in the manual. That's to reset everything to factory defaults and give you a known place to start.

You'll find Gordon West makes some good books for learning ham radio and getting licensed, as does the ARRL itself. Each different, each good. While it is common to just memorize the answers, rather than learning the theories, you'll get more out of the radio and the hobby if you also spend time learning the theories behind it all.

RFI-EMI-GUY

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Well, I'm scratching my head.

The OP said that he has a Yaesu FT-991. I'm assuming that because of his user name and because he mentioned Maplins in his first post, that he's in England. It's not unusual for radios sold in Europe to have different connectors, such as N instead of UHF, than radios sold in North America. So, I went to the Martin Lynch & Sons web site and the photo they show of the back of the FT-991 shows two UHF connectors.

At this point, I'm not real sure what the OP has. He says the connector on the radio has a male pin, so I don't know what it is. I'll ask the OP to go back up to post #6 and make sure that photo doesn't match what he has. If that's not it, it's possible that his uncle put an adapter onto the HF connector.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Well, I'm scratching my head.

The OP said that he has a Yaesu FT-991. I'm assuming that because of his user name and because he mentioned Maplins in his first post, that he's in England. It's not unusual for radios sold in Europe to have different connectors, such as N instead of UHF, than radios sold in North America. So, I went to the Martin Lynch & Sons web site and the photo they show of the back of the FT-991 shows two UHF connectors.

At this point, I'm not real sure what the OP has. He says the connector on the radio has a male pin, so I don't know what it is. I'll ask the OP to go back up to post #6 and make sure that photo doesn't match what he has. If that's not it, it's possible that his uncle put an adapter onto the HF connector.

Being that you are moderator can you give him permission to upload a picture, or get from him by e-mail or PM?

The OP appears to be located in the UK. Sometimes the radios for the European market may have different RF connectors than an identical product for the US market.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Sorry, posting the pic went wrong...

Problem with Type N connectors is that a novice can mistakenly thread a PL259 onto an "N" chassis mount and with a bit of force destroy the center pins. I have an IC-970 from Japan on my repair shelf with that very problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.